Restaurant shut down after road kill found in kitchen

A Chinese restaurant in Kentucky has reportedly been forced to shut its doors after allegedly serving up roadkill.

WKYT.com reports that the Red Flower Chinese Restaurant in Williamsburg was shuttered on Thursday after a customer called the health department when she saw a dead deer being wheeled into the kitchen.

"Two of the workers came in wheeling a garbage can and they had a box sitting on top of it,? Kate Hopkins told the website. ?And hanging out of the garbage can, they were trying to be real quick with it. So that nobody could see it. But there was like a tail, and a foot and leg. Sticking out of the garbage can and they wheeled it straight back into the kitchen.?

Paul Lawson, Whitley County?s environmental health inspector, said the owner?s son admitted to pick up the dead animal from the side of I-75 North in Williamsburg. The restaurant was immediately shut down.

"They said they didn't know that they weren't allowed to,? Lawson said. ?So that makes me concerned. But maybe they could have before. They didn't admit to doing it before.?

Owners can reopen the restaurant, Lawson said, if it passes a secondary health inspection proving that they have properly sanitized it.

source

Never been a fan of chinese food anyway......not because of things like this, I just don't like the taste/texture of the food, but it makes me glad that I steer clear of it in cases like this.

That restaurant is finished, even if they re-open, I give them maybe 6 months before they close for good. People will avoid that restaurant like the plague!

Are you sure? I would have thought that it would go the other way, it would become more popular with people wanting an authentic taste of home :shifty:

In NS years back, donno if it still is the case, they used to take deer and moose that was roadkill and give it to some shelters.. Properly prepared, it's fine, not like it was sitting on the side of the road for a week or something..

Disgusting....

Depends on how fresh it is. If the son is the one that hit the deer just before bringing it in or was there when another car hit it, there is honestly nothing unsafe about it other than it shouldn't be gutted in the kitchen. There wouldn't be a difference from going hunting, killing it, and then serving it. If he wasn't the one that hit it and just randomly found it on the side of the road, that is another issue and is as you said disgusting. They should have asked the son the circumstances of the deers death.

In NS years back, donno if it still is the case, they used to take deer and moose that was roadkill and give it to some shelters.. Properly prepared, it's fine, not like it was sitting on the side of the road for a week or something..

People do it in Oklahoma for cows, deer, and elk after they hit and kill the animal. No reason to let the meat go to waste. If I wasn't there when it was hit, I would be as willing to take it home though. Especially with elk since you can't simply get a license and go kill an elk hunting like you can a deer.

Depends on how fresh it is. If the son is the one that hit the deer just before bringing it in or was there when another car hit it, there is honestly nothing unsafe about it other than it shouldn't be gutted in the kitchen. There wouldn't be a difference from going hunting, killing it, and then serving it. If he wasn't the one that hit it and just randomly found it on the side of the road, that is another issue and is as you said disgusting. They should have asked the son the circumstances of the deers death.

People do it in Oklahoma for cows, deer, and elk after they hit and kill the animal. No reason to let the meat go to waste. If I wasn't there when it was hit, I would be as willing to take it home though. Especially with elk since you can't simply get a license and go kill an elk hunting like you can a deer.

actually.. my issue would be that I highly doubt deer or venison is normally on their menu. So its most likely that the meat was just going to be a filler or replacement of something else. Ive been convinced that all chinese places are cooking up roadkill, rats, cats, etc for years... I love chinese food!! :woot:

actually.. my issue would be that I highly doubt deer or venison is normally on their menu. So its most likely that the meat was just going to be a filler or replacement of something else. Ive been convinced that all chinese places are cooking up roadkill, rats, cats, etc for years... I love chinese food!! :woot:

My bet would be they were doing it for themselves, and never planning to serve it to customers.. Just put it in their own freezer..

I mean it's funny and all, the Chinese using stray animals and such, but in reality, they are gonna just buy the food like everyone else, and not spend all their time going down back streets with nets, and looking for roadkill.

Nothing wrong with wild deer meat. I thought they meant real road kill, like possum or raccoon or maybe even coyote or armadillo.

As long as you don't mind the anti-freeze and engine oil mixed in from the impact.

There was a long standing Thai restaurant suddenly closed down overnight for no known reason not long ago around here, and I was joking with my gf the last time we went there for a meal that I could smell farmyard smell (I actually could) at the bottom of the stairs in their building (Upstairs was the restaurant)

:x

Put a enough salt on something, eventually it will taste good.

Sea water ? :p

This is not gross allot of the time. I count count how many times people would hit deer in the country in Washington were I grew up and the person who came to help them/tow their car took the deer home and prepared it and sold it. Its kind of hush hush because the state doesn't exactly approve but is entirely common place here.