• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

• 25,344 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone

Posted 25 September 2012 - 23:48

Have you seen any of the drop tests?! Even the one done by 'Android Authority' was full of praise of the iPhone 5's durability

iPhone 5 Drop Test and Durability Video

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 Drop Test

Oh I have and agree it's more durable as a whole but it seems to be increasingly more susceptible to daily wear/tear than the glass/steel band combination on the iPhone 4/4S.

#47 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 00:47

You should always always ALWAYS put a case on something like a mobile phone. It's idiotic to go without one. It will get scuffs and scratches.

I've never put one on any of mine, and I've owned just about every iPhone, and I frequently take them hiking / mountain biking.

I broke one because it fell out of my hand and onto a curb... I don't think a case was going to save it that time. Not to mention it cost me all of $20 to fix the screen.

That said, hell if I care if it gets scratches on it. It's a phone, not the Mona Lisa.

#48 Somnus

Somnus

Ban this ^^^ guy!

• 529 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:50

I've never put one on any of mine, and I've owned just about every iPhone, and I frequently take them hiking / mountain biking.

I broke one because it fell out of my hand and onto a curb... I don't think a case was going to save it that time. Not to mention it cost me all of $20 to fix the screen.

That said, hell if I care if it gets scratches on it. It's a phone, not the Mona Lisa.

I feel the same way, but I do put a screen protector on my phones. I don't care if the back gets scratched, but I do like the screen to be clear of nicks and what not.

#49 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:20

Thank you. It's just a phone. People carry on like it's worth billions.

#50 kevpan815

kevpan815

Apple Developer Program + Ubuntu Tester

• 732 posts
  • Phone: Apple IPhone 5 Running IOS 6.1 Beta 3!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:39

NOT ME, however I did manage to get the back of the Silver Case on my Silver/White IPhone 5 a little dirty by putting it in my Blue Jeans Pocket today were the Lent from the Washer/Dryer got stuck on the Back of my IPhone 5 and Discolored it a little although the screen stayed nice and clean, looks like a Protecive Cover is a must with this IPhone! Just FYI.

#51 OP watchthisspace

watchthisspace

Cheese Grator

• 459 posts
  • Phone: iPhone

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:47

My silver aluminum HTC Legend scratched too exposing its darker grey color. Can you explain to us why exactly it's abnormal according to you when it involves an Apple product?

Because your phone is clearly old (no offense) and that's wear and tear. Something I would agree with. However, as the article states, some people have found defects (scuffs, scratches, etc) upon taking the phone out of the box. Something I feel is not normal and should not be accepted.

There's a thread on Macrumors about this and too many people who have opened their new iPhone 5 boxes to these defects are being treated pretty harsh in that they should get over it. Definitely not I say.

#52 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,467 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:41

Because your phone is clearly old (no offense) and that's wear and tear. Something I would agree with. However, as the article states, some people have found defects (scuffs, scratches, etc) upon taking the phone out of the box. Something I feel is not normal and should not be accepted.

I used the HTC Legend for less than a year and never dropped it. I'm now two smartphones past it.

#53 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,569 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:00

You should always always ALWAYS put a case on something like a mobile phone. It's idiotic to go without one. It will get scuffs and scratches.

the day i put a case on my phone is the day that i won't use it anymore... if you are die hard not wanting scratches on it, a person should leave it at home.;

#54 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,450 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:45

If the back is like the iPod Touch 4 it will be full of scratches quickly no doubt about it.

With an aluminium back it's mostly inevitable. You either have to use a soft case of simply accept the fact it's gonna be full of scratches.

The back of my iPod is full of scratches. Doesn't bother me since i never look at it ...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!