• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:47

https://login.persona.org/

We all know those web pages where the only alternative to a site-specific login is a social networking account. That's not very reassuring for anyone skittish about linking their commentary to a Facebook account relatives might see, if they're even willing to join a social network in the first place. Mozilla has been aware of that hesitation long enough to have just released its long-in-development Persona sign-in service as a beta. Although it has the same kind of simple approach to a login as a Facebook or Twitter pop-up window, Persona's emphasis is on privacy: it stops paying attention the moment credentials go through, keeping any diatribes or subscription details from landing in social streams or central databases. Users don't have to play a rousing game of guess-the-username, either, as they just need to sign in with one or more familiar e-mail addresses and a single password. Persona faces an uphill battle in getting web developer adoption when the establishment sign-in services are open to hundreds of millions of internet citizens, but it does have The Times' online crossword section, OpenPhoto and Voost as early poster children -- and anything that lets the privacy-minded join the party has our vote.

Source: http://www.engadget....unches-in-beta/

#2 jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax

A custom title? Cool!

• 7,558 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599N

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:09

Where as I find that interesting, I can not recall any website that I have ever been to forcing me to log in with a social networking account. Perhaps if I ever ran across these kind of sites I might have a need for this.

#3 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 1,965 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:40

Where as I find that interesting, I can not recall any website that I have ever been to forcing me to log in with a social networking account. Perhaps if I ever ran across these kind of sites I might have a need for this.

The issue is wanting to have a single sign on for every different site (not creating a different account at every website, which is the only alternative now)

#4 OP torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 14:15

engadget forces you to use disqus, which requires you to use twitter, facebook, openid or 2 other social logins. There are tons of websites that force you to do this, alot just have a facebook comments system for their site which removes your anonymity too.

I really hope neowin and engadget add support soon.

#5 Aethec

Aethec

Neowinian Senior

• 2,218 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 15:30

Obligatory xkcd comic... http://xkcd.com/927/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!