Google Maps App not coming to iOS 6

Google has not made a maps app for the iPhone 5, its chairman Eric Schmidt said this morning - and his company is not working on one.

The search engine supremo's snub will come as a blow to fanbois who "upgraded" to the latest Apple smartphone, or installed the new iOS 6 operating system on their fruity gadgets, and found Google's maps app replaced by Apple's less-than-brilliant satnav-like alternative. Many punters have urged Google to produce a new replacement map app.

"We have not done anything yet," Schmidt said, answering questions from journalists in Japan, according to Reuters.

Schmidt revealed that execs at top tech companies chat among themselves a lot, but that obviously doesn't stop the power play that has seen Google's map service booted out of the iPhone. Apple and Google are locked in a battle for supremacy in the mobile tech arena: the search giant's Android operating system is at the heart of smartphones and tablets competing against Apple's iPhones and iPads.

"We?ve been talking with [Apple] for a long time. We talk to them every day," he insisted. He was mellow on Apple's decision:

We think it would have been better if they had kept ours. But what do I know? What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It?s their call.

Schmidt's aside to a press pack is the only indication from Google so far about its plans for Google Maps on iOS 6, which also powers the new iPhone 5. There was speculation that Google was on the verge of putting out a replacement app available through iTunes.

Schmidt took the opportunity to make a few more points about the iPhone: "Apple is the exception, and the Android system is the common model, which is why our market share is so much higher."

Schmidt said that the success of Linux-powered Android smartphones has been overlooked by the media, which he said was "obsessed with Apple's marketing events and Apple's branding".

"That's great for Apple, but the numbers are on our side," he said.

Source: http://www.theregist...e_maps_on_ios6/

this doesn't actually say for sure whether google maps will be released for ios or not.

True, but it goes against what I've heard a few folks saying that there's already an app waiting to be approved.

In hindsight I'd add "yet" to the topic subject if I could! :p

it would be pointless for apple to ditcch google maps then approve a google maps app you can download cus ppl will use that and not apples appauling effort which woyluld defeat the purpose of what there trying do.

Of course Apple would approve the App the real thing is that Google should have prepaired an alternative app, in the early Betas we all knew the map provider would change in iOS6.

Maybe Google doesnt want to have an Maps App for iOS and by the time they do iMaps will be revamped and all bugs fixed.

Apple should of kept Google Maps until their program was ready to go public. Right now, it feels like it is in the early beta stages.. I am all for new products and competition, but Apple really screwed its customers here. But wont matter because people will still buy their products in droves.

• Like 1

It would be beneficial IMO for google not to release Maps on the iphone, as then it would force people to think long and hard if they want a decent maps app that they are used to, and if so ditch iphone for the better option. In this regard, and if it transpires, apple shot themselves in the foot as they wanted to use their own crappy iteration in order to distance themselves from google and google products.

Yes its one app, but its an important app, and one that has caused the most complaints thus far.

It would be beneficial IMO for google not to release Maps on the iphone, as then it would force people to think long and hard if they want a decent maps app that they are used to, and if so ditch iphone for the better option. In this regard, and if it transpires, apple shot themselves in the foot as they wanted to use their own crappy iteration in order to distance themselves from google and google products.

Yes its one app, but its an important app, and one that has caused the most complaints thus far.

Exactly, you want Google Maps and Navigation? Then ditch your crappy iPhone and come to Android. I guarantee you that if this were to happen Apple would "change their minds" real quick once they started losing even more market share

Exactly, you want Google Maps and Navigation? Then ditch your crappy iPhone and come to Android. I guarantee you that if this were to happen Apple would "change their minds" real quick once they started losing even more market share

And I would say ditch crappy Android and come to Nokia for Nokia Drive and Nokia Maps :)

• Like 2

And I would say ditch crappy Android and come to Nokia for Nokia Drive and Nokia Maps :)

Ditch them all... Rand McNally paper maps and DriverSidePassengerMapReader.prsn v2.0 all the way!

Not really a big deal... just use the web app if iMap is so terrible.

The problem is that web maps are not integrated into the OS.. so you get significantly inferior experience.

Btw, wouldn't it be funny if Google prevented the web maps on iOS devices too :)

A Jailbroken port of Google maps is on its way, still it's not the same and no matter what Apple do they will struggle to offer the same as what Google can without huge investments, Mapping technology is big for Google, thousand of employees and some pretty neat tech behind them. They did release the YouTube app seperatly, I would like to think that they would develop Google maps (and most likely charge for it). Still, even with a Google maps app it wouldn't be integrated into the OS. :(

The problem is that web maps are not integrated into the OS.. so you get significantly inferior experience.

Btw, wouldn't it be funny if Google prevented the web maps on iOS devices too :)

It would be the dumbest thing they could do.

But who cares, Apple maps are perfect as they are.

Jobs would never have signed off on this Maps app as it stands. Gotta wonder what the hell the folks at Apple are on... It's almost like they're trying to sabotage themselves...

It would be the dumbest thing they could do.

But who cares, Apple maps are perfect as they are.

I'm sure if you peddle that line often enough, others might believe it. It's pretty clear they're not perfect