Photo

Do any of the laptop manufacturers come close to Apple?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 09 November 2012 - 00:53

Nope, they're all way ahead of Apple. Especially ASUS.
My ASUS 11.6 inch Ultrabook looks exactly like a Macbook Air, but of course it's better... cuz it's not an Apple.

#62 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 November 2012 - 00:54

It terms of pure hardware quality, no.

In terms of what's best for you - you need to weigh up the options (software, hardware performance and support).

I agree. Apple computers are extremely well built. However, I can buy 2 or 3 regular computers for the price of one Apple computers, and it may or may not last as long but it will almost last as long and I can have much better quality software to use. It all depends on what you want, I suppose.

#63 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:25

Hello,

One thing to consider when purchasing a new laptop is that the manufacturer usually charges quite a hefty premium for memory and storage upgrades.

It is far less expensive to order a computer with the bare amount of RAM and smallest capacity hard disk drive, and then upgrade these yourself after purchasing the components from Amazon, NewEgg, NCIX or one of the many other retailers on the Internet.

Of course, one should check to make sure that these parts are user-upgradeable. On some of the newest ultrabooks, the memory is sometimes soldered onto the motherboard of the computer, and SSDs may have a non-standard form-factor or connector, but for most netbooks, notebooks and portable workstation class systems this is a non-issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#64 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 09 November 2012 - 14:12

Of course, one should check to make sure that these parts are user-upgradeable. On some of the newest ultrabooks, the memory is sometimes soldered onto the motherboard of the computer, and SSDs may have a non-standard form-factor or connector, but for most netbooks, notebooks and portable workstation class systems this is a non-issue.

I never seen memory soldered to the board. The only time I saw it was on the Raspberry Pi. Even my netbook had removable RAM.

All SSD's all have a standard size and connections.

#65 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 09 November 2012 - 14:23

I never seen memory soldered to the board. The only time I saw it was on the Raspberry Pi. Even my netbook had removable RAM.

I've got an old toshiba here with memory soldered to the board and 1 expansion slot :p
Also all macbooks have soldered memory now do they not? Not sure about MBP but I know that ifixit site was kicking up a fuss about it.
Ah yes, MBPs have soldered RAM too now; http://appleinsider....propreitary_ssd

#66 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 09 November 2012 - 14:38

Hi,

It's my mums 50th birthday soon, and my nan is looking to get her a laptop. I'm a firm believer that for your average user, the actual technical specs don't mean anything (with the exception of maybe an SSD drive) and pretty much any laptop on the market right now will do what she needs it to.

So that brings us to the actual build quality - IMO the most important part of buying a laptop by far is that it feels nice. That it isn't too heavy, that it doesn't feel bulky on your lap, that it doesn't get ridiculously hot, that it has a nice trackpad (not those tiny ones with two buttons at the bottom), a nice keyboard, and a nice screen.

Now here's the problem - can I get something like that for around £500? Disregarding the spec for a moment, is there anything out there that feels nice to use for that kind of money? My nan would probably go higher if needed (maybe even to MBP/MBA levels) but I think that'd be unfair to get her to spend that much on something.

the majority of apples products are sup par to everything else on the market..... sony, samsung, alienware, dell, asus, zoostorm.... and many m ore beat apple hands down... I would get your mum a zoostorm laptop ... I got my self one its cheap powerful and i love it

#67 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 09 November 2012 - 15:24

I've got an old toshiba here with memory soldered to the board and 1 expansion slot :p
Also all macbooks have soldered memory now do they not? Not sure about MBP but I know that ifixit site was kicking up a fuss about it.
Ah yes, MBPs have soldered RAM too now; http://appleinsider....propreitary_ssd

Wouldn't that be irrelevant, though? He wants a 500 GBP laptop, I don't think he has to worry about that.

#68 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2012 - 16:22

Many thanks all for the replies, to be honest I don't think my mum will need much space (ie a 128GB SSD would be plenty, and far preferable to even a 1TB regular drive) nor any need for more than 4GB RAM so should be okay in that regard :)

I'm going to look at Asus Ultrabooks now... have to say I'm leaning towards a Samsung, but everyone always talks up the Asus/Lenovo build quality

(edit) Not sure if I mentioned before, but I've spoke with my nan and her budget is now £600 btw :)

#69 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 09 November 2012 - 23:44

I agree. Apple computers are extremely well built. However, I can buy 2 or 3 regular computers for the price of one Apple computers, and it may or may not last as long but it will almost last as long and I can have much better quality software to use. It all depends on what you want, I suppose.

From a power perspective they may be close but from a build quality perspective not even near. I am not a Mac owner, I actually swear by Lenovo Thinkpad laptops and to get an equivalently specced Thinkpad T Series to a MacBook Pro, will cost you about £100 less - and there is no way you can get another for £100 ;-)

#70 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:02

100% decided on the Asus Vivobook range now, think it's perfect for her because I wasn't sure whether to go for a tablet or a laptop.

The problem is, only the S200 is available in the UK right now, which is 11.6"... not sure if that's too small and I should look into trying to import the S400 which is 14", maybe slightly too big. Argh! :D