Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note 2

Hi

I'm in the market for a new phone. I was considering:

* iPhone 5

* Galaxy S3

* Galaxy Note 2

With the dull release of the iPhone5 and a few other reasons, I am now just focussing on staying with Android, and either the GS3 or Note 2.

In pretty much every single way, I find myself drawn towards the Note 2. It outclasses the S3 in a few areas, and I can quite hapilly deal with it's increased form factor - I see it as a plus for me.

HOWEVER...

The Galaxy S3 features a technology called MirrorLink - it allows certain smartphones (Android and WP7/8) to mirror their screen on in-car touch-screens. I have such a car stereo. Samsung apply this both via hardware as well as an app called DriveLink.

There is no word as to whether the Note 2 supports this also. Samsung state "it is on the S3 and will be on other handsets soon"...

Hmmmm, I have tried to email Samsung to ask, but no joy.

I don't suppose there is any other way to find out?

I'm not sure about the MirrorLink question, but I have the S3 and a work colleague bought the Note a couple of days later (in an attempt to cast a shadow over my nice new toy). Sure enough, a couple of days after that he handed it back to the shop, he found it too large to be considered a useful phone.

Anyway, I'm throwing a vote to the S3. And you can be sure that the MirrorLink technology will be there.

I would go to the Note II. I have the Note I and the size is not an issue after the first couple of days. In fact, its becomes an advantage in terms of typing speed/accuracy as soon as you get used to it compared to a smaller phone.

Cheers for the replies...

Anyone saying "Get the S3, it's great" - yes I know it is, but the Note 2 is faster - just a bigger faster S3. But My question remains, can I support Mirrorlink - I can't work out how to find out! :)

No desire to switch to WP8 (I kinda like WP8 but I do not like it enough to switch. Also why must people always advocate their 3rd option out of the two clear choices given).

• 2 weeks later...

Note 2 should have that same nifty stylus that the original Note has, something the GS3 is lacking.

If you value that, you should go for the note!

A little too large for my tastes, but it's definitely great if you are fine with the size.

Does the note 2 have the same features like the s3 such as smart stay eye tracking and records video and takes pictures at the same time?

Yes it does, and more. The dual screen isn't amazingly intuitive, but there's a few times already that it's been really handy.

Note 2 should have that same nifty stylus that the original Note has, something the GS3 is lacking.

It does, and I use it A LOT.

A little too large for my tastes, but it's definitely great if you are fine with the size.

I got used to it within about a day Now my GS2 feels tiny!

I think you made a good choice going with the Note 2. While the GS3 is indeed fast, the screen quality is terrible and the chassis is very cheaply made. I have one laying at home and I was very unimpressed with it. I haven't played with the Note 2 yet, but it wouldn't take much to beat the S3.

The Note II may be bigger and faster but it has some huge trade-offs. For one it is essentially impossible to use one-handed, and because it's so large and Samsung continues to use ###### plastic, it's much more likely to slip out of your hand. The keyboard is absolutely atrocious despite its size, and handwriting recognition only goes so far.

You will almost certainly be inconvenienced by the size of the Note II, and for an extra 0.2 GHz in processor speed it's just not worth it unless you are specifically after the S-Pen/S-Note features.

BTW these opinions come from someone who has used both for reviews (I currently have a Note II so look out for a full review shortly)

I was looking at getting at the Note. The size scared me off and on AT&T atleast they only have the dark color. Not the white. So Im probably getting the S3. Besides I have a iPad 3.

I got the Note 2 and am loving it. It's rocket fast, I mean really blisteringly so. I do have a few issues however:

1) TouchWiz - I PERSONALLY hate touchwiz, it ruins android, making 4.1 look like 3.2

2) ROM support - currently not found a decent AOKP rom for it yet that supports the pen

3) Pen - The case I use has a magnetic lock, which affects the pen. That said, I barely use the pen

Overall, I love it though! The size is NOT an issue. Everyone who had held it has said things along the lines of "Wow, it's actually really comfortable".

Let me address the below comments:

The Note II may be bigger and faster but it has some huge trade-offs. For one it is essentially impossible to use one-handed, and because it's so large and Samsung continues to use ****ty plastic, it's much more likely to slip out of your hand. The keyboard is absolutely atrocious despite its size, and handwriting recognition only goes so far.

You will almost certainly be inconvenienced by the size of the Note II, and for an extra 0.2 GHz in processor speed it's just not worth it unless you are specifically after the S-Pen/S-Note features.

I use it one handed all the time. Moreover, there is a keyboard option to shift it over to a more "thumb accessible" mode for people with girly baby hands ;)

It is plastic, yes. And crap plastic at that. But I NEVER use a phone outside of a case anyway, so it bothers me very little.

The handwriting recognition has blown me away, how it reads my hasty scrawl is beyond me, but it does.

But yes, the stock keyboard (part of TouchWiz?) Is crap