New PS3 Slim announced

They didn't intentionally make it big just so they can bring out smaller ones in the future, they were in a race against Microsoft to bring out the next generation of console first so they were limited by how much time they could put into it, but realistically the manufacturing tech that was available at the time I don't see it being much smaller.

And look at what happened to them for rushing out their console. If they took their time and used quality parts, the RROD of death would've been unheard of, at least at the numbers it was.

To you guys who answered my last post, call me jaded but somehow I think it's more just a money making scheme than it is waiting on new technologies and shrinking dies. Have we not already got 45nm CPUs for desktops and laptops? I call shenanigans.

How can you not lower the price. I never bought one before but I would of if it hit 200$ for the system and a game. Throw 2 controllers in there now. I know Sony is having problems with loss of money..but now they will not get mine. Maybe christmas time will bring those price cuts.
Not sure where you live but here in Canada, Walmart had a sale that included the 160GB PS3 plus all 3 Uncharted games and a controller for $200. I picked one up to replace the fat one I had that died. I've since sold all 3 games since I had no interest in them. I'm also intending to sell the hard drive since the 320GB I had from my old one still works (I just had to format it which made me livid because I lost hundreds of hours of gameplay). So mine has actually cost me less but that's beside the point.

To you guys who answered my last post, call me jaded but somehow I think it's more just a money making scheme than it is waiting on new technologies and shrinking dies. Have we not already got 45nm CPUs for desktops and laptops? I call shenanigans.

To an extent, you're right, it is a money making scheme, but only in a similar way to how car manufacturers release newer models of the same car every few years.

That said though, in this case it is true that advances in technology and manufacturing have enabled Sony to build a smaller, more efficient console. That kind of thing takes years to develop. If Sony could of released this version of PS3 originally they probably would of, but at the time it was simply not possible.