GNOME 3.6 released

Did you get it through the default Software Center thing in Ubuntu or through other means? If the latter can you explain the steps?

Basically just added "ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3" to the software sources list and installed Gnome Shell, told it to use GDM instead of LightDM when prompted. I don't normally use Ubuntu either, this is just idle curiosity as I wait for it to hit my usual distro, so might be a more recommended way, IE didn't care if I kersplode the VM or not. It seems that this repo only supports 12.10 for 3.6, 12.04 is at 3.4 still for a few missing bits not in the default Canonical repo.

what's so meh about south park?

South Park really? It's a waste of tv time.

From what I've read, Gnome 3.6 won't be coming to Ubuntu 12.04. It's going to be a 12.10 only thing. Not sure if that's true though.

I am not sure. *buntus aren't my thing. I use Fedora. But if you want 3.6, just build it from source. Canonical doesn't know what's good for it's users.

When I got to extensions.gnome.org and search weather, nothing appears.

From what that web page says (and I've seen it before), you have to add another repository to add weather functions. That's not really part of the point is it?

It fixes your issue of not having a weather extension doesn't it? So until they add it officially you at least have this solution.

That looks a lot like osx. GNOMEs steal more then just underpants....

Some of that is in how they design features. Look at this one for redesigning the video app in 3.8 https://live.gnome.o...ign/Apps/Videos

Under Relevant Art, they have screenshots from iOS, VLC on iOS, Youtube on iOS, Webkitgtk+, Android (very old version IMO), and WebOS.

It fixes your issue of not having a weather extension doesn't it? So until they add it officially you at least have this solution.

I run Fedora. I'll see if there is a way to add it, but I still don't understand why it isn't in extensions.gnome.org. Seems odd.

Edit: Odder still, the mediaplayer one is in there (extensions.gnome.org), and I use it already O_o

Then by your thoughts, Windows is a copy of OS X? I have seen UK versions of Windows where the taskbar/superbar is on top. Add in a dock and you have OS X.

No, that's the exact opposite of my point. My point is that there are only a couple of different configurations I'd even want my desktop to look like. They all look similar to an extent, but so what? We've seen what trying to be different did for Windows 8. I'm not arguing against anyone or picking sides, I think it just shows refinement to a point where we've figured out what works in a desktop UI, and everyone has their little spin on it, but you can point out similarities in any of them. I even think it's a good example of where technology patents haven't destroyed the ability for healthy competition and improvement all around for all parties.

.Neo, thanks where thanks is due! It is installed and configured and I'm happy. :)

My previous experience on 3.2 or early 3.4 was not as positive.

For anyone that wants to try it, a

sudo yum install gnome-shell-extension-weather gnome-tweak-tool

Should get you started. Then reload Gnome (ALT+F2, r, enter) and open Gnome-Tweak-Tool (called "Advanced Settings") > Extensions to enable the weather extension.

No, that's the exact opposite of my point. My point is that there are only a couple of different configurations I'd even want my desktop to look like. They all look similar to an extent, but so what? We've seen what trying to be different did for Windows 8. I'm not arguing against anyone or picking sides, I think it just shows refinement to a point where we've figured out what works in a desktop UI, and everyone has their little spin on it, but you can point out similarities in any of them. I even think it's a good example of where technology patents haven't destroyed the ability for healthy competition and improvement all around for all parties.

Ok. My bad then.

What's the point of a lock screen that you have to unlock just to see another lock screen where you can actually login?

The new lock screen can show information like unread notifications and the currently playing song. All you have to do is hit escape, enter, or click anywhere to instantly get the unlock password prompt.

The new lock screen can show information like unread notifications and the currently playing song. All you have to do is hit escape, enter, or click anywhere to instantly get the unlock password prompt.

But you could show that same information in the login screen. There's plenty of empty space in lightdm (and it could be arranged the same way in GDM).

But you could show that same information in the login screen. There's plenty of empty space in lightdm (and it could be arranged the same way in GDM).

Not much to bring against that. Of course people will regardless. :laugh:

Personally I think it makes sense the way it is, separate the pretty display stuff, like the clock notifications, media controls from the actual login prompt.

that's a nice desktop. I just wish vendors and software makers would get on board with linux... I love linux but am stuck with windows for my canon EOS 5D MarkII

GNOME 3.6 can GTFO...

Ugh... Anyone else thinking that they should take some inspiration from GNOME 2 again?

*sigh*

Gala (elementary os Luna) is what I call impressive...

Wait, what? Arch is meant to be 'bleeding edge' yet is still on gnome 3.4... It's been overtaken by FEDORA!? What is this!

ROFL really?

This is madness :laugh:

Damn you Fedora... Step it down and let Arch catch up... I'm worried about the space-time continuum :|

Glassed Silver:mac

Wait, what? Arch is meant to be 'bleeding edge' yet is still on gnome 3.4... It's been overtaken by FEDORA!? What is this!

Fedora 18 is still in alpha. Arch is "bleeding edge" but the packages still need testing before hitting core/extra. A major release like gnome or kde generally takes at least a week (or more) to get to the arch repos.

Anyone else thinking that they should take some inspiration from GNOME 2 again?

If you're into Gnome 2 you could always take a look at Cinnamon. Not a fan of Gnome in general myself but it's a fork of Gnome Shell that feels like Gnome 2, adds some new features (without Gnome 3's WTF factor), new menu, etc.

If you're into Gnome 2 you could always take a look at Cinnamon. Not a fan of Gnome in general myself but it's a fork of Gnome Shell that feels like Gnome 2, adds some new features (without Gnome 3's WTF factor), new menu, etc.

I know about Cinnamon, I considered it, but I'm still on Ubuntu 12.04 and THAT I actually like, because it at least still has got Close, Maximize and Minimize LOL

Glassed Silver:mac

the next version of gnome in order to close you gotta make wiggly pattern shaped like a wiggly cat on a hot corner.

the next version of gnome in order to close you gotta make wiggly pattern shaped like a wiggly cat on a hot corner.

What, you're kidding right?

And why do people associate cinnamin with gnome2? MATE is the gnome2 continuation, cinnamin is some gnome3 thing.