Apple

the amount of iPhone users that have told me they will be switching to Android is astounding.. this thing is going to hurt Apple big time.

Yes - me too... it's a whole none.

I won't be jumping ship over a map app but I do hope Google Maps is released soon. I don't have issues in my area but I look at where my friend lives in West Oakland and the flyover stuff is detailed and sharp. My area is a pancake grainy PoS.

denial never changed anything.

Hyperbole never helped anyone either.

If anyone feels they need to switch eco-system because they don't like an app, then quite frankly they deserve the expense and effort.

Hyperbole never helped anyone either.

If anyone feels they need to switch eco-system because they don't like an app, then quite frankly they deserve the expense and effort.

I agree that people are unlikely to switch ecosystems (if they've invested a lot in Apple's) just over this but it's worth noting that this isn't just any old app. Mapping is pretty fundamental to a smartphone and the iPhone will fall behind the competition even further if they can't provide a decent free solution.

I agree that people are unlikely to switch ecosystems (if they've invested a lot in Apple's) just over this but it's worth noting that this isn't just any old app. Mapping is pretty fundamental to a smartphone and the iPhone will fall behind the competition even further if they can't provide a decent free solution.

I don't disagree with that - but there are enough free alternatives to bide Apple enough time to get their house in order.

I see a lot of people describing it is as a fundamental feature, but I don't know anyone who actually uses maps on a regular basis - on any platform. Maybe this is just a UK trend though and people elsewhere use maps a lot more.

I don't disagree with that - but there are enough free alternatives to bide Apple enough time to get their house in order.

I see a lot of people describing it is as a fundamental feature, but I don't know anyone who actually uses maps on a regular basis - on any platform. Maybe this is just a UK trend though and people elsewhere use maps a lot more.

I live in the UK and think maps are a fundamental feature of a phone and one that I use fairly often. To me, maps on a phone are only slightly less important than having a browser and they're a feature that I expect will just come with the phone (i.e. I shouldn't have to search for and download an alternative).

I live in the UK and think maps are a fundamental feature of a phone and one that I use fairly often. To me, maps on a phone are only slightly less important than having a browser and they're a feature that I expect will just come with the phone (i.e. I shouldn't have to search for and download an alternative).

Last time I opened the maps app on my iPhone I was wondering around near Kings Cross in London in June trying to find a meeting facility my company used for a training course.

They are having big problems with the elevation data, that's why everything seems flat or even destroyed on some places. They should be able to fix this quickly and go on with adding much needed feature that were available with Google Maps.

Why even bother releasing such a half baked POS? I don't get it.

you could be too young to remember, but back when Google maps where released, it was the same unfinished product that has evolved into what it is now.

Part of Whitehall Lane (the Street that I live on) = Princeton Road, and that's even though I filed a Bug Report on it during the Beta, Beta's 2-4 No Action Taken, Entire Road was called Princeton Road for Beta's 1-4, GM Seed only Partial Name Changed, Part of the road was still Mispelled, also was too late to get the rest of it Fixed before Public Release. Very Annoying.

you could be too young to remember, but back when Google maps where released, it was the same unfinished product that has evolved into what it is now.

When V1 of Google Maps was released, it wasn't missing entire towns! It's map data has always been very accurate, it was just low on initial features.

nope... looked alot of different place.... which are these places you are saying are gone? I wish to look and see...

If you do a search for "doncaster" (a town near me in England) it comes up as "duncaster."

William Shakespeare's hometown has been renamed.

If you do a search for Luton (a major town with an airport) it brings up a tiny little seaside village near Blackpool.

There are reports of towns being miles away from where they should be too.

Tube and train stations missing in London.

It causes problems with other features too though. Someone posted a picture on that Tumblr site of the 'find my iPhone' app showing his device in a completely blank area of the map with no street names or anything.

How is that supposed to help? :p

The difference is Google Maps didn't replace an already well-established, excellent maps app.

I don't think anything can beat google maps.... can it?

I like Nokia Maps better, not because of better mapping quality, they are about the same, but for the fact that Nokia Maps allow offline searching.

I like Nokia Maps better, not because of better mapping quality, they are about the same, but for the fact that Nokia Maps allow offline searching.

That is an awesome feature.

A letter from Tim Cook on Map

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we?re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook

Apple?s CEO

http://www.apple.com...m-cook-on-maps

/