colorado inhales dangerous chemical king soopers

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 DDStriker

DDStriker

Neowinian Senior

• 1,969 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:28

everyone knows that any kind of popcorn has that.... that's why they call it popcorn lung... another reason I avoid it because I know about popcorn lung.... at the movies I just get the other snacks they have at the snack bar.... i have not eaten popcorn for 5 years....

He only got it from opening and inhaling the bag directly after had he opened it put it into a bowl or whatever he wouldn't have experienced this problem
so you should be fine at the movies (and truly that's really the only good thing about going to the movies these days :laugh:)

#17 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:29

I'm amazed he didn't get sick of it? (I mean eating it twice a day for ten years, not the physical effects)

Maybe he because addicted to it, that will be his next claim

#18 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• 1,776 posts
  • Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:30

everyone knows that any kind of popcorn has that.... that's why they call it popcorn lung... another reason I avoid it because I know about popcorn lung.... at the movies I just get the other snacks they have at the snack bar.... i have not eaten popcorn for 5 years....

I had no idea this existed until today. So no, not "everyone". Regardless, it doesn't deter from the fact that it blatantly states he didn't know either, until he was diagnosed. So no, not everyone knows which makes your "duh...why did he eat it" statement silly.

#19 DDStriker

DDStriker

Neowinian Senior

• 1,969 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:32

"Once you pop, you can't stop"

I thought ignorance was no excuse ?, not checking the ingredients of something you consume in large amounts is ignorance, and if that is the case, anyone with liver problems due to excessive drinking could sue and claim they didn't know either.

I've never heard or seen this brand before but what I'm gathering form the article is that they do not in fact mention this ingredient being used can anyone confirm if that's the case or not?

Wayne Watson claims King Soopers supermarket should have made it clear on their packaging that the butter flavouring of their popcorn contains the compound diacetyl, which in large quantities can be hazardous to a person's health.

That implies that they don't inform customers that it "contains diacetyl and that it's dangerous in large quantities" but doesn't specify whether it has diacetly on the list anyway
on that note even if it does I guess you can't expect people to know it's a dangerous substance without prior research?

#20 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,392 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:34

I had no idea this existed until today. So no, not "everyone". Regardless, it doesn't deter from the fact that it blatantly states he didn't know either, until he was diagnosed. So no, not everyone knows which makes your "duh...why did he eat it" statement silly.

As a kid I was always taught that excessive amounts of anything is bad for you, it's common sense really.

Edit: omission of the fact that it contained diacetyl and that it's dangerous in large quantities, is a poor show on the popcorn makers part though.

#21 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

• 1,776 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:36

As a kid I was always taught that excessive amounts of anything is bad for you, it's common sense really.

Absolutely. However, the key here is he was unknowingly inhaling something toxic. There is a difference between that and eating too many Oreo cookies ;)

#22 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,392 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:36

Absolutely. However, the key here is he was unknowingly inhaling something toxic. There is a difference between that and eating too many Oreo cookies ;)

Yeah just edited my post after you replied :)

#23 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:41

Surely if there is a name for the disease, then it is well known that popcorn causes it, and would have been listed as an ingredient ?

#24 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

• 1,776 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:44

Surely if there is a name for the disease, then it is well known that popcorn causes it, and would have been listed as an ingredient ?

One would think. Don't think he would have won his case had that been true.

#25 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,527 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:09

popcorn lung was even a bit of a media circus, as several news outlets reported on it a good bit. even hicks out in the sticks know about it.

#26 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

• 1,776 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:21

popcorn lung was even a bit of a media circus, as several news outlets reported on it a good bit. even hicks out in the sticks know about it.

Well clearly not everyone knows about it.

#27 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,527 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:25

Well clearly not everyone knows about it.

They should!

#28 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,575 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 14:08

Not 'everyone'-- I didn't know until I read this post.

My work is done. :happy:

#29 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

• 1,776 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:22

They should!

I'm sure there's an entire book full of things you don't know about that you "should" know about. Stop being so arrogant.

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:35

My work is done. :happy:

You did good, Hum. :)