Just got my first cert!

So, yesterday I took the CompTIA Security+ exam and passed. It is my first professional certification and I'm feeling very accomplished. My final score was 854 out of 900 total points.

I will now begin preparing for CCENT and CCNA. My goal is to have both of those complete by the end of the year. I've been working in the Network Operations section for the Brigade I'm assigned to in the Army for two deployments in Afghanistan now, so I have all the practical knowledge, I just need to brush up on the textbook stuff. I'm working towards transitioning from the enlisted military to becoming a communications Warrant Officer, which is equivalent to a senior network engineer in the civilian side. Anyway, just thought I'd brag a little bit about the Security+ certification!

• Like 2

How long did it take to prepare for it?

Total time about 2 weeks over the course of a month because I'm lazy :)

The Army provides Skillport for free to soldiers, so I used that and the 2008 CBT Nuggets. I also used VCE to go through a few practice tests.

Cisco's Packet Tracer is an awesome tool to learn your way around the Cisco IOS. I still use it when I want to try out a few configs.

Yeah, I use Packet Tracer pretty regularly and also GNS3 because you can do some much more advanced stuff with it...like tunneling.