"Podcasts" has ruined my life

Question

The official Podcasts app that is no longer optional as of iOS 6 has ruined my life, as listening to podcasts is probably the thing I do most often on my iPhone. Its couple benefits (namely, view by album artwork and automatic downloading) are more than offset by its insufferable downsides. It fails to sync properly with iTunes (leaving behind empty podcasts or episodes I've seen already), often forgets the playback position so I have to laboriously find it manually, and jumbling the file order of custom podcasts into an incomprehensible mess, rendering what was once a simple process that I never had to think much about (except periodically manually syncing) into an unmanageable nightmare.

Spring forth, mighty Neowin, and save me!

6 answers to this question

The app is just horrible...

Guess we all need to wait for the next update or so... :/

I had other problems, on the initial release, but those were apparently fixed in this release, haven't bothered checking back so far. :p

Glassed Silver:mac

The original, pre-iOS 6 release was also bad, but I never actually spent enough time with it to grasp how bad it truly was. And now I no longer have the option to say no thank you. Seriously Apple, wtf is this? The app is clearly not ready for primetime, why would you force it upon us like this?

Maybe someone is working on a jailbroken iOS 6 that restores previous iPod app functionality?

Downcast or Pocket Casts are your best friends.

I can't understand why Apple didn't try to replicate how "Pocket Casts" works... This app is simple, yet powerful and beautiful...

Downcast isn't as beautiful, but is way more powerful/customizable. (Auto-download, podcasts/play position synchronization between iOS devices, etc.)

"Podcasts" is a disgrace... Next time Apple, I suggest you put less effort on the "bling bling / eye candy", and better efforts in the functionalities...

Downcast

306f8ce4-de06-e011-aa71-0200d897d049_4_full.png

Pocket Casts

mzl.ldcvgqpd.jpg

Pocket Casts has a beautiful "Artwork view" for podcasts, Downcast is more "classic" (list of podcasts with a small artwork thumbnail).

Both apps are great. Personaly I use Downcast, but I've been using Pocket Casts for a very long time too. Give it a try, there's a "lite" version for Pocket Casts, and both apps aren't very expensive

Some other good "podcasts" apps you may want to take a look at: Instacast, iCatcher! and Podcaster

Third party podcast apps are worth sh*t if you want or need the iTunes synch, so I'll pass (and OP probably, too as it's part of his rant).

Third party podcast apps are worth sh*t if you want or need the iTunes synch, so I'll pass (and OP probably, too as it's part of his rant).

Downcast syncs between devices, so the only thing you miss out on over using iTunes is having the podcast on your computer. That could be a deal breaker for some.

myxomatosis,

Not only do I also recommend Downcast, but you have good taste in podcasts. I have both those shows on my phone right now.

I prefer iCatcher,

It has iTunes file sharing but I don't know how that works as I only listen to podcasts on my phone.

I try to avoid iTunes as much as I can as on Windows it's just not very good.