• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#46 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 September 2012 - 15:32

Why don't you try installing it like I did and stated already, states the program is only good for 30 days then purchase is needed.

ah, thank you for correcting me, i just woke up and hadn't gotten around to trying it out yet

#47 TheMarine

TheMarine

Neowinian

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:59

I have been using Classic Start Menu 3.6.1 since day one, like it, and it boots into metro for one second, then to desktop. Use the windows key to toggle back and forth. Google it - and it's totally free, no beta.

#48 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:45

As a long time user of Windows and some of startdocks free software I see no reason to charge for this, plain and simple. Its replacing a small albeit handy feature of Windows that was removed. I see no reason to charge for this, yet to keep things like Object Dock free. With iOS I have no alternative but to purchase software even if it is for replacing basic functionality of some things. Its the App Ecosystem. As far as PC goes, for years developers have offered free small tools like Start8 and Object dock as carrots to get you interested in their other more meaty products. Should i have to PAY for an app that gives me a shutdown button? My opinion, no. I realize that there is talent and work that goes into creating some of these applications but for small things like object dock and start8 they definitely aren't breaking the bank. Free alternatives prove that.

Then suck it up and just use the free alternatives. It doesn't matter if it's simple, complex. or dogshit when it comes to what it intends to do. If I develop a fart app that does fart and charge $15 for it, it's my choice. It's up to the people whether they want to pay for my fart app or not.

#49 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:21

$5 is seriously hardly anything. I switched over to Windows 8 yesterday on my primary desktop and purchased Start8. Windows 8 is unusable without Start8 for me.

But IMO they should offer a discounted pack or something for people with multiple computers.

#50 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:25

Wow all this outrage over 5 bucks? Damn you're a tough bunch.

You realize for $5 you can install it on as many machines as you have as long as it's for non-commercial use. So it's really worth it from that perspective. Like it or not someone has to pay the devs for their work, this is on a much higher level than classic shell. Start8 is a perfect match in look AND functionality of the Windows 7 start menu where classic shell is a half assed replacement.

Thank you! I can imagine the number of people griping about paying $5 for this, then tomorrow walking into Starbucks and plunking down $4.85 for a hot brown beverage with some fancy toppings. A beverage! That will be drunk and disposed of in a matter of 20 minutes.

#51 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:26

I used a coupon which knocked off $1. Not sure how much longer the coupon is going to work, so if you're thinking of buying Start8, do it now! :)

WK4-MYLR-QLXP-BOOW

#52 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:30

If you expect that fart app to be Free and say so, then don't cry as you are when people get annoyed that you change your mind and decide to charge for it, after as i said, stating it would be free.
That's what most of the annoyance is about.

As many others have stated, just use other software. This already isn't the only software that has this functionality, and there will be many more in the future that are even better.
Even samsung was testing with their own program.

Remember back when Object dock was the best dock? Then we got Rocketdock, and others that were free, did the same stuff, and even more.

I posted a response to the post I quoted, which talks about the functionality, not the general annoyance towards the 'broken promise'

Thank you! I can imagine the number of people griping about paying $5 for this, then tomorrow walking into Starbucks and plunking down $4.85 for a hot brown beverage with some fancy toppings. A beverage! That will be drunk and disposed of in a matter of 20 minutes.

Word

#53 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:34

This is not an outrage. I see it as fair enough. They are providing something which might be needed by millions. I don't see anything wrong in asking for 5 bucks as a one time fee for a lifetime of less headache. :)

#54 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:35

Word

HA HA, that is hilarious!! And 100% true! :D

#55 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 03 October 2012 - 00:08

no thanks, I prefer Classic Shell, opensource and without spyware.

#56 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 00:13

spyware.

Are you accusing Start8 of being spyware?

#57 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 03 October 2012 - 00:13

Ummm, there's no spyware in Start8?

#58 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 03 October 2012 - 00:54

no thanks, I prefer Classic Shell, opensource and without spyware.

There's no spyware in start8, so why did you pull the spyware card out?

#59 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 03 October 2012 - 00:57

There's no spyware in start8, so why did you pull the spyware card out?

Oh it's awwwwwwwwwn now!

Also, thanks for that coupon, I might just invest in a copy now!
Edit : Actually, scrap that... I already have Object Desktop and didn't realise it included it, sweet!

Edited by Raa, 03 October 2012 - 00:59.

#60 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:46

http://www.msfn.org/...-for-windows-8/

:whistle:
This shall do the trick for most of you,