US state dept says it doesn

We can all relax ? the United States and Mexico are not plotting a takeover of Canada.

As reported by the New York Daily News, U.S. State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland was asked by a reporter on Wednesday why a signing ceremony with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Mexico Foreign Minister Patricia Espinosa was not open to the press.

Here's a transcript of the exchange:

Reporter: What is this signing ceremony?? What are they signing, and why isn't that open?

Ms. Nuland: I don't know the answer to that, Matt.? I think it's an update on Merida, but I will get that for you.

Reporter: Is ? I know that this is not some --

Ms. Nuland: I know you did ask us --

Reporter: Yes, exactly.? This isn't some secret thing --

Ms. Nuland: Yeah.? No, it's --

Reporter: -- to invade Canada or something like that? (Laughter)

MS. NULAND: No, no, no.? It's not anything classified.

Needless to say, the Americans are having fun with this.

At NBCnews.com, they blogged about how the U.S. did draw up a secret plan to invade Canada in 1935, codenamed "War Plan Red," and about a website that lists reasons why the U.S. should attack Canada.

"There is also a website called www.invadecanada.us, which lists reasons such as connecting the mainland U.S. with Alaska, 'they're just a little too proud,' and 'they stole our basketball teams,'" notes NBC.

And here's what some American readers of the story had to say about it:

- The Angry Guy

If I can get some assurance that:

1. It will stop them from saying "ewt and abewt"

2. It will stop them from putting gravy and cheese on french fries I'd be all for it. Ketchup on fries! Ketchup on fries!

- Joe B.-758292

The Canadians probably do have a secret plan to invade the U.S. I mean, they must be P.O.'d at the fact that a Canadian team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since 1993 :-)

- ckneeley

You forgot about the use of arcane language and phrases like please, excuse me, pardon me, may I, how are you, etc. An obvious attempt by Canadians to lull us into a false sense of security before they strike.

- robbopaloobop

the only reason to ever justify an invasion of Canada would be if our Strategic Toque Reserve were to run out

http://ca.news.yahoo...-213355781.html

We can all relax ? the United States and Mexico are not plotting a takeover of Canada.

Another White house leak....Only Half True at that.

Yeah, it's already America 2 with Harper running the show.

Ain't that the truth...

waiiiiiit a minnnnnute.......

so they are saying there is a plan and it's classified? read into it :rofl:

waiiiiiit a minnnnnute.......

so they are saying there is a plan and it's classified? read into it :rofl:

If they try to invade, we'll just show them good hospitaliity and fatten em up on Poutine, then maybe they'll forget they're invading.

If they try to invade, we'll just show them good hospitaliity and fatten em up on Poutine, then maybe they'll forget they're invading.

That's similar to what ancient China use to do. Minus the poutine, of course.