Unable to restore my iPhone 3GS & also have no carrier signal after dow

Basically i'm looking to change carrier & found my iPhone was locked to o2. I found that my "Modem Firmware" is 05.16.05 which according to what i've read means that i can't unlock my iPhone & i would need to downgrade the baseband.

I followed the instructions to downgrade the baseband as listed on iClarified. It didn't seem to work - the "Modem Firmware" number remained 05.16.05. It was late so i went to bed.

I start the day today & go to work & i notice that i don't get an o2 signal at all - even when others i work with do. I've clearly done something bad to my phone.

So tonight i figure i'll just upgrade to 5.1.1 (as i am on 5.0.1). I don't want to upgrade to 6.

So again i download the 5.1.1 restore file from iClarified & follow their instructions to jailbreak the phone for 5.1.1.

I select my iPhone in iTunes & then hit shift while clicking on restore. I select the file 5.1.1 & this is where the problem lays ...... it wont let me restore with this file.

At the top of iTunes, it goes through the process & says it's going to verify to restore & then i get the error:

The iPhone "name" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).

And that is as far as i get.

Anyone able to help with this as i don't want to try updating to 6.0.

Thanks for the reply

I've never used TinyUmbrella in my life though. I followed the instructions all the same, but when it says untick the box - my box wasn't even ticked, in fact it wasn't even available for ticking as it was greyed out.

Problem remains :(

From reading i see i should try putting it in DFU mode & then try to restore.

Problem is, every time i try this, it puts it in recovery mode, which i read is different to DFU mode. Tried about 10 times now & hit recovery mode (not DFU mode) every time.

Upgrading/Downgrading to 5.1.1 is now NO LONGER SUPPORTED by Apple now that Apple IOS 6.0 has been released and ITUNES will now AUTOMATICLY BLOCK any IOS INSTALLATION other than IOS 6.0!

P.S. if you are successful at installing Apple IOS 5.1.1: You will AUTOMATICLY VOID your Apple Care+ Extended Warrenty and your Asurion Wireless Insurance/TEC by NOT installing the Latest IOS software available for your Device.

Further P.S. I installed IOS 6 on my Mom's Verizon Wireless Apple IPhone 4 8GB Device and so far she has NOT had anything to complain about with it just yet, as she uses the Verizon Wireless Maps Program in order to get turn by turn directions, considering the fact that turn by turn directions is NOT supported on the IPhone 4 using Apple Maps Programs. Just FYI.

Well i don't want the new maps tbh. Plus i want to have an untethered jailbreak of my iPhone, although i would forefeit this for 5.0.1 or 5.1.1 & no jailbreak. I just don't want 6.0 at all. No offence, but i don't care how many people are quite happy with 6.0, i just don't want it. I'm also not worried about voiding any extended warranty.

I just want to know how to get 5.0.1 again, or 5.1.1 on my iPhone. I now receive no carrier signal, so i as a bare minimum want to fix that.

First of all, you would have to find the IOS 5.1.1 .IPSW file (which has already been Removed from ITunes Servers due to the Release of Apple IOS 6.0). Next, you would have to find some way of Bypassing the Apple IOS Security Check, which is designed to block any IOS Installation that is NOT the most recent IOS. Sorry but I do not know how to do that as I am an Apple Developer who always keeps my devices up to date in order to file relevant Bug Reports with Apple. BTW if you pay $99 to Apple to join the Apple Developer Program, you will get access to all of the Apple IOS Beta's that get released to that program (and yes we did have access to the IOS 6.0 Beta's 1-4 and early access to the Gold Master Seed, and we also get the ability to file Bug Reports regarding the Beta Seeds/Gold Master Seed as well. Just FYI.

I don't see why paying Apple a further $99 when i've paid enough ? already would help my situation.

I have both the 5.1.1. .IPSW & the 5.0.1 .IPSW.

I've been provided with a link elsewhere which claims to be able to rectify this problem, but the issue remains the DFU - i can't seem to enter it. Every time i try, it enters recovery mode instead.

In order to enter DFU Mode you have to hold both the Power and Home Buttions until the Device Shuts Off then Release the Power Button but Keep Holding the Home Button with the Device Plugged into the Computer/Mac. If it successfully enters DFU Mode it will still say Recovery Mode in ITunes but The Display on the IOS Device will be completely Blank. Hope this helps.

IT seems i was able to enter DFU mode all along.

iTunes said i was in recovery mode, yet the phone was blank/black like the DFU description states. I even timed the 10 seconds with a watch.

Still, i can't restore to 5.0.1 at all. I believe i need my SHSH blobs saved - well they are. Open Cydia & it lists them, including what i believe is the next one 'up' as well (5.1.1.). I have them saved in a file created by redsn0w too, but it all seems pointless as it STILL doesn't work.

P.S. I too have used DFU Mode before, only difference is that I used it to Remove a Beta IOS Release from my Apple IOS Device before taking it in for Service, and/or trading in an IPhone.

You are forgetting that that Apple IOS 5.1 was in between 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 by the way! :-)

By The Way, I know that you are NOT interested in IOS 6 just yet but I just wanted to let you know that a Jail Break is already Available for the Apple IPhone 5 (according to Neowin's Home Page), which means that there should also be a Jail Break for IOS 6.0 since the IPhone 5 is only available with IOS 6.0. Your choice however.

Is this an untethered jailbreak though?

Also, looking into the SHSH blobs via Cydia, 5.1 isn't listed on mine. It lists some before 5.0.1, it lists 5.0.1 which i'm currently on & it lists 5.1.1.

Things aren't looking good for me avoiding 6.0. Plus an official unlock costs ?15 AND you have to wait 10 business days for it. I was wanting to try out a different carrier SIM so that i could [potentially] sign up to another carrier & replace my 3GS in the coming days. I wasn't wanting to wait 2 weeks!