149 replies to this topic

#1 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,480 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:22

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really hoped I could say this criticism was unwarranted. Maps is a beautiful-looking app, with 3-D buildings and satellite imagery to rival anything in Google Earth. Turn-by-turn directions are provided by GPS industry leader TomTom.

Apple bought three mapping companies to make this happen, and has had years to refine it. How bad could it be?

The answer, I’m sad to say as an Apple fan, is very bad indeed. Almost unusably bad. Maps takes all the trust Apple has built up among its users over the years — trust that its products just work — and squanders nearly all of it in one go.

http://mashable.com/...apple-maps-app/

#2 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,374 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:25

It's bad. It can't even find the main shopping street from my location (which is just a couple of minutes walk away). What the hell were Apple thinking?

Does anyone know if Google will release an iOS version of Google Maps anytime soon?

Edit: Just read the linked article "soon" then :/

#3 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,283 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:27

It's bad. It can't even find the main shopping street from my location (which is just a couple of minutes walk away). What the hell were Apple thinking?

Does anyone know if Google will release an iOS version of Google Maps anytime soon?

I hope so the maps is very basic and the satellite view is now a blue blurry mess. Even shots of london look overly brown and lackluster. They should have waited a year to introduce maps.

#4 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,451 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:31

tom-tom has limited coverage where I'm at...

#5 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:34

Yeah It's bad, it's gone back to what Google Maps was like 3 or 4 years ago, maybe even longer.
I zoom into my street and it's badly pixelated, rather embarrassing, especially given the reputation of Apple for perfection.

#6 br0adband

br0adband

The one and only...

• 522 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:38

Apple innovation, it just works.

At least when they fix it, I suppose. And the saddest part is, as we've all come to expect and see brought to fruition, Apple will do some magical marketing doublespeak over this and in a month people will suddenly believe it was all part of the plan in the first place.

Just like the magical coating on the black iPhone 5 that now allows for purely individual personalization just by putting it in your pocket and walking a few steps - you get your own custom engraving right into the device itself from your keys, your change, and whatever else you carry!!!

I'd like to say I'm joking but, I'm not.

#7 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• 8,530 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:40

It's terrible.

#8 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,451 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:47

I don't think anything can beat google maps.... can it?

#9 br0adband

br0adband

The one and only...

• 522 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:55

I don't think anything can beat google maps.... can it?

I guess the question would be: why bother in the first place?

I can't find anything in iOS 6 that's a compelling upgrade so far, not one thing but that's just me I suppose. The snafu with the Wi-Fi thing and every iDevice checking into Apple.com on a connection, I've got big issues with that personally, but it's just so glaringly obvious that Apple's attempt - and yes we all know this is v1.0 so it will improve as time goes by, that's a given - is pathetic and so lackluster by comparison, I don't even see any reason they bothered with the trouble.

But then again, they've got literal cash to burn, gotta spend it on something I suppose.

#10 bobbba

bobbba

Neowinian Senior

• 2,383 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:57

Fine for me. Coverage is just as good as google's apart from street view

#11 Bryer

Bryer

Neowinian

• 112 posts
  • Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Phone: Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:09

I said it once, I'll say it again, IOS6 turns all Apple handsets into 4 year old Android devices and the iPhone 5 is a top end Android device from about a year ago. (I'm talking features here people).

#12 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,096 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:20

I just found out that even after installing the youtube app I still can't watch embedded youtube videos on webpages like I could with the previous versions. I already regret installing this update

#13 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

• 1,154 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:25

Bahaha! Hopefully Google never releases a good map app for iOS..let iPhone users try a real phone first.

#14 +OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOO

Neowinian Senior

• 2,348 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:36

I'm not having any problems with it ... in fact, I think it's a lovely update :)

#15 witalit

witalit

Always looking ahead..

• 2,401 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:38

I haven't updated yet, not sure wether I should. Kinda tempted to cancel my iPhone 5 order as well.. it don't seem like its worth £600..