Photo

New PS3 Slim announced

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:35

I'm sorry, I must be confused. Where does it say it won't have a hard drive?

It's on the 3rd and 4th line, where it mentions the 12GB of flash for a european model. Which is nearly useless with as many games that need an install.

I can't blame you for missing it though, if you use darkside. Since soooooooo many damn people around here are too damn lazy to fix the formatting when they post.

#17 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:35

So from what I can tell, the PS3 has actually gotten more expensive in the US with this new model. Makes me wonder at what price they're willing to se the PS4 at, especially with it's much newer technology.

On the design itself, it's not my favourite looking machine, though I've never been much taken with the curved design the PS3 had going on.

#18 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:45

It's on the 3rd and 4th line, where it mentions the 12GB of flash for a european model. Which is nearly useless with as many games that need an install.

I can't blame you for missing it though, if you use darkside. Since soooooooo many damn people around here are too damn lazy to fix the formatting when they post.

Thanks! My bad. I read that as 120GB. Clearly I need glasses! :)

#19 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:08

So what's the point in spending all that R&D money on this?

#20 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:22

You know some Kid wants one because well he told his Mom it is sonys new console and is better then his current so she will go out buy one then the kid be disappointing it is the same just smaller . No point in buying anything right now till Wii U is out

#21 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:01

So what's the point in spending all that R&D money on this?

To reduce production and material costs.

#22 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:57

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Fish

Fish

Slamdunk the funk

Posted 20 September 2012 - 17:18

I'll reserve judgement until i actually see one, but my first thought was "cheap", as in, build quality. That sliding door design looks horrible, but I'm sure they've saved a few Yen by not needing any motors to open a tray or pull a disk in and out. And that's what it's all about - saving a few cents on every unit. Sony and PS3 used to have an air of class around them. You pay more, but you get a better product. Not anymore, it seems.

#24 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 20 September 2012 - 17:30

I'll reserve judgement until i actually see one, but my first thought was "cheap", as in, build quality. That sliding door design looks horrible, but I'm sure they've saved a few Yen by not needing any motors to open a tray or pull a disk in and out. And that's what it's all about - saving a few cents on every unit. Sony and PS3 used to have an air of class around them. You pay more, but you get a better product. Not anymore, it seems.

The majority didn't want to spend $599 :p Ken Kutaragis model of throwing everything in an expensive box simply can't be sustained for consoles, Sony hurt badly early gen with their console price, even when the competition had crazily expensive accessories, the base price made the PS3 look bad.

This is without a doubt aimed at the casual crowd who don't own a PS3, all of us are simply sitting here pondering whether or not to replace our current PS3s. They've made it cheaper, made a new model which creates a buzz, and will watch sales like a hawk. If it's not moving enough towards Christmas a price cut will be easily done now that manufacturing is cheaper.

#25 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 September 2012 - 21:59

The majority didn't want to spend $599 :p Ken Kutaragis model of throwing everything in an expensive box simply can't be sustained for consoles, Sony hurt badly early gen with their console price, even when the competition had crazily expensive accessories, the base price made the PS3 look bad.

This is without a doubt aimed at the casual crowd who don't own a PS3, all of us are simply sitting here pondering whether or not to replace our current PS3s. They've made it cheaper, made a new model which creates a buzz, and will watch sales like a hawk. If it's not moving enough towards Christmas a price cut will be easily done now that manufacturing is cheaper.

the issue tho is it is the same inside as what your current PS3 has so the only change is the size of the system nothing more

#26 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 September 2012 - 22:01

Yes but will it blend?

#27 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 20 September 2012 - 22:02

the issue tho is it is the same inside as what your current PS3 has so the only change is the size of the system nothing more

Yeah I'm not getting it, more than happy with my fat slim.

#28 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 September 2012 - 22:36

the way i see it is that since the Wii U is right around the corner on the 18th of November it is a wast of time to buy a new current gen system and i havea feeling there will be kids who want a PS3 for christmas un awar of the Wii U and or maby there parents will just buy the new PS3 thinking what is the differance it is the same price or about or they will buy the new PS3 thinking it is all new inside as well because there kids siad ( oh mom dad the new playsation is out i got to have it )

#29 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:36

the way i see it is that since the Wii U is right around the corner on the 18th of November it is a wast of time to buy a new current gen system and i havea feeling there will be kids who want a PS3 for christmas un awar of the Wii U and or maby there parents will just buy the new PS3 thinking what is the differance it is the same price or about or they will buy the new PS3 thinking it is all new inside as well because there kids siad ( oh mom dad the new playsation is out i got to have it )

So if you haven't played any of the say, 30-40+ TOP games of this generation by now they should just be ignored?

Doesn't everyone remember how little a library a new system has?

Hard drive bay:

http://www.eurogamer....-playstation-3

Posted Image

#30 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:55

I don't think the 12Gb version supports an internal HDD, there is a post on NeoGAF with a 250Gb External drive that will only work on 12Gb version.

I'm glad I didn't blindly buy one, I was going to replace my slim and drop my HDD in it if the 12Gb version was cheap enough.

It is clearly marked PLAYSTATION 3, if they go out and buy it thinking its the next gen console they deserve to lose their money.