Why are PS3's so cheap.

Hey guys... Very long time since I have posted so.. HAI!!!

Since when did PS3's get so cheap... I'm after a blu-ray player now me and my housemate have moved in together and ?90? The hell! Was expecting ?150 mark at least...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-PLAYSTATION-3-40GB-PIANO-BLACK-CONSOLE-ONLY-AL-BARGAIN-PS3-CECH-G03-4-00-/280979414264?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item416bad9cf8#ht_2016wt_1397

Nicholas-c

I think the "fat" consoles are so cheap now due to the demand for the slim and 360's also the price of Blu Ray players has drastically fallen. You also need to take into account the fact that this is an ageing console, won't be long now till the next gen is out :)

• Like 1

Yeah, Its ?90... I have a million HDMI and kettle power leads around, Pretty sure I have a PS3 controller somewhere at my mums house along side a 750gb HDD... Primarily I want it for media so... Why not? Oh. And little big planet... It was just good fun :p

Was just curious why they are so cheap lol

Those fats are prone to problems. I had the exact model and its blu ray drive packed up after playing a game (CD was new/no marks or residue). If you get problemwired its out of warranty then Sony will replace it for ?100 with a like for like replacement (another phat).

I would get a slim instead as they offer better reliability.

• 3 weeks later...

The fat PS3's are destined to die. They will all overheat and get the YLOD eventually. Quite frankly I don't think that's cheap. I bought a 40GB PS3 two years ago with a broken disc drive for $120.

With next gen consoles on the horizon, there probably trying to get more sales with there non slim models(which are more than likely cheap(er) to make). Also could have something to do with developers not liking the PS3 :/, which is def hurting Sony's bottom line. Some dev's probably have early ps4 prototypes, and sony is trying to get more people on board by selling cheap PS3's hoping people will be more suseptiable to upgrading to the PS4.

With next gen consoles on the horizon, there probably trying to get more sales with there non slim models(which are more than likely cheap(er) to make). Also could have something to do with developers not liking the PS3 :/, which is def hurting Sony's bottom line. Some dev's probably have early ps4 prototypes, and sony is trying to get more people on board by selling cheap PS3's hoping people will be more suseptiable to upgrading to the PS4.

Good - let the pricing continue to fall.

The interest *I* would have in a PS3 (or XB360) is for the crossover F2P titles and exclusives (example - DC Universe Online for PS3, as I already am a Premium member on PC) - not next-gen stuff.

subjective opinion :p

Very true. If you've played nothing but PS3 you'll think it's killer. PC gaming is light-years ahead of this ageing hardware.

I sold a Launch model yesterday (just the main unit) for ?152.99 inc. postage. It did have a 250GB HDD and was still on 3.50fw though.

Not all of the fat consoles fail. My 60GB launch console is still going strong and i pretty much use it daily. I haven't even bothered to open it up and clean the fans or whatever some people do to do keep theirs going.

they actually lose money for every system built. they slowly make that money back from the games for being 60 bucks a pop

That was true for the fat models cause they were the most costly to make and yes back then they had profit from games and peripherals.Since Slim this has changed.

The old "fat" models could get the ylod. It depends what type of thermal paste it has on it.

Essentially the some the ps3's thermal paste dries out, then it starts to over heat, then it starts to de-soder the connection on the cpu/gpu.

I've pre-emptively cleaned out the old thermal paste (which was dried out and partially pushed to the side), and replaced with Artic Silver 5 thermal paste 60gb PS3 model.

I've also replaced my 60gb ps3 power supply with the 40gb ps3 power supply (less wattage / heat generation).