Photo
poll

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you care about play counts/watched flags?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which media manager/player do you use, and does it support play counts?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you care about them?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If you care about play counts/watch flags, what media do you want or need it for?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:18

I'm obsessed with my play counts, as it lets me create better smart play lists, see which movie I still need to watch (sometimes you're not sure) and generally is awesome for the statistic nazi in me! :laugh:

I'm addicted and obsessed, what about you?

Glassed Silver:mac

#2 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,180 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:23

Media Jukebox and hell yeah I do!!!

I got a new HDD and I redid my file structure and this install is less then 2 months old so I can't flaunt much at the moment....

however the song with the most plays that i can remember ever is Face 2 Face-Future Trance United (All 4 remixes) That is my theme song!! I love it!!

#3 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• 2,422 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M7 - Blue

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:26

I really don't care about the play count in general on my end, but then again, what music I do listen to on my computer, usually takes a back seat to internet radio which I prefer over the played music.

#4 OP Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

• 10,729 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:30

Updated poll with another question. :)

Feel free to delete your votes and submit them again to answer that last question too if you wish. (Y)

#5 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,022 posts
  • Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:33

I used to be but then I kept losing them with my new computers and reinstalls, so I stopped caring.

#6 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,200 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:40

I don't care, but this playlist thing is a good idea.

#7 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,195 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:50

nope dont bother to look at them ever, and generally dont make playlists either.

#8 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• 5,689 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:19

Nope. Being a poor schmuck I listen to my favorites at most given moments over and over until it starts to annoy me and I don't want to hear it anymore. Sometimes I listen to some fragment over and over in another program (editor) or manually skipping. WMP keeps counting as it does but the number is inflated, even wrong and definitely useless.

I don't generally have background music on these days, it tends to distract me - my HyperThreading's been really unrealiable since the latest BIOS update somewhere after my 18th or so :/

#9 OP Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

• 10,729 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:21

Nope. Being a poor schmuck I listen to my favorites at most given moments over and over until it starts to annoy me and I don't want to hear it anymore. Sometimes I listen to some fragment over and over in another program (editor) or manually skipping. WMP keeps counting as it does but the number is inflated, even wrong and definitely useless.

I don't generally have background music on these days, it tends to distract me - my HyperThreading's been really unrealiable since the latest BIOS update somewhere after my 18th or so :/

WMP counts skipped tracks as played?

#10 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,568 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:34

I'd like it, actually, but I mostly play my iPod in the car which has the Microsoft Sync system in it--it's playing the songs from the iPod but it doesn't record the play counts, so the only ones I get are when it's disconnected or the play counts at home when I play music on the PC. So, basically, not accurate at all. I have manually created a few playlists, but I don't use the smartlist feature.

#11 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• 5,689 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:40

WMP counts skipped tracks as played?

Yes. In a way that a song has to reach the end naturally, even from the very last second - then up the counter goes.

Edit: Phouchg:StrangeOS

#12 OP Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

• 10,729 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:42

Yes. In a way that a song has to reach the end naturally, even from the very last second - then up the counter goes.

Edit: Phouchg:StrangeOS

Wait... so how does this actually trigger the play count when you skip them lol, the integral part of skipping is that you don't reach the end. :laugh:

#13 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• 5,689 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:00

Wait... so how does this actually trigger the play count when you skip them lol, the integral part of skipping is that you don't reach the end. :laugh:

I may have used the term "skipping" incorrectly here. What I wanted it to mean was skipping to a certain point, for example, the final chorus of a track (happens a lot with soundtracks), not skipping it altogether. Because I'm too lazy to open up an editor and loop it. And then crop it and save it. It does reach the end usually and the play count goes up... I mean, the usual fade out at the end is a giveaway that I have to Ctrl-Alt-B or F a little.

On the other hand, I'm, for example, oftimes very moved by the first two minutes of Primavera but not the orchestra (does not fit the mood). Now, I've listened to it for an hour at a time, but the play count doesn't go up, because I've got five more minutes to rewind it and I usually manage.

WMP is not as dumb as people make it, it's just me being OCD and otherwise amusing in a what-a-hell-is-wrong-with-you kind of way :)
In any case, play count and me are not compatible - how would one count a partial play? A half-play? 10%? Or is it still full 1 play, because without having the whole thing I wouldn't be able to enjoy any part of it either?

#14 OP Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

• 10,729 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 23:45

Well, if you listened to it twice 50%, give it one count up lol
It's easy, set loop mode on single track and click in the very end of the time slider repeatedly till your count is correct from your playing session :p

To me, I skip tracks in that way, too, but really, to me those few lost counts are not THAT important.

Sure, play counts don't work 100% correctly in that way, but still very fine and are still excellent in finding your personal charts, determining automatic synchs, etc...

Also they aid the statistic Nazi in me as I said before :D

Now, with other media for example, this is less of a problem: movies and tv shows you normally watch in full and if not, their playback position is saved for your convenience to pick up later or at least see that you only partially played it. (Y)

I like your OCD way of doing things, reminds me a lot of me lol :laugh:

#15 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 24,054 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:01

I'm using the Zune player on my PC. And do not give a damn about play counts.