• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 watchthisspace

watchthisspace

Cheese Grator

• 459 posts
  • Phone: iPhone

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:05

The company’s record-breaking sales numbers certainly don’t make it easy to guess at how widespread the issue is, but an informal poll in the MacRumors forumsindicates that out of some 1260 respondents, more than a third are reporting some kind of damage. The source of the scuffs (pictured below) is anyone’s guess, but as All Things D points out, the iPhone 5’s case is made out of anodized (i.e., coated) aluminum, which, while being lighter than the stainless steel used in the iPhone 4 and 4S, is also softer and appears to be more susceptible to scratching. It's worth noting that HTC used a comparable oxidized finish for its One S handset — a phone whose users reported having similar cosmetic issues.

Source: http://www.theverge....damage-aluminum

I hope anyone here hasn't experienced this! And fingers crossed on Friday I don't have this problem. I'll by purchasing mine from Telecom and I know they won't be easy to deal with unlike going to an Apple store.

The scuffs may be minor, but for a brand new product, you'd want it to be scuff free until the usual wear and tear happens.

#2 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• 2,646 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:10

It's part of the magical wonderfulness of the new iPhone 5. Or, the owners of the affected phones took them out of the box wrong.

#3 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,679 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:13

omg, scuffgate!

#4 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

• 1,262 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:25

Congrats... you just discovered that an electronic device will have scuffes and scratches if you drop it on the ground or rub it against an abrasive surface... ;)

that's why glass is better than aluminum in my opinion... it can break if you're not cautious, but it resists well to scuffes and scratches (better than plastic or aluminum)

#5 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,380 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:28

Many users are reporting issues with iPhone 5 with wifi, screens and overall poor build quality.

#6 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,313 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:33

That reminds me of the surface the old iPods used. I had one that I kept in it's original cover/case since getting it, never took it out and it got scratched badly. Common problem, sounds like it's returning?

#7 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

• 1,262 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:39

Many users are reporting issues with iPhone 5 with wifi, screens and overall poor build quality.

Yup, isolated cases probably. They sold like 5 millions phones in 3 days... There will be a faulty device here and there.

#8 Open Minded

Open Minded

Balance

• 1,244 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:42

So scratches and bad screens? Is this the Apple "polish" that I hear so much about? I mean, it's just more polished.

/polish

#9 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• 6,323 posts
  • OS: Win 8.1 Pro, iOS7, OSX 10.7, Ubuntu/WinXP system Died the Good Death

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:45

i have had the screen of my iPad 1 do the flashing thing.

to fix it i took it away from the screwed up lighting and reflections on the light sensor, also had my Logitech DNovo Edge do the same thing ( its touch controls are light based )

the first and 3rd vid Boz' posted it seems it was assembled screwed up, and doubtful its a widespread issue as it would have made the main TV News already, but still needs returned

#10 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:45

I'd be very annoyed if I paid that much money for a phone and when I got it, it was all scuffed.

#11 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• 6,323 posts
  • OS: Win 8.1 Pro, iOS7, OSX 10.7, Ubuntu/WinXP system Died the Good Death

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:46

I'd be very annoyed if I paid that much money for a phone and when I got it, it was all scuffed.

id be more then annoyed if anything i bought was scuffed / scratched out of the box

but from what i read not long after the release was the new iPhone scratches VERY easily on the back

#12 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:47

You could hand it to them, and I'm sure they'd give you a new one.

I've mentioned this before, but the QC for 5 Million phones on relatively new hardware is the end user. You can have all the assurances in your process that you want, but at that level, there's gonna be some duds.

#13 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

• 25,344 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:52

After getting a feel for the new iPhone 5 enclosure from friends/work colleagues last week that have one, it doesn't seem to be as durable as the glass on the iPhone 4/4S.

#14 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:57

id be more then annoyed if anything i bought was scuffed / scratched out of the box

but from what i read not long after the release was the new iPhone scratches VERY easily on the back

That is true. I'd take it back in a heartbeat.

#15 jesseinsf

jesseinsf

Neowinian

• 1,023 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:02

Yup, isolated cases probably. They sold like 5 millions phones in 3 days... There will be a faulty device here and there.

I hate Apple with a passion. But I would not say that it is poor build quality. It is terrible Quality Control of all the parts and packaging. I'd blame most on part of the who assebled the iPhone and apple pushing out the iPhone 5 to early which probably didn't give enough time to have good quality control (QC).

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!