iPad vs MiniNotebook !? Please advise for which one to buy?

depending on what you want to do makes the difference on what to get.

if you want to create anything, get a notebook.

if you want to watch, listen, or read, then the iPad will be fine but limited.

Are you going to be spending a lot of time typing?

Yes
If you're just going to be using it for some light web surfing on the couch, a tablet will suffice.
No, more then light web serving.

But I am concerned about battery usage and how much will it last?

hum ... then it is a mini laptop then :)

^ this. Tablets are really consumption devices.

Yes

No, more then light web serving.

But I am concerned about battery usage and how much will it last?

hum ... then it is a mini laptop then :)

Keep in mind it is possible to get a blue tooth keyboard for the iPad and a word processor also. Battery life will depend on the model you get so nobody can answer that without a real choice given.

^ this. Tablets are really consumption devices.

So are netbooks (mini notebooks). Only difference at this point is one has a mouse and one doesn't.

If you want to be productive, get a netbook (aka - type, run full fledged programs, etc.). If you want a "fun" device, go for a tablet. Granted, you can get bluetooth keyboards for tablets...

Keep in mind it is possible to get a blue tooth keyboard for the iPad and a word processor also. Battery life will depend on the model you get so nobody can answer that without a real choice given.

So are netbooks (mini notebooks). Only difference at this point is one has a mouse and one doesn't.

model of iPad has no effect on battery life, unless you were talking about models of Laptops.

as far as the difference regarding mouse and no mouse. the iPad is very limited as far as programs compared to a Laptop. and when i mean limited, i mean very limited.

Ok, I've made up my mind set on a mini laptop.

what Netbook are you thinking about, personally i would physically go to a store and check them out and then if need be order it online, as some have some very screwed up trackpad / trackpad button placements ( im looking at you HP ) that you may find extremely annoying after a breif period of use ( again im looking at you hp )

*Edit and clarification - i think HP's Netbooks are awesome, just not their trackpads

what Netbook are you thinking about, personally i would physically go to a store and check them out and then if need be order it online, as some have some very screwed up trackpad / trackpad button placements ( im looking at you HP ) that you may find extremely annoying after a breif period of use ( again im looking at you hp )

*Edit and clarification - i think HP's Netbooks are awesome, just not their trackpads

Actually to keep conversation going and organised as possible I've open another topic for laptop models here.

model of iPad has no effect on battery life, unless you were talking about models of Laptops.

as far as the difference regarding mouse and no mouse. the iPad is very limited as far as programs compared to a Laptop. and when i mean limited, i mean very limited.

Yea I was talking laptops on the battery life. My Asus netbook was my favorite and had long battery life but the gateway I had felt like it was empty all the time.

It depends on what you are doing for productivity. The word, excel, and powerpoint apps aren't missing anything in general that would be used for normal use of the programs. All comes back to how any given individual uses it though. Arguing that the net book is better just because its programs have every little feature is a moot point if the given person doesn't use those features.

Yea I was talking laptops on the battery life. My Asus netbook was my favorite and had long battery life but the gateway I had felt like it was empty all the time.

It depends on what you are doing for productivity. The word, excel, and powerpoint apps aren't missing anything in general that would be used for normal use of the programs. All comes back to how any given individual uses it though. Arguing that the net book is better just because its programs have every little feature is a moot point if the given person doesn't use those features.

true, but i have a majority of the " Word " like programs for my iPad including Pages itself, majority are cloud based, with pages hosing up the word conversion and needing proofread on a actually laptop/desktop, the typing on the iPad itself is annoying as sin, when on neowin you can tell when im on the iPad because just about everything is miss typed with letters being misplaced in due to finger hitting wrong key, now the bluetooth keyboard yes will solve that, but IMO if your carrying around an iPad + Bluetooth keyboard, should just ditch both and go for a netbook, cheaper and more productive but not just because of the programs available to each device.

Printing is also an issue, the iPad is naturally compatible with a small handful of printers and you NEED wifi to do anything, cant pull from cloud without wifi, so you will only have access to cached documents, and cant print with no wifi period, if its not an HP you will need an app. Laptop you just plug in the usb cable

imo netbook is just more useful then an iPad as far as a creation device, consumption device is a different story as the iPad has it on size / portability as well as others

I have both a Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book (Mid 2010) and an IPad 3. I like the IPad 3 better because the Dell Net Book only came with 1 GB of RAM and Windows 7 Starter Edition as the OEM Software. Currently Running X86 Windows 8 Professional Edition (Microsoft Tech Net).

I have both a Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book (Mid 2010) and an IPad 3. I like the IPad 3 better because the Dell Net Book only came with 1 GB of RAM and Windows 7 Starter Edition as the OEM Software. Currently Running X86 Windows 8 Professional Edition (Microsoft Tech Net).

But now you can ffind in the market mini laptop up to 4 gb ddr 3 1600 if i am not wrong.

How about an Asus Transformer Pad, it has good keyboard, somewhat cheaper than iPad, can use USB mouse, and as a tablet, you can watch movies and read books comfortably on sofa or bed. The battery lasts quite well too, at least 12 hours non-stop web browsing action with the keyboard dock.(more than iPad I think)

• 3 weeks later...

That is true, I just took a peek at Dell's WIndows 8 Preorder's Available and noticed that you can Pre-Order a Dell Inspiron 15 with a 15.6 Inch Screen, 720P Resolution, Intel I3 Processor, and Windows 8 X64 Edition!

Forgot to mention that it also had 4GB'S DDR 3 RAM.

i have both. I have an ipad and netbook 11inch. I find my self using the ipad more for viewing content. Movies, internet, picture, games, music. But I use my netbook for organizing. Now as for traveling. I travel international several times every few months. I now only travel with the ipad with adapter to charge at any hotel or airport.

For battery life both last around 10 hours each. but the ipad just makes it easier to travel. less weight by far. If you really wanted to get into making documents you can get a small keyboard and app and it still is lighter than a netbook.

Just to let you know that if you decide to take on the netbook, look for one that does not come with Atom processor. Those are freaking slow. You'll be regretting not getting something better.

My best bet is a Celeron or an AMD processor right away, which are common on 11" netbooks. You'll get decent battery life (4~hours) and the keyboard will be big enough to type on it.

I've bought this Acer AspireOne

But mine upgraded to 4 GB ram ddr3 1066 and 1 TB HDD.

Using windows windows 7 home premium 64x, and may upgrade to windows 8 later on.

and bought a nice suite bag for it.

= 405.515 USD

• 2 weeks later...