Longhorn Dual Boot with Suse linux

Ok so I have an hp ZE 4420US laptop updated to 1gig memory.

I Currenly have Suse 8.2 Dual booting with Windows XP Pro using Grub

as the boot manager. My goal is to setup Longhorn 4051 without disrupting

my linux installation. Here's how it went.

First i obtained the iso and patched it to be able to install.

I then Booted my laptop to Windows XP Pro through the option

in grub. After windows loaded i popped the bad ole' 4051 cd into the drive

Started the installer. The option for upgrade was greyed out as stated in the

news on the main page. When asked where to install the full version to i Chose

partition 1. My hard drive is split into an NTFS partition / Swap partition / Linux partition (reiser)

The setup warned that all files in docs and settings would remain however the folders would be renamed to .000

I selected ok. The files needed were copied to the hard drive and the pc needed to be reboot.

Now i thought great windows overwrote my Grub settings and that's all that will boot. To my surprise

The familiar grub GUI booted up i selected windows and voila the windows boot manager was there

this time with the install Longhorn Option. I selected this, after a few second the install began and copied

needed files once again. The timer in the lower left hand corner said will take 15 minutes to install. I thought

to myself "eh that means 4 hrs in MS time." To my surprice 7 mins later it stated windows is now testing hardware etc.

The Unit Reboot. Now it had Longhorn, XP PRO and then Install longhorn. No grub. The unit loaded up the familiar

please wait while windows prepares to start screen (much like when you need to run chkdsk) only in a grey color and black top

with the longhorn name. This process ran for a few minutes then the pc started working hard.. VOila i was at a Longhorn Hardware setup screen with a mouse and cursor, Starting to look more like an os : ) . I sat and watched the animated Hourglass

remniscant of windows 98 for a few minutes every once in a while moving the cursor to make sure it didn't lock up. % minutes later the pc's screen started flashing yet again, Must have been detecting Display and possible settings. I continued to wait patiently for another 4 minutes. Suddenly the screen switched to full screen (1024X768 native), and more than likely 16 colors because the bg image looked horrid and blurry. Another 10 minutes later ** Windows - Delayed Write Failed - WIndows must reboot. The pc reboots and give me the windows boot menu Now only longhorn and xp pro show. Longhorn shows me a nes screen i haven's seent the windows logo and it drops in. WOOHOOO A Desktop Windows Longhorn eval copy BUild4051

.. a few seconds later with nothing on the screen but the wallpaper and build into a Recycle bin icon shows up, still no start menu

It stays this way for a few minutes i press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to see the task manager, A new screen to acces the task manager shows up. There i selected task manager and tapped to the processes menu. Wathcing the process jump from 45 up and down with only ( or so visible i waited) next a big clock poped up on the right of the screen and a taskbar. A new hardware found wizard and a 60 day activation screen popped up. Random hardware is being found and poping up in the lower right corner

Bummer no Nic drivers, but no biggie i can probably find some, it also states new pci modem found. I open up control panel and switch to classic view. Everything works except the nic and modem. I'm not concerned with the latter. I decided to plug a wifi card in to see if it would detect it. No luck. I finaly got the nick working and well all is well. I Simply ran the suse disk and only rewrote the grub boot loader and now it works great. All in All time for an indepth look at the os. But after all this i think i need some food and a nap