Photo

Why do ALL new phones have to be 4+ inches?!?!?!?!

phone mobile windows ios android sony htc samsung apple iphone

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,365 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:07

IMO anything smaller than 4" is a waste of manufacturing resources.

#17 fehu

fehu

Neowinian

• 252 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:16

I have almost the same problem, actually I'm using a nokia e52 that is almost perfect for my use, but due to some little glitch and the craving for something more modern I'm searching a better phone, but can't find. 0_0
Almost a week of battery life, comfortable size, low weight, real keys, wifi and turn by turn gps is what I need but can't find in a single new phone.
Only hope is the next gen motorola pro+ with jb and maybe at least 2 days of battery life

#18 CGW-88

CGW-88

||Modified||

• 659 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 625

Posted 25 September 2012 - 15:26

I have never owned a smartphone but I agree with the current size of phones. I think they are a really good size for the functionality and everything.

I am planning on getting a lumia 920 when it comes out and I know I will love the size of it. Although I think at the moment they are a perfect size, they really dont need to push it any further.

#19 corrosive23

corrosive23

Neowinian

• 1,196 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note III

Posted 25 September 2012 - 15:37

Dont ever try to use a Glaxy Note.

5.3" Screen!

http://www.samsung.c....html?type=find

#20 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,876 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 18:06

wifi? i thought they are all wired port connectors

would explain why mine never gets a good signal or a connections :s

Its hands free for sure ::D :shiftyninja:

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,654 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 25 September 2012 - 18:25

there are still bunch that have smaller screens. for example: lumia 920 vs the 820.

the 920 is a 4.5" what are you talking about?

#22 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 September 2012 - 18:25

Quite simply because that's what the market demands. But there are still phones coming out that are smaller, it's just less common now. Research showed that the majority of people want a large screen on a phone.

#23 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,841 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 18:41

Was just wondering that the other day - saw this too on Gizmodo.com

http://gizmodo.com/5...e-crappy-phones

I don't need a 4.8+ phone. The Galaxy S3 at 4.7 seemed too big to me. I'm like why can't i get that phone but in a 4-4.3" size! 3.7" yeah ---- guess they have some decent ones but I loved the 4" of the original Galaxy S devices. I still feel like 4.3 is a little too big sometimes.

#24 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 18:45

It has actually nothing to do with any of what any of you have said (on the Android side of things)

ICS introduced on screen keys for back, home and menu. If those on screen keys weren't there, guess what would happen: Smaller screen to make room for physical buttons.

You guys had 5" inch phones a long time ago; Except now the screen takes up more space.

#25 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

• 9,026 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 18:48

I have the Desire (Bravo) at the moment, and it's as big as I'd want to go. The screen is nice and highres compared to the lower end (new) phones, but the new upgrades like the 'One' all get longer, like near 130mm. Not Jean friendly!

The One V is classed as small... no way... 120.3 x 59.7 x 9.2 mm

There's no way I would feel comfortable calling anyone on a Galaxy S3 either, it's huge.

I read the article above, I agree completely. I want the ultrabook of mobile phones.

My current laptop (when new) was the same. It's a 13inch, but it's still got a HD+ screen and a high spec 2.4GHZ Core Duo. It's about 4 years old now, so it's low end in comparison. But it's still compact.

#26 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 18:57

It has actually nothing to do with any of what any of you have said (on the Android side of things)

ICS introduced on screen keys for back, home and menu. If those on screen keys weren't there, guess what would happen: Smaller screen to make room for physical buttons.

You guys had 5" inch phones a long time ago; Except now the screen takes up more space.

We're talking about the difference between a 4.7" screen and a 3.5" screen. Not the 0.2" difference that physical buttons make, and more so, only the Galaxy Nexus has no buttons. Every other Android phone does.

#27 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

• 9,764 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:16

I'm with you. Although I think the right 4" phone could be the perfect size for me. My main concern isn't actually the screen size, but rather the dimensions of the device. I rather liked the size and shape of the Droid Incredible I used to have. I just hated everything else about it :-) One of the ways in which it was dreadful was the battery life. I expect a lot of that is just Android being awful / not taming the apps/widgets/etc, but certainly it doesn't help that the battery must be smaller to fit in the device.

All that said, I think features are going to sway me to the Lumia 920 when it comes out. In particular, the camera. I also really truly love the durability of my 900. It's the only smartphone in my memory which didn't have paint rub off on the edges or scratches/blemishes developer (including my original iPhone and iPhone 3G). The only wear is on the metal piece around the camera lens, which scratched up the first day. Supposedly this has been addressed with the new ceramic replacement on the 920. I'm anxious to actually hold it in my hand / put it in my pocket before making a decision, though.

I think the main reasons screens are getting bigger are:
1) Bigger screens come on bigger phones, with more volume to fit in a bigger battery.
2) That also allows more features (OIS camera and wireless charging in the Lumia 920, for example).
3) More features also sometimes means you need a bigger battery (LTE, NFC, etc).
4) It's working - people are buying bigger and bigger phones, like the Galaxy S II and now the S III.

On that last point, it reminds me of the laptop market. So many people I know think that the only metric for comparing laptops is screen size, and that bigger is always better. I hear things like "I couldn't afford the 16 inch one so I ended up with this 15 inch model." They tend to not understand why I'd pay so much for a 13" one (my Vaio Z). Maybe they're just used to TVs working that way. Plus I think a lot of people just don't consider other factors like portability or realize the trade-off.

#28 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:55

We're talking about the difference between a 4.7" screen and a 3.5" screen. Not the 0.2" difference that physical buttons make, and more so, only the Galaxy Nexus has no buttons. Every other Android phone does.

0.2"? I can humilate you so bad that it is not even worth it. Im just going to comment on why you are wrong.

The buttons are 0.2" but they just float in the air right? No, they are in a case which guess what; also takes up space.

Please think before posting :)

BTW, Im completely against big screen phones.

#29 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

• 2,896 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 20:13

My HTC Arrive has a 3.6 inch display. Its a bit on the small size but fits nicely in my hand. I can't imagine using a 4.8 inch phone.

#30 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,236 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 25 September 2012 - 20:14

I think Nokia still makes dumbphones, that's what you want, when you get a smartphone OR a multi function device, small screens don't cut it, I guess there are a few decnt smaller smartphones, but it will be a hssle to deal with a small screen, or stick with BlackBerry if you want a sorta smartphone