Photo

iPhone 5 Aluminium Back

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 September 2012 - 20:46

I got my iPhone 5 on Friday. I have been babying it and keeping it safe from any harm since then. I look at the back now, and I see a faint scratch in the aluminum and some weird marks that look like permanent finger prints (the size of a pea) as well.

Overall, not a fan of the ditch from glass. In comparison, I have a iPhone 4 and the glass back has virtually no real scratches and just a slight rub if you look at it from a certain angle. And that is just about 2 years old.

Anyone else share in my despise of the aluminum back? Not to mention i don't think it looks that good either.

#2 Daniel Tablas

Daniel Tablas

Neowinian

Posted 24 September 2012 - 22:18

The two-tone back adds to the illusion that the phone has been awkwardly 'streched' because it tricks the eye into thinking the glossy ends aren't really part of the phone and shouldn't be there. Also like you said, it attracts grease like smudges that are very hard to clean off the phone. I was in the Apple store a couple hours ago, and the backs of all the phones on display already look so worn down and old.

#3 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 24 September 2012 - 22:29

The black of the iPhone 5 is made of anodized aluminum so it should be scratch-resistant. I read that it's more scratch-resistant than the white iPhone 5 which is made of non-anodized aluminum. Are you sure what you're seeing is a scratch?

The two-tone back adds to the illusion that the phone has been awkwardly 'streched' because it tricks the eye into thinking the glossy ends aren't really part of the phone and shouldn't be there. Also like you said, it attracts grease like smudges that are very hard to clean off the phone. I was in the Apple store a couple hours ago, and the backs of all the phones on display already look so worn down and old.

Did you visit the Eaton Centre location or Yorkdale Mall? I'd love to take a look at the iPhone 5 in person.

#4 zeta_immersion

zeta_immersion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 September 2012 - 22:33

I went by Fairview to take a quick peak ... looks ok didn't get a chance to touch one ....

#5 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:49

There are videos up every where showing how bad the 5 is scratching. Even ifixit did a video on it. I put mine in a case the second I bought it Friday.

#6 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:54

The black of the iPhone 5 is made of anodized aluminum so it should be scratch-resistant. I read that it's more scratch-resistant than the white iPhone 5 which is made of non-anodized aluminum. Are you sure what you're seeing is a scratch?

it's the exact oposite though, it's the fact that it is indeed anodized that it is so scratch prone. I'm not sure if it's their process of anodizing it that's the problem or what, but it's been proven that raw aluminum isn't even as scratch prone as the anodized aluminum on the iPhone 5.

just look at this article and some of the comments on it http://www.iphonehac...ratch-test.html it's really bad just how scratch prone it really is

#7 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:11

Just use a case. Or take a scouring pad to it, and give it a nice, original "brushed aluminium" look.

#8 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:22

it's the exact oposite though, it's the fact that it is indeed anodized that it is so scratch prone. I'm not sure if it's their process of anodizing it that's the problem or what, but it's been proven that raw aluminum isn't even as scratch prone as the anodized aluminum on the iPhone 5.

I think it's mostly because when you scratch the silver-finish aluminum, the metal underneath is the same color. When you scratch the black-finish aluminum, the raw metal underneath contrasts much more against the black.

Seems like they should have used a thicker anodizing process.

#9 OP ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:47

I don't understand the use of the case. The only reason I would use a case is if I was going to sell it like new at the end of a 2 year contract. Otherwise, use it and abuse it, and THEN put a case on to hide the ugliness.

#10 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:51

I don't understand the use of the case. The only reason I would use a case is if I was going to sell it like new at the end of a 2 year contract. Otherwise, use it and abuse it, and THEN put a case on to hide the ugliness.

reasons to have a case:
  • waterproofing (some cases do this)
  • to go with a screen protector
  • to help protect from potential fall damage (you can say you won't drop your phone all you want, **** happens sometimes, IMO it's better to be prepared than be SOL if it does happen)
  • added style
  • ect.

#11 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:06

reasons to have a case:

• ect.

Ectoplasm?

#12 PsyOpWarlord

PsyOpWarlord

Geek with Guns

• Phone: iPhone 5 - iOS 7.1.1

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:07

Ectoplasm?

Hey, even Ghostbusters want to carry their phones.

#13 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:28

So during the durability tests it got scratched to **** and they thought 'oh **** it, get it shipped'

#14 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:35

just look at this article and some of the comments on it http://www.iphonehac...ratch-test.html it's really bad just how scratch prone it really is

Damn that's bad :/

#15 BGM

BGM

Wibble Wobble™

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:07

does it really matter?

it gives them character, i never get cases for my phones.. they look horrible!