WTF kind of Ram is this?!?

Hey Guys

My friend gave me a bunch of his old computer stuff. I've been able to salvage and identify everything else but what you see below. Take a look at this. I've never seen anything like it. I think it's ram but not sure. There are no tags or serials on it, so I can't look it up. It's like ram on steroids! (3rd Pic) Sorry for the bad pics. The only camera I have is my iPod touch. :(

Thanks for your help! You guys are life savers!!!! :)

Side 1:

post-447111-0-72830900-1349039257_thumb.

Side 2:

post-447111-0-83512000-1349039287_thumb.

Comparison to DDR 2

post-447111-0-44044700-1349039296_thumb.

It looks like standard PC100/133 SDRAM to me as well, the pins and the notches look about right.

It could even be some really late DRAM, but I doubt it.

OK. I i did some more digging around in the boxes he gave me and I found a whole stack of it, some with tags on them. How manny MB do you guys think they are? What year?

Tag:

post-447111-0-78446800-1349040964_thumb.

Again I apologize for the quality. The tag says this ( I kept the format as written on the tag):

MT36LD3272G-5x EDO

US 9943n

-barcode is here-

1384-005 s00xnnk ud 3n **

Is this usable? What Mobo and Processor would I need or is it just too old?

MT36LD3272G-5x EDO

US 9943n

i googled, and i found this:

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/401-24943-3697/Micron-MT36LD3272G-5-X-Server-Memory-Module.html

http://www.archmemory.com/ram.cfm/Dell-Parts-Dell-256-MB-Memory-DIMM-168-pin-43567-129136

it looks like it is also registered ram too, might be hard to find a motherboard that can work with that

it looks like it is also registered ram too, might be hard to find a motherboard that can work with that

I'm sorry, but, what do you mean by "registered"? Is it a very special type of ram designed for a specific mobo?

Edit: Heh. I looked it up. What type of mobo and processor would I need? Is it worth using it? Just Junk?

http://en.wikipedia....gistered_memory

Oh wow EDO RAM. I feel old if you lot don't know what it is lol. you got these for the first Pentium processors.

Wow that is old. lol. Maybe it isn't worth me building a rig with and selling it.

Wow that is old. lol. Maybe it isn't worth me building a rig with and selling it.

lol as soon i saw that RAM i thought it must be an ECC DIMM RAM or an old RAMBUS; then i felt old that most of you guys never saw that.

to the OP: i sold a couple of years ago 32MB SIMM for alot of cash because old memory is scarce and there's still systems that used that, you might get lucky by putting that on ebay.

• Like 2

interesting that it's still being sold and for $30. pretty cheap i guess for the age/probable rarity.

RAM tends to do that. New technology is mega prices, then it gradually falls and falls as it hits mainstream. Then it becomes old hat again and the price rises up a bit. Then it becomes so old/rare that it's either worthless (no one uses it) or gets quite expensive again (still used but harder to find)

interesting that it's still being sold and for $30. pretty cheap i guess for the age/probable rarity.

RAM tends to do that. New technology is mega prices, then it gradually falls and falls as it hits mainstream. Then it becomes old hat again and the price rises up a bit. Then it becomes so old/rare that it's either worthless (no one uses it) or gets quite expensive again (still used but harder to find)

yup that's true; i probably couldn't sold those SIMMs today due being too old and pricey for the performance increase it could get; when i sold those it was old but it had a bigger market then now (old servers and old desktops with legacy apps).

Hello,

It is a Micron Technologies 256MB (32MB?72) EDO ECC with Parity 50ns 168-pin memory module.

You can find the spec sheet for it here on Micron's web site: 8, 16, 32 Meg x 72 Buffered DRAM DIMMs

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Correct. I have four sticks of this from my Micron Pentium-90 circa 1995.

Total 128MB.