WMP database keeps corrupting.

Question

So I use WMP as a DLNA player and it works great, (none of the other ones work as well, I have tried most!)

The problem is, every week or so, the database becomes corrupted and I have to stop the service, delete the database file and restart the service......(otherwise I can't add new files to the library)

it's a big pain cause the database takes a while to rebuilt and I can't use it until it's done.

What can be causing this recurring issue? everything is updated and I am virus free. Windows 7 pro is being used.

10 answers to this question

the database file is just over 16mb. I reduced it to 13 by not including a few folders but that didn't help. the biggest annoyance is that I have to restart the machine every time this happens.

there is a way to remove wmp by the programs and feature and then re-enable it

post-361542-0-64406600-1351201789.png

there is a way to remove wmp by the programs and feature and then re-enable it

Yeah I know, you think that will be helpful? I am guessing this won't solve the problem and will take just as long and require a restart. But I will give it a shot since I am all our of ideas.

If the database keeps becoming corrupted, there are a number of potential causes, the most likely of which are:

1: The hard drive you boot with is on it's way out

2: The hard drive your media resides on is on it's way out

3: Some of your media files may be either corrupted or in a format that's causing the indexer to crash

I've never personally had this kind of issue but I'd start with looking at the welfare of your disk drives.

If you're playing from a DLNA server it shouldn't have anything to do with the WMP database as that information is pulled real-time from the server.

WMP is the server and it keeps a database of the files. I know what you mean though, most other DLNA players don't need a database to keep track of stuff but WMP does... I think this is what makes the client side feel faster when the server is WMP instead of others.