iphone

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Ottawa Gamerz

Ottawa Gamerz

Neowinian

• 165 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:43

that's y people shouldn't of jump on to the iPhone 5 so soon so if u can break it or scratch it lol pulling it out of the box lol go back to the 4s

#17 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,253 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:02

Their silver backed iPods are the same way. Always get scratched the hell up even if you have a protected cover. I see many people rave on the build quality of the iPhone and how solid it feels compared to the plastic feel of some other phones...but other phones do not scratch nearly as easily You would figure with all that R&D that Apple claims to have done designing the iPhone to begin with, that they would be able to design a phone that doesnt scratch easily.

#18 SteveMackinnon

SteveMackinnon

Neowinian

• 73 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:47

My iPhone 5 arrived with a slight scuff on one of the back corners,
Apple said that if I return with the box and receipt they will replace it no questions asked - they also said they're doing this with all iPhone 5's for the first 14 days whether the 'scuff' was caused by the courier OR the user.

I agree that QC should be kept tight to ensure this happens to a minimum but you can't fault them when they are that forthcoming with replacements.

Just my 2 pence.

#19 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,866 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:54

yeah you may get some faulty ones but if you use metal that is easily scratched it won't be long before its covered in them.

#20 kronckew

kronckew

Neowinian

• 120 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:28

it as mentioned is an undocumented feature.

i understand that there was a riot at the chinese slave labour plant where apple makes the i5, they dared to ask for meat in their rice gruel once a month, and for toilet breaks every 12 hours.

the government naturally sent in the troops to shoot a few of these ungrateful right wing extremist running dogs of the western imperialists. sadly a few i5's were slightly damaged by fleeing dissidents, but apple bravely decided to proceed full speed ahead getting the product out to you consumers.

the miscreants will of course be punished by a 50% pay cut to 5 yuan per day and a rise in their rent to cover the damage costs to apple. they also will have their most generous meat ration of twice a year cut to the national average of once a year. apple gratuitously decided to also pass on the lost revenue costs to their grateful public. the anti-revolutionary reactionaries were about to get a 4 hour sleep break daily and a whole half day off on chairman mao day annually, this of course will be postponed until further notice. their quota will be increased by 25% as well to ensure you get your iPhone5 expeditiously.

#21 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,983 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:49

Mine had a nick in the side band about 1mm long right out the box, not bothered enough to take it back though.

#22 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:53

everyone is just waaay behind the fashion curve... Just like the jeans at the beginning of the 2000's that Ambercrombie and Fitch started selling that were "pre-worn". This is just that, but for electronics. It's that, " I've had the newest phone forever" look, that makes you look like you have been waaay ahead of everyone else :p

#23 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,489 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:05

I've had this happening with multiple iPods, two iMacs, one BlackBerry Torch 9860 and an HP all-in-one printer. The joys of mass production huh?

#24 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,489 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:10

Um if you paid good money for a phone (or any other product) and it came damaged (yes scruffs, scratches are considered damage) out of the box wouldn't you be ****ed too?

I've never had Apple make a fuss about exchanging a product that came damaged out of the box. Could return it in 14 days with the new one already on its way. At one point I actually had two brand new 27-inch iMacs standing on my desk and got a €125 refund for my troubles. It's inconvenient, but these things happen. No need to be ****ed off, unless they would actually make a problem.

#25 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:15

According to Phil Schiller, the senior vice president of worldwide marketing at Apple, the scratches are normal....LOL

Posted Image

#26 DomZ

DomZ

Neowinian Senior

• 3,205 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 / Nexus 4 / iPhone 4

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:16

After getting a feel for the new iPhone 5 enclosure from friends/work colleagues last week that have one, it doesn't seem to be as durable as the glass on the iPhone 4/4S.

Have you seen any of the drop tests?! Even the one done by 'Android Authority' was full of praise of the iPhone 5's durability

iPhone 5 Drop Test and Durability Video

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 Drop Test

#27 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• 2,513 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:21

The iPhone screen flicker is so much like my 2011 iMac screen flicker, which weirdly still happens mainly only on login screen I can't make out what is causing it, I had it extremely badly once where it would flicker so so bad!!!

#28 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• 6,676 posts
  • OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:33

I bought mine opening day and haven't had those issues.. Although, I did put it in a Speck Candyshell case that afternoon, but I have ALWAYS had cases on every phone I own.

#29 shifts

shifts

Neowinian

• 680 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:37

You can have all the assurances in your process that you want, but at that level, there's gonna be some duds.

Well said. Frankly I'm amazed that anyone finds it shocking that anodised aluminium scratches when you take a harder or sharper metal object and try to scratch it.

If unites which are boxed turn up are scratched / damaged etc then thats an entirely different matter, however I there is always a % out of X amount of units which will always have issues, this is the same with any product released in their millions.

Each and every material out there has some compromise. That one test where they take the sharp sim ejector tool and try to scratch metal is pure crap, of course it will. Bet it scratches, plastic and the back of the old 4s as well. Take it to a car and I'd bet it'll scratch that too.

Does anyone have any proper tests of the iPhone 5 one week later, where it's been in pockets with keys and coins, sat on in the back pocket whilst getting into the car.

Like I said early if it ARRIVES damaged then that's an entirely different issue and consumer laws are there to protect consumers etc.

#30 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:38

You should always always ALWAYS put a case on something like a mobile phone. It's idiotic to go without one. It will get scuffs and scratches.

My Galaxy Nexus is proof of that. :p I don't have a case because nobody seems to stock them (and I'm talking about old fashioned retail... I want to try before I buy) and the phone around the edges and back cover is chipped and scratched to buggery.