Photo

Do any of the laptop manufacturers come close to Apple?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:38

Hi,

It's my mums 50th birthday soon, and my nan is looking to get her a laptop. I'm a firm believer that for your average user, the actual technical specs don't mean anything (with the exception of maybe an SSD drive) and pretty much any laptop on the market right now will do what she needs it to.

So that brings us to the actual build quality - IMO the most important part of buying a laptop by far is that it feels nice. That it isn't too heavy, that it doesn't feel bulky on your lap, that it doesn't get ridiculously hot, that it has a nice trackpad (not those tiny ones with two buttons at the bottom), a nice keyboard, and a nice screen.

Now here's the problem - can I get something like that for around £500? Disregarding the spec for a moment, is there anything out there that feels nice to use for that kind of money? My nan would probably go higher if needed (maybe even to MBP/MBA levels) but I think that'd be unfair to get her to spend that much on something.

#2 mr_sock_00

mr_sock_00

Neowinian

• Phone: LG L7

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:47

Do any of the laptop manufacturers come close to Apple?

You are kidding right?

#3 SlimShady

SlimShady

Neowinian

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:51

lol

#4 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:53

Oh, where to start... Yes?

#5 CronicHazel

CronicHazel

Neowinian

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:55

Lenovo and Asus just to name a few...

Oh btw, you should look into Vizio's new line of laptops, that stuff looks slick lol

#6 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:58

Well before this turns into a flame war, I'm assuming by "close to Apple" you are referring to a nice aluminum or metal chassis, correct? If so, you probably won't find one in that price range. I think some of the Ultrabooks out there have aluminum enclosures, but again, out of that price range.

Take a look at the Lenovo line. They make arguably the best built PCs on the market.
And from my personal opinion, stay away from Dell. They make some of the worst. But again, that's just my opinion.

#7 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:58

Get her a vizio, thinkpad, or dell vostro.

#8 mr_sock_00

mr_sock_00

Neowinian

• Phone: LG L7

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:59

To answer your question. Try Envy, Folio, Zenbook or Series 9 (from top of my head...)

#9 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Win 8.1 Pro, iOS7, OSX 10.7, Ubuntu/WinXP system Died the Good Death

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:00

yea there are a bunch that are close to apple, some are assembled only a few feet away from each other

other then that i dont think your going to find a Mac anything for around 500 ( exception basic models of the Mac Mini and they start @ 600 )

*Edit- im with majority of the others in the thread as far as what to get

#10 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:01

Yeah guys, please avoid turning this thread into a flamewar - there are other threads for debating.

500 pounds is about 790-ish CAD, which is about the average cost of laptops today. Generally speaking the consumer laptops priced at this range will cut corners at something - materials, screen resolution, size, battery, etc - to reach that price point. Ultrabooks similar to the Macbook Air would be your best bet if you want something similar to a Macbook.

#11 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:11

Nope. There's a reason why Apple is worth nearly a trillion dollars by now.

#12 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:12

I recently bought a laptop from comet for £350 not too heavy feels very smooth and has a great screen imo.

http://www.comet.co....K-Laptop/668638

#13 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:13

Some Sony's come close, especially the Z - but it's also close in terms of pricing :p Still a brilliant option (with great and huge touchpads) is the Vaio S series. But still quite a bit more than £500.

I think you can't expect Apple-like build quality (and style) for £500. And oh yeah, avoid those AMD APU's at all cost. They are cheap but couple those with a cheap HDD (not an SSD) and you have a machine that literally feels slow while surfing the web.

#14 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:16

Are you kidding? All major laptop manufacturers exceed Apple and the OS of course. If you just mean MacBook Air, then things get a little more interesting but still far great choice and versatility on the PC side. Apple does one thing better - the trackpad and its gestures. But then I am not personally fond of button-less trackpad design.

#15 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:17

Nope. There's a reason why Apple is worth nearly a trillion dollars by now.

Yes, the iPhone / iPad / iPod ranges...