Photo

Can I Add a Hard Drive To The Xbox 360 4GB Model?

xbox hard drive

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:26

No actually the reason is GREED. Just look at how much MS charges for a Scandisk compatible USB drive after putting thier name all over it. Complete greed.

Scandisk compatible?

LOL. That was a good laugh...

What are you even talking about?

#62 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:36

Shane Nokes, you are one loyal fanboy.

To the OP: yes you can add a Microsoft branded HD. You can hack it yourself but with all the effort involved, you're sometimes just better off getting a legit one.

#63 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:40

Shane Nokes, you are one loyal fanboy.

Yup so much so that I also have a PS3 and grew up playing Atari, Sega, Colecovision, and Nintendo.

Next please?

I mean the 'scandisk compatible' dude and now this guy.

/Facepalm

#64 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:46

A friend of mine had an old 360 and took apart the hard drive casing from it (the big thing that clips on the top), and stuck the hard drive from that into the side slot on his new 360 and worked right away.
I went out and bought an official 320 GB drive for mine.

#65 Master of Earth

Master of Earth

Neowinian

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:14

crap, using non-microsoft xbox 360 HD won't get banned!

#66 joep1984

joep1984

Neowinian

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:22

crap, using non-microsoft xbox 360 HD won't get banned!

No but it introduces compatibility issues as well.

For example, I couldn't play a few Live Arcade games that I had downloaded to my WD HDD-whatever'd drive. It just said there was some error. I pinpointed it down to it being non-MS.

#67 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:41

A friend of mine had an old 360 and took apart the hard drive casing from it (the big thing that clips on the top), and stuck the hard drive from that into the side slot on his new 360 and worked right away.
I went out and bought an official 320 GB drive for mine.

XBox 360 HDs are just normal HD (crappy HDs in fact i would not put one of those in my PC as a main drive even if you would give me one free). Once you reformat them with NTFS it's gonna work with a PC as any drive would do. In fact the 250GB HD of my old broken XBox is in my Vantec Nextstar enclosure right now and is used as an external HD for my PC.

If you are curious the drive real capacity is 232GB. And since it's painfully slow i guess it's a 5400 rpm drive but i would need to open the enclosure to verify that.

As long as the drive is formated for the XBox 360 and has all the crap they might put on it for security *cough* piracy *cough* it's gonna work i'm almost sure of it.

#68 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:55

Yeah. Western Digital drives aren't known for their reliability at all.

:shiftyninja:

#69 Draken

Draken

Neowinian Un-Wise One

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 11 December 2012 - 16:53

Yup so much so that I also have a PS3 and grew up playing Atari, Sega, Colecovision, and Nintendo.

Next please?

I mean the 'scandisk compatible' dude and now this guy.

/Facepalm

I've been using a 320GB WD scorpio for more than a year with no issues (Xbox Live, DLC, Game Install, GOD Games etc) on my fat 360; you don't have the slightest idea how much I've saved (prices on Argentina are more than absurd), you can say everything you want, mock that guy for misspelling Sandisk etc etc but at the end ... facepalm on you :D

#70 InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:04

I've been using a 320GB WD scorpio for more than a year with no issues (Xbox Live, DLC, Game Install, GOD Games etc) on my fat 360; you don't have the slightest idea how much I've saved (prices on Argentina are more than absurd), you can say everything you want, mock that guy for misspelling Sandisk etc etc but at the end ... facepalm on you :D

Its been just over 3 years since i hacked a 250gb drive, it's served me perfectly since the day i did :)
At the time an 120gb official Xbox 360 hard drive was £90, it cost me a total of £30 to hack a 250gb drive. I love to tinker with stuff, so if i can save £60 doing so even better! That's £60 i probably spent on arcade games since then anyway!

In regards to hard drive reliability its all personal preference, i used to only ever purchase Seagate however Western Digital appear to be a lot more reliable these days from personal experiences.

#71 ClubNinja

ClubNinja

"Make Rock Not War"

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:55

If I buy something I will do what ever I want to it.