• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 OP MikroMan

MikroMan

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:10

So, my current possible choices are:
Amd Athlon 3000+ , Socket 939 @1,8 GHz and 85W TDp
Amd Sempron, Socket 939 @2,0 GHz and 62W TDP (not yet sure, don't know if it has a cooler)
Intel Celeron D 335 (I think), socket 478 @ 2,8 GHz and 85W TDP.

I guess with underclocking I could get smaller power consumption? How would be the best way to approach this, as I haven't done it before?

#17 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:25

I'd go with FreeNAS 8.2 on cheap hardware, make sure you get 4GB Ram + and spend the rest on disks and enjoy the benefits of ZFS and FreeNAS. Of course if you wanted other functionality later in the form of windows only services then don't.

Of course through if you have WS 2012 then you can make use of the new storage spaces for redundancy etc.

#18 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:39

hmmm i never considered this

i have an old Athlon 3600+ with 4gb ram sitting in the house

i know what i am doing when i get home lol

#19 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:50

You can underclock using things like the generic P4 filters (in linux) or get say an ASUS board with EPU (only if you're running windows) which will allow you to greatly underclock everything on the system much better than just a P4 filter in linux would.
But you won't find any ASUS MBs with EPU for 478, it's the core 2 duo boards like P5Q-Deluxe, P5Q-Turbo, etc.

#20 Pygmy_Hippo

Pygmy_Hippo

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:10

I'm using the Asus E35M1-M with integrated dual-core cpu (amd zacate) in my home server. It's UEFI so will boot off 2.2tb+ hdd's, has 5 SATA ports, PCI-e if you need it and very frugal on the electricity, I'd certainly recommend it :)

http://www.google.co...ved=0CCgQ8wIwAg

#21 OP MikroMan

MikroMan

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:10

Which means I probably won't be doing much underclocking... I guess I'll just go with Sempron if I can get it and my existing MB, and then upgrade the whole thing if necessary due to power consumption or the need for more computing power.

#22 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 October 2012 - 14:08

If you already haven't, look into the benefits of ZFS on FreeNAS. also FreeNAS 8.2+ allows plugins to be used, there is already plenty to choose from but just in the box you get SMB, AFP, iSCSI, NFS, FTP, SSH, AD, LDAP, TFTP along with lots of other clever bits.

Attached Images

• Untitled.png

#23 OP MikroMan

MikroMan

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 14:15

Yeah, I've installed Freenas 8 on one of the testing PCs just to see how it all worked and to ''get the feeling for it''. What kind of additional plugins can you install anyway? I didn't really find many, just the torrent client.

#24 OP MikroMan

MikroMan

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:25

My current idea is to go with the hardware that I got at home and wait for more funds to buy some quality components. What would be the easiest way to migrate the server to new hardware, complete reinstall and file system rebuild or are there better solutions?

#25 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:40

Depends on your OS really.
Linux you could just copy the configs over or maybe move the whole drive over and just rebuild the initrd (depends on setup and what distro), but for windows you'll need an entire reinstall on the new hardware unless the new server has the same CPU type and chipset.

#26 OP MikroMan

MikroMan

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:03

Yeah, knew that about Windows. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with Linux, still choosing between full blown Ubuntu server and some NAS solution.