Help Creating a Patch

Question

Hi! I found some info in this forum about patching a program but not a complete guide.. Lets say i have 1.exe .This exe contains some textboxes.. i want to create a second exe (2.exe) which will be able to patch all or one value of textbox in the 1.exe.

As i said i found in this forum info about creating the 2.exe BUT in an exe which was build with microsoft studio 2010(vb.net or c# etc..) i cannot find strings using w32dasm.. My plan was to open w32dasm and find the address of the string that i want to replace and then patch the address with 2.exe...

So HOW to find the address of a string/textbox.text(value) of an exe?

i can find the strings of an exe which was build by vb6 but not from an exe which was build by vb.net 2010..

Please help me..

Thanks!

guys..winhex will do the work..it says where a string is and the offset and the byte..now im ready to patch my exe :) allright so im just saying it to you so you can see how to do it if you want to do it in the future.. :)

I think what articuno1au is trying to say is that you should compile two versions of the executable, one with the strings as NULL and one with them set to something else, and use a utility like diff (in binary mode) to compare the two to determine the offsets.

thanks for your suggestions..winhex shows where the string is..offset address and byte..now i can patch the exe :) i was looking for a program like this because w32dasm couldnt do the work(show the string..) :) now i have the offest and the byte(s) and i can easily patch them :) thanks everyone!!!

example:

1.exe has a messagebox which says "hello world"

2.exe has a textbox and i write there "hi space" and then i click PATCH 1.exe!

now everytime you run 1.exe it will say Hi space and NOT hello world..thats what i wanted to do and now i am able to do it..

:) THANKS everyone for your time!!!!