Photo

Do any of the laptop manufacturers come close to Apple?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:33

It terms of pure hardware quality, no.

In terms of what's best for you - you need to weigh up the options (software, hardware performance and support).

#47 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:08

If i had to recommend anyone a PC that's close to Apple's design process, it would be any computer from the ENVY and SPECTRE Line from HP which are pretty close.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:24

No!
End Thread.

The arogance of these type of 'answers' always amuses me. Offers nothing to the thread what so ever.

As for the OP, as has been said many times, Lenovo have some fantastic laptops out there and will be my next purchase if my T400 ever dies.

#49 Shadier

Shadier

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:49

I have an Asus laptop and I could not be any more happy with it. The build quality on it is very nice. It is a higher end model, but I imagine their more budget friendly laptops are up to par on build quality. Really anything by Asus or Lenevo would be a good option in terms of quality.

#50 ARchamps

ARchamps

Neowinian

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:17

FWIW, I dropped my Lenovo U150 netbook down stairs, flat on hardwood, and was exposed to split coffee in my car for an extended period. Aside from obvious cosmetic scratches it still works. Had it for about 3+ years. I had a Dell laptop in the past and it fell apart in less than 2. Lenovo all the way!

#51 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:14

I would strongly recommend the asus ux31a.

#52 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:42

Any opinions on this laptop please?

Samsung Series 5 530U

+ It's made by Samsung (her favourite brand)
+ It's really nicely styled
+ Thin and light
+ Has an HDMI output
+ It apparently has a great trackpad with gestures etc

My only concern is that it doesn't seem to be particularly fast for the money, but being honest, I think any i5 CPU will be more than enough for my mum - and the form factor, keyboard, screen etc is all far more important than the processor for her.

#53 zeta_immersion

zeta_immersion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:52

all come close to apple, it all depends what you look for

I just got a 480$ CDN (tax in) an Acer 17.3 with 4GB ram , win 8, with extended keyboard. Runs perfect looks ok, the screen is good, perfect for me at this point in time.

Would I have gond with the raving of retina display ---- no - to me it does nothing. Premium on the way it looks - not really, and other things considerend not worth the premium

For me I would rather get the pro-star.com laptops much better and customizable ... BUT if you like shiny things apple is the way to go

#54 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:33

Thanks, I do like the Samsungs, but WHY have their newer, Windows 8 with SSD laptops look so much uglier than the old one?

New one: http://www.currys.co...056549-pdt.html

Old one: http://www.amazon.co...E/ref=de_a_smtd

Argh! :)

#55 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:55

Apple tends to have nicer trackpads than the Synaptics rubbish I see in the usual PC World laptops. Otherwise I don't think there's anything particularly spectacular about them. They can have the same hardware issues as any device that's mass-produced in China.

Some Sony machines seem to be built fairly well but they have a higher price tag. Lenovo of course have the Thinkpads, though they're not the prettiest, they have a reputation for reliability. Can't vouch for Samsung but I tend to avoid their stuff on the back of my poor experiences with their hard disks. I've heard great things about their SSDs though (the 830 in particular).

It helps to have a look at them in a store as some laptops while looking impressive "on paper" can feel pretty cheap when you actually see them. It's also worth remembering that manufacturers have consumer and business class machines. The Toshiba you buy for £300 in PC World isn't going to be the same as the £600 Toshiba you see online.

And finally there's the OS. Will she like OS X or Windows 8 more?

#56 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2012 - 00:22

Thank you - you're not wrong about the trackpads on Apples, I love the one on my girlfriend's Macbook, I haven't used a single Windows laptop that even comes close to it!

Samsung is the company that's tempting me the most right now, for example the two above, although to get a Samsung with SSD is around £900+, so rather out of the budget unfortunately! Interesting that there are consumer and business class and consumer class, I'm guessing that also explains the differences in the laptops above? And why an older laptop looks to have much better quality than the newer one?

#57 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

Posted 09 November 2012 - 00:35

I come from the PC world, I've been using PCs and Windows laptops for the ~20 last years, but I bought a MacBook Pro Retina in august for a change. Trust me, I'm not a Apple fanboy, but I've never seen a Windows laptop that had the build quality the MacBook Pro has!

#58 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 09 November 2012 - 00:38

Apple tends to have nicer trackpads than the Synaptics rubbish I see in the usual PC World laptops. Otherwise I don't think there's anything particularly spectacular about them. They can have the same hardware issues as any device that's mass-produced in China.

Some Sony machines seem to be built fairly well but they have a higher price tag. Lenovo of course have the Thinkpads, though they're not the prettiest, they have a reputation for reliability. Can't vouch for Samsung but I tend to avoid their stuff on the back of my poor experiences with their hard disks. I've heard great things about their SSDs though (the 830 in particular).

It helps to have a look at them in a store as some laptops while looking impressive "on paper" can feel pretty cheap when you actually see them. It's also worth remembering that manufacturers have consumer and business class machines. The Toshiba you buy for £300 in PC World isn't going to be the same as the £600 Toshiba you see online.

And finally there's the OS. Will she like OS X or Windows 8 more?

My Sony Vaio has a pretty kickass Synaptics touchpad. It has full multitouch support. Two-finger scroll, ChiralScroll (iPod click wheel style circle scrolling without having to lift up your finger, ever), two-finger tap for right click, holding one finger and tapping with the other for middle click, three-finger tap for back in the browser, ... It's usually a driver issue.

The worst touchpads by far aren't those made by Synaptics but those by ELAN and ALPS. They are atrocities.

#59 shadodemon

shadodemon

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2012 - 00:45

Lenovo is the next best brand :) I have had Lenovo for years best brand next to Apple, also I have Apple hardware too, but I trust that Lenovo if I were to drop my tablet it would survive something I couldnt do with my MacBook Pro :o

#60 Paramore™

Paramore™

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2012 - 00:49

Something similar to the new macbook pro would be a Dell running on Windows 98.