Case Fans - Fractal vs. Noctua

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:34

I'm in the process of building a storage server and am after some advice on some case fans. Now from reviews around the Internet I've been looking at these two. It's a tie between Fractal Design or Noctua.

My goal is as quiet as possible. From what I've read around, the Fractal is ment to be more silent than the Noctua fans, but I'm after some opinions from Neowin. Has anyone had any experiance with both?
I prefer the look of the Fractal fans, the two tone black and white is very smart looking, but being a server build, visuals are not a concern.

#2 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:44

I'm in the process of building a storage server and am after some advice on some case fans. Now from reviews around the Internet I've been looking at these two. It's a tie between Fractal Design or Noctua.

My goal is as quiet as possible. From what I've read around, the Fractal is ment to be more silent than the Noctua fans, but I'm after some opinions from Neowin. Has anyone had any experiance with both?
I prefer the look of the Fractal fans, the two tone black and white is very smart looking, but being a server build, visuals are not a concern.

I'm running Fractal R2 120mms. They are quiet and do the job. Never ran Noctua so I can't compare.

#3 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:50

I think I have fractal or maybe both, either way I think both are good options, the web shops should have dba levels, there's probably bigger differences between different models than between fractal and noctua. Also remember that at full speed they'll probably be "noisy" anyway.

#4 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:53

I got both. I have experience with the Fractal Design Define R3, Define XL, and the Define R4 as well as every Noctua fan made in the last 5 years (NF-S12, NF-S12B, NF-P12, NF-P12 PWM, NF-F12, etc).

To cut to the point: Go for the new Noctua PWM fans if you want silence.

#5 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:55

I only ever used Noctua. Well, and the other generic ones. If there is a price difference, I'd get the cheaper, as it sounds that both are heavy performers.

Hey, chconline.

#6 +metal_dragen

metal_dragen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:20

I have a Fractal Define R2 with 2 of the Fractal fans and have since added 2 Noctua NF-P12 fans to the chassis. I honesty can't tell the difference in noise between the 2 since my video card makes more noise than the entire rest of the system, even at idle.

Either way you go, you'll get quality silent fans. In my experience, the Fractal's are cheaper, but the Noctua's seem to have a better reputation for silence and reliability/longevity and you'll pay a bit of a premium for that.

#7 minoskid

minoskid

Neowinian

• Phone: QUART QT450

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:36

Go with the Fractal cases.

#8 CronicHazel

CronicHazel

Neowinian

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:27

Go with the Fractal cases.

The guy's asking about fans not cases lol

#9 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2012 - 15:36

two Noctua 120's in my mATX case, been running flawlessly for two and a half years now, very quiet. recommended.