#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:20

GNOME 3.6 Released!

Posted Image

The GNOME Project is proud to present GNOME 3.6, the third update to the 3.x series. This latest version of GNOME 3 includes a number of new features and enhancements, as well as many bug fixes and minor improvements. Together, they represent a significant upgrade to the GNOME 3 user experience.

Andreas Nilsson, President of the GNOME Foundation, said: “The GNOME Foundation is proud to present this latest GNOME release, and I would like to congratulate the GNOME community on its achievement.” He described the release as “an important milestone in our mission to bring a free and open computing environment to everyone.”

Highlights for this release include:
  • Big improvements to notifications, including a redesigned Message Tray, smarter notifications, and other tweaks and refinements.
  • An enhanced Activities Overview with an improved layout.
  • A greatly enhanced Files application, with functional file search, a new Recent location, redesigned interface and lots of bug fixes and handy new features.
  • Integrated Input Sources, which makes inputting different character sets (eg. Japanese or Chinese) fast and easy.
  • Accessibility on demand, meaning that universal access features like the Orca screen reader can be enabled with the push of a button.
  • A new Lock Screen. This provides an attractive view when the device is locked, plus handy functionality like media controls and notifications.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

There are many other enhancements in GNOME 3.6, including Online Accounts support for Microsoft Exchange, Facebook and Windows Live, much improved System Settings and a redesigned User Menu. Many GNOME applications have also received improvements, including Web, Empathy, Disk Usage Analyzer, Disks and the Font Viewer. This release also includes the first major release of Boxes, an application for using remote systems and virtual machines, and a development preview of the new Clocks application.

You can read about all the changes included in GNOME 3.6 in the release notes. This latest version represents 6 months of hard work by the GNOME community, an open, international association of individuals and organizations. GNOME works to deliver high-quality user experiences based on Free Software. Development is conducted in the open, and anyone can get involved. If you want to support us, you can become a Friend of GNOME.

Source: GNOME website
View: GNOME 3.6 release notes

#2 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:24

That actually looks Pretty nice :o

#3 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:59

It does, hopefully online accounts improve because i feel they are pretty pointless right now

#4 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 13:05

I've been using 3.5.x (basically 3.6) in testing Fedora 18 and it finally feels right.Finally a lot of the inconsistencies have been resolved (like the login sceen vs lock screen looking completley different). Built in LDAP support is nice (haven't tested it yet).
Not 100% liking the applications button change, but it's made me realize I can just type what I want (like fi for firefox or ter for terminal) and made things a heck of a lot faster.

Still don't understand why fallback mode has weather in the clock while Gnome 3.x doesn't... even in extensions.

#5 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 27 September 2012 - 13:33

Still don't understand why fallback mode has weather in the clock while Gnome 3.x doesn't... even in extensions.

You can in fact get the weather in Gnome 3 through extensions.

http://www.webupd8.o...ns-weather.html

#6 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 27 September 2012 - 13:39

The lock screen looks works like Windows 8's.

users-lock-screen.png

users-login-screen.png

#7 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 27 September 2012 - 13:42

looking good, not sure if i want to go through the hassle of going from Fedora 17 to 18 though so hopefully will be able to install it through yum

#8 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 27 September 2012 - 13:46

That looks a lot like osx. GNOMEs steal more then just underpants....

#9 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 27 September 2012 - 13:53

That looks a lot like osx. GNOMEs steal more then just underpants....

Through the powerful suggestions of our resident Linux users I have come to accept I'm delusional for seeing many similarities between Gnome 3 and OS X Mountain Lion. You'll have to learn how to deal with the fact you're apparently suffering from the same figments of the imagination as I.

#10 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 27 September 2012 - 13:54

and I shall edit my post contents too

#11 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 27 September 2012 - 13:57

I never thought I'd say this, but ... Gnome 3 actually looks good. It's still nowhere near OS X or Windows 7, but it's a lot better than it use to be. However, that lock screen does look like a rip-off of Windows 8.

#12 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:00

What's the point of a lock screen that you have to unlock just to see another lock screen where you can actually login?

#13 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:15

Two questions:
1. Is it correct Ubuntu 12.10 beta 2 is being released today?
2. Will I be able to install Gnome 3.6 onto it including Nautilus 3.6?

#14 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:53

Two questions:
1. Is it correct Ubuntu 12.10 beta 2 is being released today?
2. Will I be able to install Gnome 3.6 onto it including Nautilus 3.6?

1. I think it was supposed to be released today, but it's not up yet (http://cdimage.ubunt...leases/quantal/)
2. Yes, but not straight from the Ubuntu repos. Eg. you'd have to install nautilus 3.6 from Gnome's PPA.

#15 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:02

2. Yes, but not straight from the Ubuntu repos. Eg. you'd have to install nautilus 3.6 from Gnome's PPA.

How does one go about that?