Photo

Why do ALL new phones have to be 4+ inches?!?!?!?!

phone mobile windows ios android sony htc samsung apple iphone

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Niklas Pedersen

Niklas Pedersen

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:36

As headline, why does new phones has to be 4+ inch?

I am the kind of user who sees the mobile phone as a MOBILE phone....

With that I mean a phone you can use with one hand, easy to stuff in even small pockets. Like the iPhone is. Well until the iPhone 5, but that is another discussion..

I feel like I am being PUSHED by all other phone makers to buy an iPhone, if I want a phone which isn’t bad and has a lot of the same features as the new phones, I HAVE to choose an iPhone. But I do not want an iPhone.

For ALL other makers, a small phone equals a cheap feature-less phone. I am not talking small as in a 3 inch but the 3.5 to 3.7 inch, which phones were some time ago. My dream phone would be a Nokia Lumia 800 with Windows Phone 8 and a front facing camera. Same size, same shape and perhaps a better display (hate that pentile, but another story). As Neowin has written in its rumors, the phone which will be replacing the 610 will be….. 4 inch?!?! I mean don’t they go lower than that?! And HTC with their new Windows Phone 8 devices is also 4 inch? I mean is it illegal to make a phone smaller than 4 inch now a day, or is it impossible to make phone so small anymore, because Apple has done a fine job with it? I would love to have a phone with Windows Phone 8, but I don’t want a bag size phone with that, so I am looking at an Android. Which I must choose because I do NOT want an iPhone, and I do not want a handbag. So I am stuck in a dilemma. Big phone and Windows Phone 8 (thinking ONLY 4 inch [HTC 8S]) or the right size phone and Android and less features, not that I don’t like android but I just want Windows Phone 8 so much more!

Please leave a comment with your thoughts and your perspective of this, but this is just my point of view, and don’t make it an Windows Phone vs. Android vs. iOS thing.. it’s not.. Really.. it’s not!

#2 +primortal

primortal

Why Does It Hurt!

• 3,469 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon (929)

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:40

Welcome to Neowin!

In America bigger is better :D More and more customers want larger screens so the carriers/manufactures supply the demand.

#3 mr_sock_00

mr_sock_00

Neowinian

• 258 posts
  • Phone: LG L7

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:42

You can get lower end handset that will have smaller screen? There's bunch of samsung models (Galaxy S <insert name>, Ace, mini, Focus.... etc) LG, ZTE, Huawei all have them.
I had the best experience using Galaxy S 4G with jellybean, great battery life.

#4 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:43

ive got a htc legend that has a small screen, have u tried typing on those touchscreens? its bloody imposible

#5 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,881 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:44

its a bit like men's natural wifi dongles......the bigger the better is the motto, although most dont know what to do with it!

#6 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:45

I'm not sure why the higher-end handsets have been becoming bigger and bigger, but I enjoy the larger sizes more (I've even been hoping for a Nokia Windows Phone with the same size screen as the Samsung Note). It's still a mobile to me because it's easy to carry around in my pocket; it just means I can see news articles and videos a bit better. Perhaps the majority of people who buy higher-end handsets prefer the larger screens, and it's therefore better for the companies to only make higher-end devices in those sizes? I'm not sure; that's just a suggestion :)

#7 aviator189

aviator189

Neowinian

• 886 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:46

there are still bunch that have smaller screens. for example: lumia 920 vs the 820.

#8 shall_i_cut

shall_i_cut

Touch me if you dare

• 455 posts
  • Phone: O+ 8.91

Try LG Optimus Me or Galaxy Pocket, both small but amazing.

#9 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

It's obvious that you are not interested in high performance and flexibility in your phone then - there still are small, compact phones with small screens that are simply used as a phone, for calling and texting.

A lot of consumers these days use phones for many things, such as playing games, watching tv, editing pictures and viewing websites. And you do kinda need a larger screen for these things. If you had all those features and a sub 4-inch display, it would be extremely irritating to do those things.

#10 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,862 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:47

its a bit like men's natural wifi dongles......the bigger the better is the motto, although most dont know what to do with it!

wifi? i thought they are all wired port connectors

#11 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:56

Because of market demand and consumer preference.

#12 OP Niklas Pedersen

Niklas Pedersen

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:57

You can get lower end handset that will have smaller screen? There's bunch of samsung models (Galaxy S <insert name>, Ace, mini, Focus.... etc) LG, ZTE, Huawei all have them.
I had the best experience using Galaxy S 4G with jellybean, great battery life.

That was what i meant, they would be lower end.. and i kind of want a higher end, but they dont make them small any more..

#13 shall_i_cut

shall_i_cut

Touch me if you dare

• 455 posts
  • Phone: O+ 8.91

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:01

That was what i meant, they would be lower end.. and i kind of want a higher end, but they dont make them small any more..

Galaxy Y or Pocket are the good high-end 2.8" phones.

#14 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,878 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:02

Bigger screen makes your penis happy. :)

#15 Jason_Coffey

Jason_Coffey

Neowinian

• 113 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:05

Why do new phones have to be put out every weekend.. They all do the same **** at this point.