GNOME 3.6 released

GNOME 3.6 Released!

gnome-3-6.png

The GNOME Project is proud to present GNOME 3.6, the third update to the 3.x series. This latest version of GNOME 3 includes a number of new features and enhancements, as well as many bug fixes and minor improvements. Together, they represent a significant upgrade to the GNOME 3 user experience.

Andreas Nilsson, President of the GNOME Foundation, said: ?The GNOME Foundation is proud to present this latest GNOME release, and I would like to congratulate the GNOME community on its achievement.? He described the release as ?an important milestone in our mission to bring a free and open computing environment to everyone.?

Highlights for this release include:

• Big improvements to notifications, including a redesigned Message Tray, smarter notifications, and other tweaks and refinements.
  • An enhanced Activities Overview with an improved layout.
  • A greatly enhanced Files application, with functional file search, a new Recent location, redesigned interface and lots of bug fixes and handy new features.
  • Integrated Input Sources, which makes inputting different character sets (eg. Japanese or Chinese) fast and easy.
  • Accessibility on demand, meaning that universal access features like the Orca screen reader can be enabled with the push of a button.
  • A new Lock Screen. This provides an attractive view when the device is locked, plus handy functionality like media controls and notifications.

activities-overview-210x131.png files-recent-210x131.png input-sources-210x131.png

There are many other enhancements in GNOME 3.6, including Online Accounts support for Microsoft Exchange, Facebook and Windows Live, much improved System Settings and a redesigned User Menu. Many GNOME applications have also received improvements, including Web, Empathy, Disk Usage Analyzer, Disks and the Font Viewer. This release also includes the first major release of Boxes, an application for using remote systems and virtual machines, and a development preview of the new Clocks application.

You can read about all the changes included in GNOME 3.6 in the release notes. This latest version represents 6 months of hard work by the GNOME community, an open, international association of individuals and organizations. GNOME works to deliver high-quality user experiences based on Free Software. Development is conducted in the open, and anyone can get involved. If you want to support us, you can become a Friend of GNOME.

Source: GNOME website

View: GNOME 3.6 release notes

• Like 3

I've been using 3.5.x (basically 3.6) in testing Fedora 18 and it finally feels right.Finally a lot of the inconsistencies have been resolved (like the login sceen vs lock screen looking completley different). Built in LDAP support is nice (haven't tested it yet).

Not 100% liking the applications button change, but it's made me realize I can just type what I want (like fi for firefox or ter for terminal) and made things a heck of a lot faster.

Still don't understand why fallback mode has weather in the clock while Gnome 3.x doesn't... even in extensions.

looking good, not sure if i want to go through the hassle of going from Fedora 17 to 18 though so hopefully will be able to install it through yum

That looks a lot like osx. GNOMEs steal more then just underpants....

Through the powerful suggestions of our resident Linux users I have come to accept I'm delusional for seeing many similarities between Gnome 3 and OS X Mountain Lion. You'll have to learn how to deal with the fact you're apparently suffering from the same figments of the imagination as I.

I never thought I'd say this, but ... Gnome 3 actually looks good. It's still nowhere near OS X or Windows 7, but it's a lot better than it use to be. However, that lock screen does look like a rip-off of Windows 8.

Two questions:

1. Is it correct Ubuntu 12.10 beta 2 is being released today?

2. Will I be able to install Gnome 3.6 onto it including Nautilus 3.6?

1. I think it was supposed to be released today, but it's not up yet (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/quantal/)

2. Yes, but not straight from the Ubuntu repos. Eg. you'd have to install nautilus 3.6 from Gnome's PPA.

That looks a lot like osx. GNOMEs steal more then just underpants....

GNOMEs don't steal underpants! They steal socks. Hence the name "Sock Gnomes". ;)

2. Yes, but not straight from the Ubuntu repos. Eg. you'd have to install nautilus 3.6 from Gnome's PPA.

Got it running in a VM with 12.10 (hasn't hit Arch yet and still iffy with BSD) and the Canonical Gnome 3 repos at the moment out of curiosity. Still not my thing still but seems to be a nice update if you're a fan.. like it better than Unity anyway for sure in both looks and functionality, extra credit for no ads in the menus out of the box.

Through the powerful suggestions of our resident Linux users I have come to accept I'm delusional for seeing many similarities between Gnome 3 and OS X Mountain Lion. You'll have to learn how to deal with the fact you're apparently suffering from the same figments of the imagination as I.

I mean, I understand why people would say that, but a menu bar at the top makes it look like OS X, a menu bar at the bottom makes it look like Windows, right? If you look just at a screenshot of the desktop, I could see why you'd say that, but it functions entirely differently. As you can see with Windows 8, you can only deviate from a couple basic UI layouts so much before it just becomes ridiculous. Bar at the top, bar at the bottom, maybe a dock or not. Move the dock to the bottom and it's OS X, put a solid background on the dock and it becomes Unity, put a solid background and move it to the bottom and it becomes Windows 7 Superbar. So you pick bits from whichever of these design elements you like and put it all together and you're going to have similarities. It just seems pointless to continue to say everytime now.

As for my opinion, it looks great. I think I may have to jump over to it from Unity on this computer and try it out. My only point of concern with Gnome's current look is that they seem to be doing the overly smooth and flat UI thing, kind of like a cross between KDE and Metro.... maybe I'm the only one seeing this, but I don't know how much I like it. I think Gnome looks better doing it though, so I'll just have to use it and see what I think.

I mean, I understand why people would say that, but a menu bar at the top makes it look like OS X, a menu bar at the bottom makes it look like Windows, right? If you look just at a screenshot of the desktop, I could see why you'd say that, but it functions entirely differently. As you can see with Windows 8, you can only deviate from a couple basic UI layouts so much before it just becomes ridiculous. Bar at the top, bar at the bottom, maybe a dock or not. Move the dock to the bottom and it's OS X, put a solid background on the dock and it becomes Unity, put a solid background and move it to the bottom and it becomes Windows 7 Superbar. So you pick bits from whichever of these design elements you like and put it all together and you're going to have similarities. It just seems pointless to continue to say everytime now.

Then by your thoughts, Windows is a copy of OS X? I have seen UK versions of Windows where the taskbar/superbar is on top. Add in a dock and you have OS X.

Got it running in a VM with 12.10 (hasn't hit Arch yet and still iffy with BSD) and the Canonical Gnome 3 repos at the moment out of curiosity. Still not my thing still but seems to be a nice update if you're a fan.. like it better than Unity anyway for sure in both looks and functionality, extra credit for no ads in the menus out of the box.

Did you get it through the default Software Center thing in Ubuntu or through other means? If the latter can you explain the steps?

I mean, I understand why people would say that, but a menu bar at the top makes it look like OS X, a menu bar at the bottom makes it look like Windows, right?

It goes much further than that. But let's just drop the subject okay? I wasn't being too serious in my previous post.

How do you install it in Ubuntu 12.04? It seems to just get the 3.42 not 3.6 Gnome Shell. :/

You could either build it from source or wait till it hits the repos.

ever see south park???

South Park? Meh!

South Park? Meh!

what's so meh about south park?

From what I've read, Gnome 3.6 won't be coming to Ubuntu 12.04. It's going to be a 12.10 only thing. Not sure if that's true though.