Neowinian

• 871 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 20:03

Is there an Java Alternative?

#17 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,157 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 29 September 2012 - 20:03

Eh it's not all bad, use it off and on in server applications, portability is a major plus. Just don't let the thing within 500 yards of your browser and use the same common sense you would with regular applications.

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,226 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 September 2012 - 20:32

the only reason i have it installed is for minecraft, i don't use it for anything else and i have the java aplet disabled in my web browsers

Java SSV disabled doesn't prevent java from working in browsers. It just makes your browsers and java faster...

Either way the whole security thingis a joke anyways. Linux,MacOS ,windows, they all have holes that have existed for years and years and even decades. They have existed for so long because no one found them. When someone finds the whole it gets patched and its secure. Java is no worse than anything else. Everything have zero day exploits. Java is a popular target though because it is everywhere, and not just on windows either, and is used for bankID/eID

#19 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• 1,639 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 29 September 2012 - 20:36

yeah I use it with hardware KVM switches which still require JVM....

#20 paxa

paxa

Neowinian

• 761 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:33

me...personally i've removed it from my pc. it generates more problems than solutions.

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,503 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:39

Java SSV disabled doesn't prevent java from working in browsers. It just makes your browsers and java faster...

i have java disabled from within firefox, and i know it doesn't guarantee that i'm protected completely but it does lower the risk

#22 testman

testman

Neowinian

• 1,080 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:40

Removed it from all my Windows devices. However, had to install it again on XP because PS3 Media Server requires it, annoyingly.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,226 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:45

i have it disabled from within firefox, and i know it doesn't guarantee that i'm protected completely but it does lower the risk

What about the zero day flaws in Firefox that have been there since day one, or in any of the plugins and addons you run on it, or your mail client, or your OS or any other app you run.

Java is no worse than anything else, it's just been targeted more lately and given more media exposure. Which means the holes are fixed faster. Meanwhile those zero day holes in Firefox may only be know to or or a handful of malicious hackers, they're not spreading malware wildly and are thus not detected and are far more dangerous than known java holes that any decent Security suite would block anyway(that means none of the free ones)

#24 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,806 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:48

Can we sue Oracle/Sun for Java ? :laugh:

#25 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:56

How is this topic any different from:

http://www.neowin.ne...mputers-at-risk

#26 Aethec

Aethec

Neowinian Senior

• 2,218 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:58

What about the zero day flaws in Firefox that have been there since day one, or in any of the plugins and addons you run on it, or your mail client, or your OS or any other app you run.

Java is no worse than anything else, it's just been targeted more lately and given more media exposure. Which means the holes are fixed faster. Meanwhile those zero day holes in Firefox may only be know to or or a handful of malicious hackers, they're not spreading malware wildly and are thus not detected and are far more dangerous than known java holes that any decent Security suite would block anyway(that means none of the free ones)

.NET is in the same category as Java (VMs that execute code and provide standard libraries), yet it's not nearly as flawed and handles updates much better - not just because they're delivered through WU, but also because it doesn't use the stupid versioning system Java has.

Yes, Java is worse than other software in this regard.

#27 Eddie7

Eddie7

Hallo... www.connectw.me

• 799 posts
  • Phone: 1-800-CALL-ME-MAYBE

Posted 29 September 2012 - 22:04

The language itself is a beasty ass language. All softwares have bugs in the beginning but about this security flaw, damn, it's like Oracle doesn't even care.

#28 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:23

Java is as buggy as flash. Sigh. Why do we need either?

#29 Aethec

Aethec

Neowinian Senior

• 2,218 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 20:34

The language itself is a beasty ass language. All softwares have bugs in the beginning but about this security flaw, damn, it's like Oracle doesn't even care.

In the beginning? Java has been there for...a long time.

#30 Eddie7

Eddie7

Hallo... www.connectw.me

• 799 posts
  • Phone: 1-800-CALL-ME-MAYBE

Posted 30 September 2012 - 21:19

In the beginning? Java has been there for...a long time.

In the beginning as for example when Windows 8 came out.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!