An open letter to *some* members regarding Jokes forum

What we need to do is Help Warwagon get some Therapy cause he is a small root of the quality loss on this site every darn time i go to a thread and get warwagoned i am more sure then anything Apes gonna get Voted in to the white house and well All Hell is gonna break loose and they gonna Vote wargaon in to office so we need to help him get some therapy ... j/k he he

What we need to do is Help Warwagon get some Therapy cause he is a small root of the quality loss on this site every darn time i go to a thread and get warwagoned i am more sure then anything Apes gonna get Voted in to the white house and well All Hell is gonna break loose and they gonna Vote wargaon in to office so we need to help him get some therapy ... j/k he he

post-160466-0-10140900-1348835983.png

Spend it wisely :rofl:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1106201-spamming-in-the-jokes-section/

Thanks for reading that thread Neobond. Im sure that influnced your choice.

It was wrong for that thread to be closed as I am sure a lot more members would have voiced their opinion.

And I apoligize for the threads I made earlier. They were done for 2 reasons:

1: Maybe people DO like enjoy those types of jokes so I tried it myself :)

2: To show a example on how bad it could get in the jokes section if every member made similar threads.

I apoliziged to the mod that removed the threads (which he should have no doubt :) ) and it will not come out of me again.

It is hard enough to convey emotion via text when it comes to humor so we have to remember that while it may be funny in person, it may not be in writing. The delivery of the joke is a major part of comedy which sadly is not something we can just express in a written form. While, you may read a joke in the right context the poster might have intended, the next two or three people might read it in a completely different context. I think this is partly why some members are getting knocked around here. While the intention is there to make a good joke, it just might not be delivered as well as they wanted.

With that said - to make a move against trolling and harassment in any section of this site is good. I have always respected Neowin's decisions and methods of enforcement, and think overall, it is a good model for any community site. Having run a couple of forums in the past with one being completely community based with unrestricted topics (Family Friendly at least), can't tell you the number of times I'd get a member or two crying to me to stop the bullying and trolling that would go on there. It isn't an easy job and I commend the staff here for keeping their cool in these stormy situations. :)

I'm not posting jokes to spam the forum. The things I write at one point or another made me laugh. Case and point would be the" tomorrow, is always a day a way" thread that was just locked. I just watched that video today and laughed my butt off.

Spamming is when you create a joke thread which contains a link to another joke thread.

I'm Just saying that the stuff I post I do find funny!

Most of the stuff I post in the jokes and funny section I found funny weeks before posting. So i'm not making stuff up on the spot just to post.

An example of this would be the "OMG glad you didn't die" thread (which also just got locked) ....I said that to someone 6 months ago and thought it was funny. I just remembered I said that, when today I saw a facebook post about someone saying how people should dress nice for funerals. So then I told the story there. Then thought, that would make a funny thread.

• Like 2

<snipped>

For the most part, what makes a really good joke is the fact it is universally funny. Everyone can relate to it in some way. Sure, really dark specific humor is funny and has it's place, but random thoughts that enter your mind that make you laugh do not really meet the criteria of what is actually considered to be a good joke by all. I think a Blog would suit you much, much better. I suggest taking a step back and really thinking about this.

• Like 3

I don't agree with this move. Silly, non-funny jokes have a place on the internet.

I'm going to quote a mod from a similar thread:

What is amusing to one member may not be to another, but that isn't enough to take action against the poster.

If you really want to ban such threads, then make another forum topic for Warwagon type jokes. Then we'll have a jokes section, and a Warwagon section.

This is clearly a thing, and people enjoy writing and reading them. If you don't like someone's posts, you have the ability to ban him!

ahhh you know what's really funny? how serious and angsty everyone has been about everything lately.... you know.... windows 8... let's start there...

the amount of people that hate it for no ****ing reason is disgusting... that in itself is a joke. ha!~ I hated it before and I actually really love it. Good job microsoft.

another thing that's funny is the bad mood everyone's in right now.... stuff's not so bad... lighten up... ;)

if me, of all people can start to love windows 8 then you all can learn to like eachother more....this forum used to have more of a cool vibe... now it's gotten to the point of hostility sometimes... not cool at all

everyone's acting like they are on the rag here....

• Like 3

I agree with Warwagon on this one.

Quoting Neowin guidelines for jokes section:

Humour is a very...individual thing. What you may find hilarious may be deathly boring for others. Don't be offended, nor flame users should your particular brand of humour differ.

I find DirtyLarry's above comment as intolerant and prejudiced.

An example of this would be the "OMG glad you didn't die" thread (which also just got locked) ....I said that to someone 6 months ago and thought it was funny. I just remembered I said that, when today I saw a facebook post about someone saying how people should dress nice for funerals. So then I told the story there. Then thought, that would make a funny thread.

Aha!

Right, ok. Now there is some context to that thread and it at least makes sense. But do you not see how that particular joke was one of those, "you had to be there" kind of things? It made sense at the time you originally said it (months ago to a friend), but then after 6 months a random thread appears with the same comment but none of the context...it was baffling, to me at least.

For the most part, what makes a really good joke is the fact it is universally funny...random thoughts that enter your mind that make you laugh do not really meet the criteria of what is actually considered to be a good joke by all. I think a Blog would suit you much, much better.

Bingo. And good call on the blog idea, if a majority of the posts made are in a similar vein to the "OMG" thread then a blog would be much more suited for it than a thread.

Silly, non-funny jokes have a place on the internet.

This is clearly a thing, and people enjoy writing and reading them. If you don't like someone's posts, you have the ability to ban him!

Aren't "non-funny" and "joke" contradictory?

And I'm not so sure it is a thing. At least, it wasn't a thing. Then everyone started doing it - either to be "one of the gang" or to make a point about the direction that J&FS could take if everyone did the same thing - which I guess turned it in to a thing. But it's a thing that should stop, as Neobond pointed out in this thread.

EDIT: Reading that last paragraph to myself again, all I could think of was this:

itll-happen-to-you.png

Warwagon, your jokes are ****, you know it, everyone knows it, you've been told thousands of times to the point where you have become a laughing stock. Warwagoned for example.

Thanks Neobond, this is brilliant news. Hopefully the Jokes and Funny stuff thread can go back to what it was a few years ago. Funny.

Aren't "non-funny" and "joke" contradictory?

And I'm not so sure it is a thing. At least, it wasn't a thing. Then everyone started doing it - either to be "one of the gang" or to make a point about the direction that J&FS could take if everyone did the same thing - which I guess turned it in to a thing. But it's a thing that should stop, as Neobond pointed out in this thread.

Well, Intrinsica I'm sure that you noticed how many views and comments Warwagon's jokes get.

And jokes may be funny in the sense, that they are not funny. That's what amuses me, and some other people.

I do understand that some people may find a joke lacking a punchline downright annoying, but you can easily ban comments from any poster you don't like.

• Like 1

ahhh you know what's really funny? how serious and angsty everyone has been about everything lately.... you know.... windows 8... let's start there...

the amount of people that hate it for no ****ing reason is disgusting... that in itself is a joke. ha!~ I hated it before and I actually really love it. Good job microsoft.

another thing that's funny is the bad mood everyone's in right now.... stuff's not so bad... lighten up... ;)

if me, of all people can start to love windows 8 then you all can learn to like eachother more....this forum used to have more of a cool vibe... now it's gotten to the point of hostility sometimes... not cool at all

everyone's acting like they are on the rag here....

Windows 8 aside I completely agree with you.

Sometimes I wonder how we got here.

I used to create one or even more threads and at least a bunch of posts describing how I adore Neowin, that's merely 12 months or so ago, now, I really wonder how this place got so hostile, smarta**y and so on.

I still like hanging around here, don't get me wrong, my activity and also remixedcat's are strong indicators for that (I guess she's in the same boat as I am), but boy...

Oh and in before "why don't you just go?!!!!!!!"

See, that's the kind of mentality I mean.

I chose to stay on here not for the content only, but for the community, so if the community isn't prosper anymore I shall just go and hand the stage to those that spread bad vibes? Really?

Surely not.

I must admit though, that I really hope that things are about to get better again, because I get forum-tiredness again the more hate, bad vibes and as*holes appear...

Glassed Silver:ios

Got that right Glassed.... ;)

I love this place too... I love the software it uses for the forums, I love a lot of the people here.... This forum has become a home of a sense to me... Many of you have helped me thru a lot and I really love and appreciate you all that are positive to me...

it upsets me to see people in a bad mood and I start to feel sorry for people.... I really do....

• Like 1

For the most part, what makes a really good joke is the fact it is universally funny. Everyone can relate to it in some way. Sure, really dark specific humor is funny and has it's place, but random thoughts that enter your mind that make you laugh do not really meet the criteria of what is actually considered to be a good joke by all. I think a Blog would suit you much, much better. I suggest taking a step back and really thinking about this.

Brave man, trying to stop a forum legend...

You know, everyone complains about warwagon jokes, but see how we actually got warwagon to be a meme on this board

I even open his joke threads to see how much of a joke they are.

I know forum rules apply to everyone equally, but I genuinely think that warwagon posting bad jokes is kind of a running gag and hence contributed to a much stronger funny thing to enjoy than a couple of joke posts: a genuine Neowin meme.

You may find his jokes lacking, maybe even say his stuff doesn't even qualify as joke, but I think we're getting to a point of discussing something that doesn't really need to be addressed.

Maybe having a "tested and proven" jokes forum vs. a warwagon-esque subforum would be an idea, I have no idea, but I know I want to continue reading warwagon's stuff and digging it into the blog section, well... idk... I barely ever notice the blog section (my fault, I know, whatever :p), but his stuff being so bad and hence generating lots of chiming in on "oh no.... warwagoned!" only truly works where you expect the opposite of his quality. (well, nobody expects quality of his jokes anymore, but you get what I mean)

Either way, don't stop him, please... And don't move his territory... :p

Hell, I think we're almost getting to the point of being more of Joke Nazis than Germans LOL

Being German, I have first hand experience we do NOT go to the basement to have a laugh, but damn... :p

Well, Intrinsica I'm sure that you noticed how many views and comments Warwagon's jokes get.

And jokes may be funny in the sense, that they are not funny. That's what amuses me, and some other people.

I do understand that some people may find a joke lacking a punchline downright annoying, but you can easily ban comments from any poster you don't like.

This.

(the term you want is "ignore" posts... not ban... :p)

Problem is, their threads still show up in the mini spy... so if we could fix this, I bet a lot lot less whining would be going on here...

Or at least include the name of the topic starter in the mini-spy (make it optional, could be it's not working well on screens with less window width)

Got that right Glassed.... ;)

I love this place too... I love the software it uses for the forums, I love a lot of the people here.... This forum has become a home of a sense to me... Many of you have helped me thru a lot and I really love and appreciate you all that are positive to me...

it upsets me to see people in a bad mood and I start to feel sorry for people.... I really do....

Preach it sister!

I guess bad vibes and less care about others' emotions by a big part of the member base is a tradeoff you have to deal with being on a tech forum.

People tend to be more pragmatic and less emotional, sometimes they deal with *******s in their jobs, get home in rage and lose the grip on staying calm or respecting others, trying to understand them and so forth.

And often, when emotions do cook up, they often cook up where our heart lies, with what we love or care about.

And whilst most techies don't love their choice of OS or whatever as much as their wives, technically loving or really caring about something means that you get in defense mode pretty quick.

That's how the "religious wars" start. Literally, if you look at history, that's always the reason: defending what you love by war.

-Religions ("in the name of God")

-Nations

-Partners

-etc...

I must admit I'm guilty of this, too. Most people are.

It's pretty much unavoidable, but sometimes it gets way too much out of hand.

Glassed Silver:mac

solution:

Old school jokes forum and a modern jokes section....

GS could tell us a thing or two about segregation... ;)

But if people still complain, that may be the only real solution.

It would set Neowin really apart from others. A jokes section which doesn't show on minispy, posts don't count there, and they are using there own memes(such as warwagoned) there.

solution:

Old school jokes forum and a modern jokes section....

Modern?

w8-modern-ui.jpg

Badum tshhh

Glassed Silver:mac

Thats a good idea, I will ask Marcel to do it.

Can you do this with the political stuff on Neowin?

Sometimes I like to play a game where look at the live feed on the main page too see if its only tech topics.... i know its sad. I should start a thread where people post images where the live feed if free from political post. :p

Can you do this with the political stuff on Neowin?

Sometimes I like to play a game where look at the live feed on the main page too see if its only tech topics.... i know its sad. I should start a thread where people post images where the live feed if free from political post. :p

political stuff, heck do it with the whole site, there are various members that make Fox News look like Unbiased and Fair News reporting