• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 30 September 2012 - 21:50

Looks just like the memory that I had in my dell 6350, had 4 slots of it and had a total 1GB of RAM, it's ECC-registered SD-RAM.

#17 MarkusDarkus

MarkusDarkus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 September 2012 - 21:55

Oh wow EDO RAM. I feel old if you lot don't know what it is lol. you got these for the first Pentium processors.

#18 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 September 2012 - 22:00

Oh wow EDO RAM. I feel old if you lot don't know what it is lol. you got these for the first Pentium processors.

Wow that is old. lol. Maybe it isn't worth me building a rig with and selling it.

#19 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:07

Wow that is old. lol. Maybe it isn't worth me building a rig with and selling it.

lol as soon i saw that RAM i thought it must be an ECC DIMM RAM or an old RAMBUS; then i felt old that most of you guys never saw that.

to the OP: i sold a couple of years ago 32MB SIMM for alot of cash because old memory is scarce and there's still systems that used that, you might get lucky by putting that on ebay.

#20 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: WP8

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:24

interesting that it's still being sold and for $30. pretty cheap i guess for the age/probable rarity.

RAM tends to do that. New technology is mega prices, then it gradually falls and falls as it hits mainstream. Then it becomes old hat again and the price rises up a bit. Then it becomes so old/rare that it's either worthless (no one uses it) or gets quite expensive again (still used but harder to find)

#21 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:30

interesting that it's still being sold and for $30. pretty cheap i guess for the age/probable rarity.

RAM tends to do that. New technology is mega prices, then it gradually falls and falls as it hits mainstream. Then it becomes old hat again and the price rises up a bit. Then it becomes so old/rare that it's either worthless (no one uses it) or gets quite expensive again (still used but harder to find)

yup that's true; i probably couldn't sold those SIMMs today due being too old and pricey for the performance increase it could get; when i sold those it was old but it had a bigger market then now (old servers and old desktops with legacy apps).

#22 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:32

EDO ram is VERY early... pentium 1 machines...

#23 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:32

It's registered ECC PC100/133 SD-Ram. I've got a few in my bag, you can't use them on many computers...

#24 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:37

Hello,

It is a Micron Technologies 256MB (32MB×72) EDO ECC with Parity 50ns 168-pin memory module.

You can find the spec sheet for it here on Micron's web site: 8, 16, 32 Meg x 72 Buffered DRAM DIMMs

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#25 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:52

Hello,

It is a Micron Technologies 256MB (32MB×72) EDO ECC with Parity 50ns 168-pin memory module.

You can find the spec sheet for it here on Micron's web site: 8, 16, 32 Meg x 72 Buffered DRAM DIMMs

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Correct. I have four sticks of this from my Micron Pentium-90 circa 1995.
Total 128MB.

#26 witalit

witalit

Always looking ahead..

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:52

I'm sorry, but, what do you mean by "registered"? Is it a very special type of ram designed for a specific mobo?

Edit: Heh. I looked it up. What type of mobo and processor would I need? Is it worth using it? Just Junk?

http://en.wikipedia....gistered_memory

Not really worth the time or money to use this.

#27 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:58

lol as soon i saw that RAM i thought it must be an ECC DIMM RAM or an old RAMBUS; then i felt old that most of you guys never saw that.

to the OP: i sold a couple of years ago 32MB SIMM for alot of cash because old memory is scarce and there's still systems that used that, you might get lucky by putting that on ebay.

Yeah. I'm thinking about that. How much should I sell them for? 20 bucks a piece? How do I know how many MB they are? Do I sell them in sets of 2 or single? Is there a way to even test that they work (without building a computer)? They are in really good shape, just dusty.

#28 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 13:20

Yeah. I'm thinking about that. How much should I sell them for? 20 bucks a piece? How do I know how many MB they are? Do I sell them in sets of 2 or single? Is there a way to even test that they work (without building a computer)? They are in really good shape, just dusty.

well, you could buy this http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1174 but that's overkill :); that's the problem with old hardware; if you don't have the hardware to test that (like an old pc) it's gonna be hard to test that (and to sell if you don't know if it works). having saying that check the prices at ebay or your local autions like that to get an ideia how valueble those mems are today.

#29 Xyphus

Xyphus

Hardware Junkie

• OS: Windows 7 64bit, OSX, and various distros of Linux.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 13:22

EDO (Extended Data Out) is very old-school RAM. (We're talking original 66MHz Pentium here). The one that you have is most likely from an old server. Not much use for it nowadays. Most machines in the last 10 years or so will be using some form of DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM. The only people you really would be able to sell it to would be either someone looking to fix up an old school machine for nestalgia reasons, or someone who just likes to collect old PC hardware. I think I still have a few sticks of EDO somewhere from an old Pentim machine. (As well as some really old 30-pin DIMMS that I used on my old Gravis Ultrasound sound card...) I may have tossed it out however in my last basement purge/cleanup session... You could always try tossing it up on EBay, but I wouldn't expect much. My guess is that they are probaly in the 4MB to 8MB size. Maybe 16MB, but that might be pushing it...

#30 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2012 - 13:41

EDO (Extended Data Out) is very old-school RAM. (We're talking original 66MHz Pentium here). The one that you have is most likely from an old server. Not much use for it nowadays. Most machines in the last 10 years or so will be using some form of DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM. The only people you really would be able to sell it to would be either someone looking to fix up an old school machine for nostalgia reasons, or someone who just likes to collect old PC hardware. I think I still have a few sticks of EDO somewhere from an old Pentium machine. (As well as some really old 30-pin DIMMS that I used on my old Gravis Ultrasound sound card...) I may have tossed it out however in my last basement purge/cleanup session... You could always try tossing it up on EBay, but I wouldn't expect much. My guess is that they are probably in the 4MB to 8MB size. Maybe 16MB, but that might be pushing it...

It's worth a shot, at least. The worst that could happen is it won't sell and it'll collect dust in my closet. I've never used eBay before so I'll do some research on that. I know you need a PayPal account, but other than that, IDK. I know Xyphus in real life, so I'm sure he could help me. :happy:

LOL! Anybody want to buy some?