Photo
batery phone slim

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Phone thickness

Thicker phone with big batter or skinny phone with small battery?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:12

Am I the only one who would much rather have a much thicker phone with a large battery over a skinny phone? Sure you can get an extended battery but im not really a fan of using a third party addon to make my phone look like it has a tumor on its back. I would much rather have a phone that is more thick like 10-12mm with a much bigger battery over a phone that is 7mm with a little battery. The phones now are already huge at 4.5"+ anyways so the thickness wont really make much of a difference. Its already going to take up a bunch of space in my pocket because of the big screen so I would at least like to use that big screen to its fullest for longer if it means it needs to be thicker.

To me 3-5mm in phone thickness doesn't really matter, but when it comes to squeezing a battery into there those 3-5mm can seriously increase your battery size.

#2 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:15

I'd prefer a 5" phone that lasted a week than a 2" phone that lasted 6 hours

Maybe not 5" but you get the idea

#3 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:18

I agree on a larger battery. Problem is phone companies are in some race with themselves and they ignore us consumers. As a result, you get what they tell us we want and not what we actually want.

Someday keyboards will return to phones and larger capacity batteries will as well.

#4 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:19

Skinny is overrated. In more ways than one :whistle:

#5 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:20

My iPhone 5 just feels too damn thin, I'd much prefer it be the same thickness as the 4S or thicker, and pack a bigger battery.

#6 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:25

As long as I can get a reasonable day's usage from a smartphone it doesn't bother me all that much. I tend to side with functionality over size though normally.

#7 tenpoundmouse

tenpoundmouse

Winner of the 100 metre egg & spoon race (1985-1987).

• Phone: Nexus 5 : Lumia 920

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:29

I agree on the larger battery but aesthetics also plays quite a large part on any purchase I make.

#8 wellofsouls

wellofsouls

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:45

As long as it's not too thick, I definitely want a larger battery, considering 2mm more thickness can give twice the working time.

#9 OP I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2012 - 00:38

As long as it's not too thick, I definitely want a larger battery, considering 2mm more thickness can give twice the working time.

exactly, 2mm isn't going to really make any difference and I doubt most people would even be able to tell. Even if you were to lay two phones flat and ask people which is thinner you have to look really close and the final judgment would be "well that ones is a tiny bit more thin", which is correct, 2mm more thin, and that's hardly enough to make a difference in how it feels in your hand. That 2mm though can really increase your battery life.

#10 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:02

I've always had big phones in the past, and still do, relatively speaking.
I don't mind the extra size, I get the benefits from it (longer life, physical QWERTY keyboard, etc)

#11 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:19

Remember the old Nokia's that would last a week on a single charge? There's no reason why we can't make a phone like that again! Just tape 3 batteries together, make the phone thicker, and you have a week's worth of light use.

#12 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:46

Battery life has been great on my current and last phone, and both have been on the thin side, so I'd rather have a thin device. More battery life isn't an advantage if current battery life is satisfactory!

#13 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:29

Thicker, and even a bit extra to support a removable battery.

Hell, I'd want thicker even if it weren't for the extra battery life. My iPod touch is just too thin, it feels like it's going to slide out of my hand (people have been complaining about this with the iPhone 5 too, and I know someone with a Galaxy S who bought a protective case just to make it thick enough).

#14 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:35

I charge my HTC One X each night (8 hours) - I know it doesn't need that much charge and at the end of the day its probably at about 60% but its important to me that my phone is at 100% at the start of day just in case, and like Im going to get up at 1am to unplug it.

I know its not the best method, I know its wasteful and probably a few £ more expensive but I need to know my phone is ready if I need it. My HTC Desire lasted very well for the 24 month contract i had it on, now its sleeps in an drawer in my desk.

I would welcome a chunkier phone if it gave me two days. I don't care how thin my phone is, as long as i can carry it in my trouser pocket.

#15 oliver182

oliver182

Neowinian

• Phone: Alcatel OneTouch Idol Ultra

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:51

Yep I'll go with the Lumia 920's 2000 mAh battery, I don't mind it's 10.7 mm tick.