web installers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:06

The user gets no benefit at all from web-based installers: they are all for the company releasing the crappy-made software. It's as simple as that.

#17 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:36

The user gets no benefit at all from web-based installers: they are all for the company releasing the crappy-made software. It's as simple as that.

Speak for yourself..

I'm on a slow connetion, and not having to download more dependencies, and not having to worry about my connection crapping out part way in, are amazing..

#18 Cheryl_27

Cheryl_27

Neowinian

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:47

some of what was mentioned may be true. I think there's another reason. They get to learn more about your computer. I don't like them because they tend to mess up installation more than full downloads do, for me.

I don't think there's any "savings" for them - one way or the other, the same data has to get d/l to you computer. If I had to guess, I'd say it has more to do w/ ads & gaining data (of any kind).

#19 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:15

1. So the user always installs the latest version
2. So the company can collect information during the install

I like online installers because I'm terrible at managing files and I don't want to keep a bunch of installers on my computer, that I'm probably going to forget to backup whenever I format anyway.

#20 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:30

1. So the user always installs the latest version
2. So the company can collect information during the install

I like online installers because I'm terrible at managing files and I don't want to keep a bunch of installers on my computer, that I'm probably going to forget to backup whenever I format anyway.

There is at least 1 problem with your analagy: The customer may not have internet or has a fresh os install, which should be updated while offline to prevent infection. When i set new systems up, i get the updates beforehand and update. With web installers, i must risk possible infection.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!