GNOME 3.6 released

gnome 3.6 final linux *nix

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:06

That looks a lot like osx. GNOMEs steal more then just underpants....

GNOMEs don't steal underpants! They steal socks. Hence the name "Sock Gnomes". ;)

#17 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:07

2. Yes, but not straight from the Ubuntu repos. Eg. you'd have to install nautilus 3.6 from Gnome's PPA.

Got it running in a VM with 12.10 (hasn't hit Arch yet and still iffy with BSD) and the Canonical Gnome 3 repos at the moment out of curiosity. Still not my thing still but seems to be a nice update if you're a fan.. like it better than Unity anyway for sure in both looks and functionality, extra credit for no ads in the menus out of the box.

#18 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:08

Through the powerful suggestions of our resident Linux users I have come to accept I'm delusional for seeing many similarities between Gnome 3 and OS X Mountain Lion. You'll have to learn how to deal with the fact you're apparently suffering from the same figments of the imagination as I.

I mean, I understand why people would say that, but a menu bar at the top makes it look like OS X, a menu bar at the bottom makes it look like Windows, right? If you look just at a screenshot of the desktop, I could see why you'd say that, but it functions entirely differently. As you can see with Windows 8, you can only deviate from a couple basic UI layouts so much before it just becomes ridiculous. Bar at the top, bar at the bottom, maybe a dock or not. Move the dock to the bottom and it's OS X, put a solid background on the dock and it becomes Unity, put a solid background and move it to the bottom and it becomes Windows 7 Superbar. So you pick bits from whichever of these design elements you like and put it all together and you're going to have similarities. It just seems pointless to continue to say everytime now.

As for my opinion, it looks great. I think I may have to jump over to it from Unity on this computer and try it out. My only point of concern with Gnome's current look is that they seem to be doing the overly smooth and flat UI thing, kind of like a cross between KDE and Metro.... maybe I'm the only one seeing this, but I don't know how much I like it. I think Gnome looks better doing it though, so I'll just have to use it and see what I think.

#19 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:11

I mean, I understand why people would say that, but a menu bar at the top makes it look like OS X, a menu bar at the bottom makes it look like Windows, right? If you look just at a screenshot of the desktop, I could see why you'd say that, but it functions entirely differently. As you can see with Windows 8, you can only deviate from a couple basic UI layouts so much before it just becomes ridiculous. Bar at the top, bar at the bottom, maybe a dock or not. Move the dock to the bottom and it's OS X, put a solid background on the dock and it becomes Unity, put a solid background and move it to the bottom and it becomes Windows 7 Superbar. So you pick bits from whichever of these design elements you like and put it all together and you're going to have similarities. It just seems pointless to continue to say everytime now.

Then by your thoughts, Windows is a copy of OS X? I have seen UK versions of Windows where the taskbar/superbar is on top. Add in a dock and you have OS X.

#20 The Watcher

The Watcher

Ooga Chaka Ooga Ooga.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:11

How do you install it in Ubuntu 12.04? It seems to just get the 3.42 not 3.6 Gnome Shell. :/

#21 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:12

GNOMEs don't steal underpants! They steal socks. Hence the name "Sock Gnomes". ;)

ever see south park???

#22 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:12

Got it running in a VM with 12.10 (hasn't hit Arch yet and still iffy with BSD) and the Canonical Gnome 3 repos at the moment out of curiosity. Still not my thing still but seems to be a nice update if you're a fan.. like it better than Unity anyway for sure in both looks and functionality, extra credit for no ads in the menus out of the box.

Did you get it through the default Software Center thing in Ubuntu or through other means? If the latter can you explain the steps?

I mean, I understand why people would say that, but a menu bar at the top makes it look like OS X, a menu bar at the bottom makes it look like Windows, right?

It goes much further than that. But let's just drop the subject okay? I wasn't being too serious in my previous post.

#23 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:14

How do you install it in Ubuntu 12.04? It seems to just get the 3.42 not 3.6 Gnome Shell. :/

You could either build it from source or wait till it hits the repos.

ever see south park???

South Park? Meh!

#24 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:15

South Park? Meh!

what's so meh about south park?

#25 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:15

From what I've read, Gnome 3.6 won't be coming to Ubuntu 12.04. It's going to be a 12.10 only thing. Not sure if that's true though.

#26 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:17

Did you get it through the default Software Center thing in Ubuntu or through other means? If the latter can you explain the steps?

Basically just added "ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3" to the software sources list and installed Gnome Shell, told it to use GDM instead of LightDM when prompted. I don't normally use Ubuntu either, this is just idle curiosity as I wait for it to hit my usual distro, so might be a more recommended way, IE didn't care if I kersplode the VM or not. It seems that this repo only supports 12.10 for 3.6, 12.04 is at 3.4 still for a few missing bits not in the default Canonical repo.

#27 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:18

You can in fact get the weather in Gnome 3 through extensions.

http://www.webupd8.o...ns-weather.html

When I got to extensions.gnome.org and search weather, nothing appears.
From what that web page says (and I've seen it before), you have to add another repository to add weather functions. That's not really part of the point is it?

#28 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:18

what's so meh about south park?

South Park really? It's a waste of tv time.

From what I've read, Gnome 3.6 won't be coming to Ubuntu 12.04. It's going to be a 12.10 only thing. Not sure if that's true though.

I am not sure. *buntus aren't my thing. I use Fedora. But if you want 3.6, just build it from source. Canonical doesn't know what's good for it's users.

#29 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:20

When I got to extensions.gnome.org and search weather, nothing appears.
From what that web page says (and I've seen it before), you have to add another repository to add weather functions. That's not really part of the point is it?

It fixes your issue of not having a weather extension doesn't it? So until they add it officially you at least have this solution.

#30 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:24

That looks a lot like osx. GNOMEs steal more then just underpants....

Some of that is in how they design features. Look at this one for redesigning the video app in 3.8 https://live.gnome.o...ign/Apps/Videos
Under Relevant Art, they have screenshots from iOS, VLC on iOS, Youtube on iOS, Webkitgtk+, Android (very old version IMO), and WebOS.

It fixes your issue of not having a weather extension doesn't it? So until they add it officially you at least have this solution.

I run Fedora. I'll see if there is a way to add it, but I still don't understand why it isn't in extensions.gnome.org. Seems odd.
Edit: Odder still, the mediaplayer one is in there (extensions.gnome.org), and I use it already O_o