windows 8 windows 7 survey

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 sbasil

sbasil

Neowinian

• 90 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:09

Can only speak for myself, but nope, no one's holding me at gun point to use it. :p I've had Win8 (server 2012) for about a week now and have nothing but good things to say about it. It boots fast (ssd), it's smooth, fun, innovative, scales great on multiple screens, love the new login screen where you can place widgets etc.. Not all change is for bad! :)

#47 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• 634 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 30 September 2012 - 13:47

Vista fiasco was a perception problem, perception that was created by geeks like you and me. So yes, it is possible that people who hate the new interface are going to ruin a perfectly fine OS, again.

Oh this is just freakin' priceless. So, let me see if I get this right. When 8 flops, it won't be ms's fault, it'll be our fault...???

Pure genius. :rolleyes:

#48 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,013 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 14:00

Hopefully Microsoft is listening. :laugh:

#49 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,926 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 14:00

Windows 8 hasn't been released to the public yet so this survey is useless.

Also, please stick to the topic.

#50 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

• 1,763 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:50

Let me see if I can pick up your logic. Windows 8 is aimed at a minority demographic because it is aimed at tablets? Except that isnt really correct. Windows 8, if you used it, you would know is a hybrid OS just like the Hybrid machines it is inspiring. It is an OS built to fit 2 modes, Desktop and Mobile. In Desktop mode, which is what most people think of when they think of computers works just like windows 7 except the start menu is replaced with a Start screen. Users will need to understand the difference between legacy applications which is to say the desktop applications you use now and Windows RT apps, which arent as necessary in this mode. The start screen makes these tiles quite obvious, so not so hard to figure out. Mobile mode is just as it sound, when you are on the go away from the desk. In this mode, you are not worried about all around productivity and multitasking. Instead, you want to check your mail quickly or search the internet. Pretty much the same kind of think you would use an iPad for. In this mode, the Windows RT apps make a lot of sense. Now you will ask, why is Mobile mode necessary on a desktop computer? And the answer is, it isnt, but it isnt hurting anything either. Since it isnt hurting anything, why not have a consistent experience on what ever platform you go to? If you keep these things in mind and give the OS a real try, you will find that once you get past the initial learning curve, it is so much faster than anything before it. This is really a more productive OS than anything that came before it. Windows 8 hate just doesnt stand up to reality.

ha ha No! nothing to do with tablets. People do not like change, geeks and nerds will get off on this but not your average Joe. Uncles, Aunts, Grand Parents etc will not like this change and they are the ones who have driven the increase in PC sales the last couple of decades. Its new sales that will make a success of this OS, but that particular demographic is not being aimed with this release. IMHO this will be a loss for MS for sometime.

#51 CronicHazel

CronicHazel

Neowinian

• 440 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:01

Oh this is just freakin' priceless. So, let me see if I get this right. When 8 flops, it won't be ms's fault, it'll be our fault...???

Pure genius. :rolleyes:

Well, he does have a point. It's not absolute of course, but it's a very big possibility.

After all, Vista was light-years ahead of XP in terms of usability haha

#52 grik

grik

Neowinian

• 813 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:27

Windows 8 is the new Windows Vista. They are trying to change the habits too quickly, they will have problems and will revert to the old plan, like usal.

#53 kevpan815

kevpan815

Apple Developer Program + Ubuntu Tester

• 732 posts
  • Phone: Apple IPhone 5 Running IOS 6.1 Beta 3!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:59

I've moved fully to Windows 8 on desktops and laptops. No primary Windows 7 anymore on any of my physical machines.

I moved fully to Windows Server 2012 (except for the Mac of course, which is running Mountain Lion) all three of my Dell PC's are running Windows Server 2012! Just FYI.

#54 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• 3,124 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:26

I moved fully to Windows Server 2012 (except for the Mac of course, which is running Mountain Lion) all three of my Dell PC's are running Windows Server 2012! Just FYI.

Why Server 2012 and not 8? What's the advantage in using a server OS at home?

#55 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:34

Survey says: "Windows 8 users prefer Windows 8 over other OSes."

Survey says: "Windows 7 users prefer Windows 7 over other OSes."

Their survey is faulty. Period."

#56 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,465 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:40

Posted Image

Looking at that, I can see validity in the survey.

#57 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:44

Windows 8 hasn't been released to the public yet so this survey is useless.

Also, please stick to the topic.

Server 2012 is final retail.