gnome 3.6 final linux *nix

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:27

Then by your thoughts, Windows is a copy of OS X? I have seen UK versions of Windows where the taskbar/superbar is on top. Add in a dock and you have OS X.

No, that's the exact opposite of my point. My point is that there are only a couple of different configurations I'd even want my desktop to look like. They all look similar to an extent, but so what? We've seen what trying to be different did for Windows 8. I'm not arguing against anyone or picking sides, I think it just shows refinement to a point where we've figured out what works in a desktop UI, and everyone has their little spin on it, but you can point out similarities in any of them. I even think it's a good example of where technology patents haven't destroyed the ability for healthy competition and improvement all around for all parties.

#32 vincent

vincent

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:29

Looks better and more functional than that stupid Unity crap

#33 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:42

.Neo, thanks where thanks is due! It is installed and configured and I'm happy. :)
My previous experience on 3.2 or early 3.4 was not as positive.

For anyone that wants to try it, a
sudo yum install gnome-shell-extension-weather gnome-tweak-tool
Should get you started. Then reload Gnome (ALT+F2, r, enter) and open Gnome-Tweak-Tool (called "Advanced Settings") > Extensions to enable the weather extension.

#34 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:43

No, that's the exact opposite of my point. My point is that there are only a couple of different configurations I'd even want my desktop to look like. They all look similar to an extent, but so what? We've seen what trying to be different did for Windows 8. I'm not arguing against anyone or picking sides, I think it just shows refinement to a point where we've figured out what works in a desktop UI, and everyone has their little spin on it, but you can point out similarities in any of them. I even think it's a good example of where technology patents haven't destroyed the ability for healthy competition and improvement all around for all parties.

Ok. My bad then.

#35 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:46

.Neo, thanks where thanks is due! It is installed and configured and I'm happy. :)

You're welcome.

#36 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 September 2012 - 16:47

What's the point of a lock screen that you have to unlock just to see another lock screen where you can actually login?

The new lock screen can show information like unread notifications and the currently playing song. All you have to do is hit escape, enter, or click anywhere to instantly get the unlock password prompt.

#37 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 September 2012 - 18:29

The new lock screen can show information like unread notifications and the currently playing song. All you have to do is hit escape, enter, or click anywhere to instantly get the unlock password prompt.

But you could show that same information in the login screen. There's plenty of empty space in lightdm (and it could be arranged the same way in GDM).

#38 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 27 September 2012 - 18:36

But you could show that same information in the login screen. There's plenty of empty space in lightdm (and it could be arranged the same way in GDM).

Not much to bring against that. Of course people will regardless. :laugh:

#39 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 19:42

Personally I think it makes sense the way it is, separate the pretty display stuff, like the clock notifications, media controls from the actual login prompt.

#40 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 27 September 2012 - 23:29

Nautilus 3.6 isn't part of Ubuntu 12.10. Is there still a way to install it? Nothing comes up when googling.

#41 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 28 September 2012 - 00:33

Nautilus 3.6 isn't part of Ubuntu 12.10. Is there still a way to install it? Nothing comes up when googling.

According webup8 you have to add the Gnome PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

#42 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 September 2012 - 00:45

that's a nice desktop. I just wish vendors and software makers would get on board with linux... I love linux but am stuck with windows for my canon EOS 5D MarkII

#43 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:02

Wait, what? Arch is meant to be 'bleeding edge' yet is still on gnome 3.4... It's been overtaken by FEDORA!? What is this!

#44 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:08

GNOME 3.6 can GTFO...

Ugh... Anyone else thinking that they should take some inspiration from GNOME 2 again?
*sigh*

Gala (elementary os Luna) is what I call impressive...

Wait, what? Arch is meant to be 'bleeding edge' yet is still on gnome 3.4... It's been overtaken by FEDORA!? What is this!

ROFL really?
This is madness :laugh:

Damn you Fedora... Step it down and let Arch catch up... I'm worried about the space-time continuum :|

Glassed Silver:mac

#45 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:12

Fedora 18 is still in alpha. Arch is "bleeding edge" but the packages still need testing before hitting core/extra. A major release like gnome or kde generally takes at least a week (or more) to get to the arch repos.