40% of news posts are cell phone related

Is it just me or is there no other tech news out there anymore?... over 40% (went back a while and just counted to get that number on this site) of the news posts on here at least are cell phone related, please don't tell me there is no other computer / tech news out there? Not really complaining, but there is only so much cell phone coverage a person can take! Can we get some more non-cell phone tech stories to balance this out a little more? I just have a feeling its going to turn into every other story is about cell phones soon

• Like 3

It seems to me that most things are becoming more mobile-related nowadays (e.g. Facebook see it as one of the most important parts of their business to expand and grow, and they believe more people will end up accessing Facebook from mobile phones, sometime in the near future). Not only that, but September has been the month in which many phone manufacturers have been announcing their latest products, and the month in which Microsoft and Apple have talked more about their next mobile operating systems/products. October might be similar, due to Microsoft revealing the consumer features of Windows Phone 8 and more manufacturers announcing their new handsets. Perhaps you'll see less mobile news after September and October?

that would leave about 50% of the posts which seems to be religion/politics related. they would be okay except they almost inevitably result into a bashing match. i would start by filtering that out first.

sorry, went off on a wrong tangent here. we are talking about news posts not forum posts. my bad.

I would like to see more hardware news also, motherboard, cpu's, ram, HDD's, cases, networking equipment... etc.

moar routers!!!!

It seems to me that most things are becoming more mobile-related nowadays (e.g. Facebook see it as one of the most important parts of their business to expand and grow, and they believe more people will end up accessing Facebook from mobile phones, sometime in the near future). Not only that, but September has been the month in which many phone manufacturers have been announcing their latest products, and the month in which Microsoft and Apple have talked more about their next mobile operating systems/products. October might be similar, due to Microsoft revealing the consumer features of Windows Phone 8 and more manufacturers announcing their new handsets. Perhaps you'll see less mobile news after September and October?

Well I've been watching this for a few months now, just didn't say anything... I dont consider facebook to be "cell phone" related... just a website, but it seems that all I read anymore is Nokia stories, Samsung lawsuits, and iPhone stories.. none of which I am interested in... wish we had more hardware reviews that are non-cell related... I mean we are a tech site, not a just a mobile site

Ok, I'll play. Someone give me something to write about and I'll go and write an article for submission. If we all do this, some of the articles may be accepted and that will balance out the genres. Problem solved.

Ok, I'll play. Someone give me something to write about and I'll go and write an article for submission. If we all do this, some of the articles may be accepted and that will balance out the genres. Problem solved.

or we could end up with 50 people writing reviews of the iPhone 5 :p

The mobile industry is busy right now, so there is a lot of news in that area.

There's also lots of news outside the mobile industry, we just don't seem to cover it much anymore.. that or its just not "cool" stuff... like who cares if blu-ray can hold 200GB now with 6+ layers, still a tech story... some of us would like to read stuff like that :)

Sometimes I just feel like i'm reading a tabloid with lots of news stories posted that we know will generate a lot of heat.. news stories that make large discussions that spawn off into flame wars about Apple or something...

btw, before someone says Why don't you submit then? Honestly, I do when I actually have time to... I've submitted a few stories in the past that I thought where interesting.. and still try to when I actually have time

I've been quite vocal about my views on this kind of thing in the past: If you want to see a difference, be part of that difference rather than moaning about the current state of affairs (Note: I am not saying that this thread is a moan, I am referring to past threads in the Sites and Forum Issues section).

If someone wants to see something different, I'm happy to try and put pen to paper and write something for submission. The only thing I ask is that someone tell me what they want to see. I work during the week so don't have time to browse all the corners of the net, and it also means that I rarely see the NeoGamr site because that is blocked. But if someone wants an article (something to set up a discussion, a review, a collection of opinions) then let me know and I'll give it a go. The only thing that I would probably avoid is some sort of hardware review unless I already own the item.

Maybe if we all follow this idea we can help create a change for the better.

I've been quite vocal about my views on this kind of thing in the past: If you want to see a difference, be part of that difference rather than moaning about the current state of affairs (Note: I am not saying that this thread is a moan, I am referring to past threads in the Sites and Forum Issues section).

If someone wants to see something different, I'm happy to try and put pen to paper and write something for submission. The only thing I ask is that someone tell me what they want to see. I work during the week so don't have time to browse all the corners of the net, and it also means that I rarely see the NeoGamr site because that is blocked. But if someone wants an article (something to set up a discussion, a review, a collection of opinions) then let me know and I'll give it a go. The only thing that I would probably avoid is some sort of hardware review unless I already own the item.

Maybe if we all follow this idea we can help create a change for the better.

Like I said right above you, when I have time I do try to submit :)

The main problem though is hardware reviews would be great, but like you said... someone has to own them first...

Generally speaking our coverage of mobile devices is more well read than PC components, but we will keep this in mind for the future.

PC component hardware reviews is difficult because to review components properly, eg CPUs, we would need a decent test bed which no staff writer really has at the moment. Also, we would need to build relationships with Intel/AMD/NVIDIA/etc. which we don't really have, as well as access to previous benchmarks and all that. And we assume you don't want sloppy half-assed reviews.

Is it just me or is there no other tech news out there anymore?... over 40% (went back a while and just counted to get that number on this site) of the news posts on here at least are cell phone related, please don't tell me there is no other computer / tech news out there? Can we get some more non-cell phone tech stories to balance this out a little more?

:laugh: Hey, I did my part:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1106977-lcd-maker-hit-with-500-million-antitrust-fine/

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1106927-new-military-binoculars-use-brainwaves-to-spot-threats/

Cell phones are technology. Right now the market is rather stale when it comes to new tech so to keep the site busy it would make since to use cell phones.

However, it would be nice if the market would pick back up for CPU technology changes and whatnot.