Have 4S but want large screen - which Android device do you suggest?

I want a phone with at least a 4.5" screen.

The Galaxy Note II will cost ?530, which I can't afford.

So, as far as I am aware, I have three main options:

• Samsung Galaxy Note - ?370 (16 GB)

SoC
Samsung Exynos 4210

CPU
1.4 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9

GPU
ARM Mali-400 MP

RAM
1 GB RAM

Screen:
5.3" HD Super AMOLED - 1280x800 (285 ppi)
  • Samsung Galaxy S III - ?410 (16 GB)

SoC
Samsung Exynos 4 Quad

CPU
1.4 GHz quad-core Cortex-A9

GPU
ARM Mali-400 MP

RAM
1 GB RAM

Screen:
4.8" HD Super AMOLED - 1280x720 (306 ppi)
  • HTC One X - ?380 (16 GB)

SoC
Nvidia Tegra 3 T30

CPU
1.5 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9

GPU
Nvidia ULP GeForce

RAM
1 GB RAM

Screen:
4.7" Super LCD 2 - 1280?720 (312 ppi)

Switching to android is the biggest mistake I made... I have the S3.

how long have you had the iphone? I am too used to it and all my friends have iphones. it's really annoying not to have an iphone when the rest of your friends do.

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it was the best move I have made - as for Jelly Bean, apparently it is coming during October but that is dependent on your carrier given that some carriers already have starting providing an OTA update.

how long have you had the iphone? I am too used to it and all my friends have iphones. it's really annoying not to have an iphone when the rest of your friends do.

Your friends are jumping off the cliff, you better do it too :/ Dude...what are you...? 12 years old...

I think I'll go with the Galaxy Note. They're around ?275 second-hand on eBay and I already have phone insurance, so I think it's a wise decision.

I have switched from an iPhone 4S to the Galaxy Nexus and I am more than happy. The Nexus also have jellybean, Android's latest software.

The Nexus' screen is too small for what I want.

I've had a 3G, 4 and 4S, so a total of around 3.5 years. I was happy during that time but the 5 was not enough of a difference from the 4S I have, and it's the most expensive iPhone to date, anddd I want a large screen - so it's Android time for me.

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it was the best move I have made - as for Jelly Bean, apparently it is coming during October but that is dependent on your carrier given that some carriers already have starting providing an OTA update.

I can't really justify the ?410 price for the S III, it's just not different enough from my 4S.

As long as you can upgrade to Jellybean. I found upgrading from ICS to jellybean was like from Ginerbread to ICS

The Galaxy Note has Android 4.0.4 (officially from Samsung), so it's nice knowing it will be rather up-to-date.

Your friends are jumping off the cliff, you better do it too :/ Dude...what are you...? 12 years old...

There are advantages to using similar devices and apps to your friends, not just because you want to 'follow the sheep'. Examples would be iMessage FaceTime, and Find my Friends, as well as recommending iOS apps to each other. I'm sure there are features/apps for Android as well that are a better experience if your friends are using them too.

For the OP: If you see them in person the SIII is definitely a big change from a 4S.

• Like 2

the only difference from iPhone to android is one is unlocked and iPhone is not

and between both phones i like i phone because android battery life sucks

now if ur giving up 4s go to Galaxy s3 or iphone 5 the rest sucks there's my 2 cents

The Galaxy Note has Android 4.0.4 (officially from Samsung), so it's nice knowing it will be rather up-to-date.

If you can root it to jellybean, that would be best since it doesn't have S3 gesture UI anyway, nothing to lose.

It really narrowed the gap vs iOS in my opinion.

wow you sire are really sad. You choose a phone based on your friends rather than personal needs. So if all your friends had those old nokias you would get it too? Its so cool y615972oull be able to send each other polyphonic ringtones.

I think the choice depends a lot on what you plan on using the phone for. The Note is a good, big phone, that comes with a stylus...but has some (slightly) aging hardware in it. If you're going to surf the web, watch movies, and send some emails...the Note is great =) If you think you're going to need the extra beef out of a CPU (...doing what I'm not too sure) then the Galaxy would be the way to go.

Basically, in short: On the Galaxy you pay ?40 more, get a faster CPU, and a slightly smaller screen. On the Note you get a stylus, a somewhat bigger screen, but a bit of a weaker GPU.

Neither phone has easy video output (no HDMI port) so if you're looking to plug it into a TV, you'll need an adapter or a different phone.

I have no experience with the HTC, however personally I strongly dislike the Sense UI, and wouldn't get it for that reason...but that's more me.

Goodluck - they're all great phones =)

Edit: I dislike apple, and would never get an iPhone, I would use my current 1st gen Samsung Focus over the iPhone 5....having said that but, if ALL my friends and family had it...free ( i)messages may be a 'feature' you go for...

There are advantages to using similar devices and apps to your friends, not just because you want to 'follow the sheep'. Examples would be iMessage FaceTime, and Find my Friends, as well as recommending iOS apps to each other. I'm sure there are features/apps for Android as well that are a better experience if your friends are using them too.

I will miss most of the the things you've mentioned (especially considering, for the next few months, my missus (who has an iPod touch) will be living abroad), but I have checked for alternatives:

iMessage: We use the Facebook Messenger app for messages and photos, we find it more reliable. For videos - we're not sure. Perhaps e-mail.

FaceTime: We use this a lot, but I'm sure there will be apps that will suffice. Also, the Note I'm considering has a 2 MP front camera, so in fact, it will be better for the missus.

Find My Friends: Useless, battery-draining feature that hardly anyone uses. Won't miss this one.

App Store: I'll miss the App Store (especially considering I've invested hundreds of pounds of money into it!) but oh well, fed up of feeling locked in.

If you see them in person the SIII is definitely a big change from a 4S.

I'd be selling my 4S for ?330 and the S III is ?410 - I've decided the S III is not different enough from the 4S to sell the 4S and pay an additional ?80.

wow you sire are really sad.

I think you've misinterpreted his reasons as there are advantages when you and all your mates have iPhones, calling him sad is pretty misguided. iMessage, Facetime and FindFriends are all pretty neat. There are obviously cross-platform alternatives but none that integrate as smoothly.

I'd be selling my 4S for ?330 and the S III is ?410 - I've decided the S III is not different enough from the 4S to sell the 4S and pay an additional ?80.

What storage size is your 4S? Have you considered waiting a couple months for Windows Phone 8 to launch? Also, why do you need such a huge screen? Ever consider getting a ?200 Nexus 7 to compliment your phone? The note just seems silly to have up to you ear but I guess it depends how much talking you do.

What storage size is your 4S? Have you considered waiting a couple months for Windows Phone 8 to launch? Also, why do you need such a huge screen? Ever consider getting a ?200 Nexus 7 to compliment your phone? The note just seems silly to have up to you ear but I guess it depends how much talking you do.

It's a 16 GB model, although I stream almost everything and I never keep taken photos/videos on there (in case it's stolen), so 16 GB is fine.

I've owned a Lumia and some obvious features are missing from Windows Phone (such as an orientation lock). Also, switching between apps just isn't as intuitive as with iOS (double-tapping the Home button).

I want a large screen for viewing websites, videos, games etc.

I make around 30 minutes of calls per month.

I want a phone with at least a 4.5" screen.

The Galaxy Note II will cost ?530, which I can't afford.

It's called saving your money.

I say the Samsung S3, because it'll be supported longer than the Note, there is a Note 2 coming out soon as well. HTC are well built but the UI/Framework is very heavy and slow, not saying Samsung's is much better but if your not afraid to root your phone, I would personally go for the ASOP experience. Carriers hold back updates so they can 'test' stuff, I got my S2 and rooted it on day one, never looked back.

I am going to take the high road and explain to you what the big deal with that is.

iMessages are huge when it comes to iphones. iphones do a really good job dealing with MMS and group messages. androids do an AWFUL job with that. it's super annoying to have a group chat with 3 friends who are sending messages and pictures back and fort over wifi while I sit there with my S3 waiting for the network to load a small text that has to be sent as an MMS because it's a group message.... and yes I have tried all the messaging apps. none of them work properly. 3 things I do on a phone. text, email, use maps. unfortunately, my S3 doesn't do any of those the way i want it to.

Not sure what problem you've experienced there capr, I send group messages to all my team leaders at work almost every day and we all have S3's, absolutely zero problems. Granted I don't use it for MMS (didn't even realise people still did that with things like whatsapp, facebook messenger, viber and the dozens of other apps that allow you do do it all for free), but anyway I digress...

As an S3 owner and user, I would recommend it over the note. Both phones have approx 2mp front facing camera's if that is your main concern. If you are a heavy photograph taker, the rear facing camera is far superior on the S3 as well.

My main problem with the note is it's more geared towards the stylus being primary input and the touchscreen itself feels a bit laggy with just finger use (probably down to a lesser quality digitizer to cope with the stylus) not to mention the higher dpi on the s3. I'm also not a huge fan of the default Exchange email client, but being Android you've got the choice of using a massive list of clients available on the market.

I am going to take the high road and explain to you what the big deal with that is.

iMessages are huge when it comes to iphones. iphones do a really good job dealing with MMS and group messages. androids do an AWFUL job with that. it's super annoying to have a group chat with 3 friends who are sending messages and pictures back and fort over wifi while I sit there with my S3 waiting for the network to load a small text that has to be sent as an MMS because it's a group message.... and yes I have tried all the messaging apps. none of them work properly. 3 things I do on a phone. text, email, use maps. unfortunately, my S3 doesn't do any of those the way i want it to.

iMessage is not the same as MMS so stop thinking it is. It is a proprietary, closed, non-standard way of messaging and shame on Apple for even creating it. Had they made it open source for the world to use I could maybe get behind it. But whining about Apple's idiotic way of doing some ****ty messaging program that no one else in their right mind uses is illogical.

Did you really try whatsapp because my Android phone can handle groupchats in whatsapp with no problems.

<snip>

My main problem with the note is it's more geared towards the stylus being primary input and the touchscreen itself feels a bit laggy with just finger use (probably down to a lesser quality digitizer to cope with the stylus) <snip>

I'll look into this, thanks.

I would suggest going and playing with a note and a GS3 side by side in a shop, make up your mind that way.

I've already said; I can not justify the ?410 price for a new S III, it's just not different enough from my 4S.

I'll get a second-hand Galaxy Note, instead. They're ?275.

well despite the specs of the S3 in all the benchmarks and reviews i have seen the iphone 5 not only is a more rugged phone but it consistently outperforms the S3 also the iPhone 5 does have a bigger screen just not as big as ya want

Note: i run an LG Lucid stuck with AD 2.3.6 really sucks

As noted by IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/the-iphone-5-review

Apple has long contested that specs don't matter, and with the iPhone 5 they've proven their point.

It's got worse specs than the Galaxy S3 (1GB of RAM, dual-core CPU at 1.3GHz vs 2GBs of RAM and a dual-core processor at 1.51GHz), but the iPhone 5 consistently outperformed it, by considerable margins.

That means everything the iPhone 5 does is snappy and fast, from opening apps to graphically intensive animations. Even the notorious "Welcome back to Game Center" banner doesn't make games stutter or lag. Loading screens disappear only moments after appearing. Detailed tests and reports have found the iPhone 5 to be the fastest smartphone there is. The iPhone 5 can only seem like a "minor upgrade" until you hold it. It's not until the phone is in your hand that you realize just how much has really changed.