The first official picture of Hugh Jackman in The Wolverine

Jean Grey Will Appear In THE WOLVERINE

The Phoenix is rising again.

With the James Mangold directed The Wolverine now in production and speculation already beginning to circulate around whether Famke Janssen will appear as Jean Grey in the upcoming sequel to X-Men: First Class, We Got This Covered is reporting that Jean, indeed, is back. Though not where you might think.

According to their sources Janssen flew into Sydney last week to shoot a cameo as Jean Grey for The Wolverine, so yes, the character is back. How she will factor in with this film and possible future appearances is not yet clear.

Speaking to Empire, director James Mangold revealed that The Wolverine is a sequel to all of the ?X-Men movies:

?Where this film sits in the universe of the films is after them all,? reveals Mangold. ?Jean Grey is gone, most of the X-Men are disbanded or gone, so there?s a tremendous sense of isolation for him.?

It?s a surprising revelation since A) We had seen set photos that took place in a Japanese POW camp, and B) the comic the film is based on Chris Claremont and Frank Miller?s Wolverine, which takes place before the eponymous mutant joined the X-Men. However, Mangold believes it?s important that the new movie exists beyond the current movie continuity:

?That?s something that for me was very important, that I land in a very specific place in his timeline,? says Mangold. ?I wanted to be able to tell the story without the burden of handing it off to a film that already exists and having to conform to it. The ideas of immortality reign very heavily in this story and the burden of immortality weighs heavily on Logan. For me that?s such an interesting part of Logan?s character that is nearly impossible to explore if you have a kind of league or team movie.?

It can be a sequel to the others and still have parts from his past that we've seen. You know, i believe they're called flashback sequences. :p

I'm looking forward to this just like I was The Avengers....long time wolverine fan! (Used to have several dozen comic books when I was a kid)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new official synopsis for Hugh Jackman and 3:10 To Yuma director James Mangold's Wolverine movie:

Based on the celebrated comic book arc, this epic action-adventure takes Wolverine, the most iconic character of the X-Men universe, to modern day Japan. Out of his depth in an unknown world he faces his ultimate nemesis in a life-or-death battle that will leave him forever changed. Vulnerable for the first time and pushed to his physical and emotional limits, he confronts not only lethal samurai steel, but also his inner struggle against his own immortality, emerging more powerful than we have ever seen him before.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did Hugh Jackman Confirm Famke Janssen's Cameo In THE WOLVERINE?

PARADE: Give us a little scoop on the film.

You want to get me into trouble, don?t you? [laughs] Okay, the movie takes place after X-Men: The Last Stand. My character is at his lowest. He is supposed to be able to heal himself, but he may encounter someone who has worked out a way to really hurt him. And there is a cameo from one of the past X-Men in it.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=71694

• 3 weeks later...
"It?s set after 'X-Men 3', but I wouldn?t call it a sequel to 'X-Men 3'," says Mangold. "...Because of some of the themes in the Claremont/Miller saga. I felt it was really important to find Logan at a moment where he was stripped clean of his duties to the X-Men, his other allegiances, and even stripped clean of his own sense of purpose. I was fascinated with the idea of portraying Logan as a ronin ? the definition of which is a samurai without a master, without a purpose. Kind of a soldier who is cut loose. War is over. What does he do? What does he face? What does he believe anymore? Who are his friends? What is his reason for being here anymore? I think those questions are especially interesting when you?re dealing with a character who is essentially immortal."

Mangold goes on to explain that, while story beats are borrowed from Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's Japan-set miniseries (specifically noting that Yukio, Viper, Mariko and Shingen will all appear), the overall project is something all its own that he likens to The Outlaw Josey Wales.

"What I wrote on the back of the script when I first read it was 'Everyone I love will die,'" Mangold continues. "The story I?ve been telling, he enters it believing that. Therefore he?s living in a kind of isolation. He gets drawn to Japan by an old friendship and then finds himself in a labyrinth of deceit, caught up in the agendas of mobsters, of wealth, and other powers we come to understand... You find Logan and his love is gone, his mentors are gone, many of his friends are gone, his own sense of purpose ? what am I doing, why do I bother ? and his exhaustion is high. He has lived a long time, and he?s tired. He?s tired of the pain."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98638

The image that shows Wolverine's bone claws must be a flashback. We know how and when his bones (and claws) were bonded with adamantium. And it was before the first X-Men movie. This movie takes place after the events of the third X-Men movie.

As for the cameo appearance, I'd be very surprised if it's Jean Grey.