Photo

Where will smartphones be in five years time?

smartphones

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:03

The iphone has been for about 5 years now.
back in 2007 it was pretty cool, the first proper touch screen phone with proper apps. yes yes i know there were touch screen phones prior, but not like this.

Its 2012 and everything is has a touch screen, 4g is coming the new standard, nfc is still a baby.

So what are you expecting your phone will do in 2017?

i expect windows mobile do be doing pretty well, android as well. RIM should be gone by then , apple should be somwhere in the middle or in third place is the next model isnt a major upgrade.

#2 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:31

HTC YZX, Galaxy S VII and iPhone 9, all suffering from chronic sequelitis, will have 16-core processors, 8 GB RAM, 4K screens, but somehow still unable to match any decent full desktop OS equipment unless Haswell from Intel and 14XM from Globalfoundries indeed succeed in making x86 efficient on the go.

#3 Sebastian Swann

Sebastian Swann

Neowinian

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:37

I think Jelly Bean will have around 10% of Android devices till then.

#4 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:58

The iPhone 9 will have 7 rows of icons and satellite imagery with skeuomorphic clouds blocking your view. Millions will buy it for this feature.
Android will have a wireless interface with Google Glasses, which sends Google Government a copy of everything you see in real time.
Nokia will be the only remaining Windows Phone manufacturer with the Lumia 999.

#5 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 September 2012 - 19:02

I think Jelly Bean will have around 10% of Android devices till then.

while Google will be making their 5th new "tasty treat" by then :)

Aside from joking, you will see it in glasses i feel. the Google/Apple/Samsung/Microsoft glasses battle is about to begin in the next 2 years... (even though Microsoft typically makes software, i think they will go forward in manufacturing these just like the surface)

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 September 2012 - 19:03

I think we've hit a plateau in phones and will see very little difference 5 years from now.

#7 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 September 2012 - 19:06

Nano technology, a microchip inserted in your skin behind your ear, all commands from voice with a hud display connected wireless by the users glasses.

Nah, in 5 years can't see much progress to be honest.

#8 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 September 2012 - 19:24

I think we've hit a plateau in phones and will see very little difference 5 years from now.

I'd have to agree. I see the iPhone becoming less relevant.

#9 UKDarkJedi

UKDarkJedi

Neowinian

Posted 23 September 2012 - 19:30

I agree about the plateau, I can't even really see how the next gen can improve, let alone in two or three gens time. I think we're a VERY long way off embedded devices (under skin, etc), looking at way over 10 years unless something radical happens with battery technology soon.

I can see glasses tech in maybe 5 years, but again, power is the problem here. There's no issues with having a proper phone like we have today sending extra information to an external device as these already exist in many forms.

I think though we will see a divergence in what phones become used for. We've already seen them used less for standard phone operations (calling & texting) and more for social communication, tweeting, book of the face, youtube, etc etc and this will be less reliant on the tech and more on the software to link everything together in some way not realised yet.

#10 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 23 September 2012 - 22:29

The morons that updates their phones every ****ing 6 months (as if there was some CRITICAL reason to waste their money on 1.1 or 2.0 or 5.0 mobile toys) will be bankrupt, hopefully, so I will be back to my computer business without being forced to read/think/write huge amounts of smoking poop about the mobile crap every damn day of my life....

#11 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 September 2012 - 22:45

Similar hardware but better software.

Cloud services will be a lot more popular, hardly anything will be stored on the device.

#12 Eddie7

Eddie7

Hallo... www.connectw.me

• Phone: 1-800-CALL-ME-MAYBE

Posted 23 September 2012 - 22:52

Posted Image

or maybe even this

Posted Image

#13 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 23 September 2012 - 22:55

"Where will smartphones be in five years time?"

#14 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 23 September 2012 - 23:04

i expect windows mobile do be doing pretty well

You expect Windows Mobile to do "pretty well by 2017"? I think you just pushed wishful thinking and clinging on to the past to a whole new level.

#15 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 September 2012 - 23:10

To be honest, I think this is where Windows 8 has the right idea. 5 years from now I'd like to be able to plug my phone into a dock and have it be a pretty useable computer. This would be huge for the business world.