hardware help ram computers

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 01 October 2012 - 17:09

EDO (Extended Data Out) is very old-school RAM. (We're talking original 66MHz Pentium here). The one that you have is most likely from an old server. Not much use for it nowadays. Most machines in the last 10 years or so will be using some form of DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM. The only people you really would be able to sell it to would be either someone looking to fix up an old school machine for nestalgia reasons, or someone who just likes to collect old PC hardware. I think I still have a few sticks of EDO somewhere from an old Pentim machine. (As well as some really old 30-pin DIMMS that I used on my old Gravis Ultrasound sound card...) I may have tossed it out however in my last basement purge/cleanup session... You could always try tossing it up on EBay, but I wouldn't expect much. My guess is that they are probaly in the 4MB to 8MB size. Maybe 16MB, but that might be pushing it...

there's still business that have old servers with ultra old legacy software that doesn't have any modern port; i know because i have one client with just that.

#32 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 October 2012 - 17:12

there's still business that have old servers with ultra old legacy software that doesn't have any modern port; i know because i have one client with just that.

You wanna buy some? :) Make it a tad bit faster! *salesman pitch*

#33 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:18

You wanna buy some? :) Make it a tad bit faster! *salesman pitch*

lol i've tried as well to sell more hardware and software to protect that server but they're cheap!

#34 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:22

lol i've tried as well to sell more hardware and software to protect that server but they're cheap!

OK lol. I guess I'll put 'em up on ebay and see how they do. :)

#35 Ryya

Ryya

Guru

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:37

I have some similar sticks in my old DX-66, it's lovely and boots Win 3.1 in minutes.

#36 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:40

I have some similar sticks in my old DX-66, it's lovely and boots Win 3.1 in minutes.

^ :p

#37 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:56

LMAO

i've had a Pentium MMX 200Hz with 256MB of RAM booting Windows 2000 in a couple of minutes (enough time to drink a coffe); when i installed XP on that same puter i could eat dinner while it was booting and sometimes it wasn't enough :woot:
i've even made some photoshops designs in that same puter :rofl: