Why do ALL new phones have to be 4+ inches?!?!?!?!

I have pretty small hands, and sitting here imagining the length of an iPhone 5's added length, I actually don't have much trouble reaching the far opposite end with my thumb. I think Apple's decision to not increase the width saved them here.

I agree with the OP's idea, I want phones in my trouser pocket, not in my bag. For me around 4.5" is still okay since they can still fit in my trouser pocket okay, but that's already the limit, as Galaxy Note's extra 1cm plus dimensions makes it extremely hard and uncomfortable to put in a trouser pocket already. If I want something to put in my bag, I'll just bring my tablet. The gaming, video watching and web browsing experience on a 5-6" phone just downright sucks compared to a real 10" tablet. And if I really want to make phone calls with a large screen device, I'll get one of those Galaxy Tab 2 or Galaxy Note 10.1 devices.

Multimedia and gaming on a mobile phone is great, but I still want my mobile phone to be a mobile phone first, that I can put in my pocket, can hold on for five working days with light usage. It seems currently only the RAZR MAXX can fit that criteria for Android phones, but I'm reluctant to get a Motorola at this time.

We've seen this before with the invention of smart phones too. "I don't want a touch screen! I NEED KEYS!". That died off when people actually gave it a go.

There are still smaller screens around, look at low end devices. Tiny little things that are barely worth using IMO.

My Galaxy S3 fits in my pocket fine. So I don't know why people complain.

I don't have a smart phone, not because I don't want one. I do. It's because the data plan is just aweful. However, my phone is a touch phone and it's 2.5 inches and I would love ot have a bigger phone so I can view web pages.

We've seen this before with the invention of smart phones too. "I don't want a touch screen! I NEED KEYS!". That died off when people actually gave it a go.

There are still smaller screens around, look at low end devices. Tiny little things that are barely worth using IMO.

My Galaxy S3 fits in my pocket fine. So I don't know why people complain.

I still want physical keys, that's after I have used an iPhone 3GS, a Samsung Galaxy R, a Nokia Lumia 900 and a Sony Xperia S. The only thing is that nowadays good phones with physical keys are hard to find, and it's kinda bearable to be without physical keys. However it's still quite a pain trying to input long text messages or forum posts on a touch-only phone. Heck, even with my 10" Asus tablet, the speed of text input with touchscreen is still far slower than using an old Nokia E72.

BTW, smartphones were already invented WAY before the popularization of full touchscreen phones.

1) Manufacturers can sell the phone on being bigger thus better.

2) They can more easily fit better hardware in the phone because they have more space. It makes it easier to make more powerful phones without telling you why they really wanted to make the screen bigger.

More like small hand syndrome :p

Galaxy S3 is pretty much the perfect size screen for a smartphone. Just big enough to be perfect for watchign and enjoying movies on when travelling yet thin and small enough to slip into a top pocket.