Dark Display with Acer Aspire

I've been having a problem with an with Acer Aspire 5315 laptop where the display dimly shows the beginning boot screen and then goes black. I had just ordered a new adapter with the exact volt / amp. for the laptop and screen specified for the laptop in which it does the same thing...I also checked the adapter with a multimeter after it came in. I also don't get any external display at all. I was told that if I take the mem out and try booting and if I hear beeps it means bad motherboard so I tried that and it didn't beep at all. I've also tried swapping out the DDR2 SO-DIMM cheaper and putting another used DDR2 SO-DIMM chip. Before it was actually displaying Windows XP and everything...and all it does now is just show that there's power with a green light and with the CPU fan turning and a light for the battery. Should I now get another inverter?....I've already poured some money in this and would like to see it work but I'm wondering why it doesn't show a display on an external CRT monitor as well when I hook it up to it...when before it did for a little bit....

Thanks in advanced for any helpful answer to this problem.

smc

My best bet would be the inverter going.

If you're not getting a display on an external monitor it's likely the GPU failing

It could by the time he has plugged in the CRT he is on the logon screen which doesn't work with a 2nd monitor?

My best bet would be the inverter going.

It could by the time he has plugged in the CRT he is on the logon screen which doesn't work with a 2nd monitor?

True, it does sound like a backlight / inverter problem but 2nd display should show POST if its plugged in on boot

Are you pressing the display switch hotkey on your laptop once you've hooked up an external display? It's not always automatic.

I've been pressing all kinds of keys...one of them a function key that looks like it has pic of a display...I've been pressing it with the function key, the Cntrl key, the Alt key and by it self...and having the ext CRT monitor plugged in from the beginning...so if it's a GPU what kind of cost are we talking about...?